Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOWING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOWING
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 10:58pm
HELLO FOLKS...…...BEEN WAITING A LONG TIME TO POST THIS QUESTION.
TOWED IT A COUPLE OF TIMES IN THE PAST AND CAME UP WITH A HECK OF A WHINE,HOWL,ETC.
I DIDN'T PUT THE TRANSFER IN NEUTRAL AND THE JEEP IN GEAR.WHICH IS WHAT I USED TO DO WITH MY LATE MODEL GRAND CHEROKEES. SHOULD I HAVE DONT THIS WITH MY OLE '46? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO CAUSE THIS AND WHAT DO I HAVE TO TEAR APART TO FIX IT?
JUST BOTHERSOME,AND I MANY NOT GET TO FIX IT IN MY LIFETIME...……….LOL
JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR ALL YOU WIZARDS ON HERE. GLAD YOU ARE ALL HERE.

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 11:02pm
TRY TO IGNORE THE SPELLING IN THE PREVIOUS POST...….THE WORD SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE INSTEAD OF DON'T AND DOWN FARTHER...……...SHOULD BE MAY INSTEAD OF MANY...…..
'46 CJ2A South Texas
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 11:30pm
So does the whine happen now when you drive the jeep or was that only while towing? When I flat towed I would always put the transfer case in neutral and the the trans in 3rd gear... hubs unlocked. 
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 12:06am
HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY
THE WHINE IS WHEN I AM DRIVING...………..WHAT YOU SAID,IS WHAT I DIDN'T DO...……...20-20 HINDSIGHT...……...JUST CURIOUS WHAT ALL I HAVE TO DO TO GET RID OF THE WHINE...……….IS IT IN THE REAR-END OR TRANSMISSION OR?

THANKS AGAIN

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 1:03am
The transfer case only receives oil from the transmission when the transmission is rotating. SO if you turn the transfer case with the drive shaft for an extended period of time like Towing more then a couple miles. You will drive a good portion of the gear oil in the transfer case into the transmission allowing the upper part of the transfer case to be operating with no gear oil.

This will cause rapid wear on the bushings bearings shafts and to a lessor degree the gears themselves.

The best way to flat tow a Willys Jeep with a T-90 / D-18 gear box combo is to drop the rear drive shaft that way not even the output bearing on the transfer case is rotating.

So drop rear drive line. Unlock front hubs and only your axles will be rotating and they are self lubricating.

If you are going to be towing for short distances (IMHO less then 10 miles with no HWY speeds) then you can just kick the transfer case into Neutral and unlock your hubs.

I know guys will say I towed for hundreds of miles with out doing any of that your crazy.

I would love to see a chart comparing these people to the ones who won't drive over 45 mph cause it sounds like its coming apart.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Joe B. Joe B. wrote:

HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY
THE WHINE IS WHEN I AM DRIVING...………..WHAT YOU SAID,IS WHAT I DIDN'T DO...……...20-20 HINDSIGHT...……...JUST CURIOUS WHAT ALL I HAVE TO DO TO GET RID OF THE WHINE...……….IS IT IN THE REAR-END OR TRANSMISSION OR?

THANKS AGAIN

Joe B.

your rear end is probably fine.... the problem is most likely in your transfer case or transmission. You could run a few tests but will likely have to disassemble the trivetrain to inspect for damage.  Put the transfer case in neutral and run it in run it at some different rpms in each gear to see if the noise occurs. There wont be any load but if the damage is bad enough you will still hear it. In the end you will probably end up pulling the trans and t-case....take it apart to find the toasted bearing and replace it...  
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 5:44pm
Could the whine be something simple as the driveshaft is not aligned?   I knew better but still hooked it wrong.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 9:32pm
It could be your tires as well. You may not notice it when you are driving as there is enough Jeep noise to mask it.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 9:52pm
Could be a ring and pinion issue.  Remove the rear drive shaft and unlock the font hubs - then flat tow it.  If you still have the noise - pull the rear differential cover and see whats going on in there.

Before you do anything make sure you have gear lube in the differentials, transmission, transfer case and steering gear (just for good measure).
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply