Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

STEERING COLUMN LENGTH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STEERING COLUMN LENGTH
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I haven't ever done this, at least not in a jeep, but I have in other vehicles, so I'll throw my $.02 in.
  There are a lot of variables, each project has its own requirements: What kind of steering gear are you using? Where will it be mounted? What kind of angle do you want on the column? How do you want the shaft to run from the column to the gear? What obstacles do you have in the way? What kind of steering wheel do you plan to use? And as Mark says, andandand. In the case of a modification such as this, You just about have to work it out yourself.  BW

I agree it is somthing one has to work out .

However, finding out what folks have found to work well helps greatly. If possible, I plan on keeping the same angle for the column. I already have moved the motor mount  to make room for the shaft. Go to "your jeep project / My '47 CJ-2A."  Will be using a manual sag box mounted up by front bumper. Plan on a 15" flat steering wheel.

I have experience with this conversion on Jeepster Commandos...look up my past posts....and have done two conversions on flatties back in'68 waaay before it became populor. All this great after market goodies did not exist or not easily on hand.  Back then I used VW columns with a wood grain Empi wheel.

With ALL the cool stuff out there today, for flatties,  I am simply looking for input on what works for the basic conversion.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 6:14pm
I haven't ever done this, at least not in a jeep, but I have in other vehicles, so I'll throw my $.02 in.
  There are a lot of variables, each project has its own requirements: What kind of steering gear are you using? Where will it be mounted? What kind of angle do you want on the column? How do you want the shaft to run from the column to the gear? What obstacles do you have in the way? What kind of steering wheel do you plan to use? And as Mark says, andandand. In the case of a modification such as this, You just about have to work it out yourself.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 4:26pm
Hmmmmmmmm no reply
Lets try this approach, what length steering column did you use?

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2019 at 10:32pm
Hello

I have read so much stuff on after-market steering columns that I am more confused then normalConfused

I need a littleShocked extra room between the steering wheel and me so for safety and comfort, I am planning to use a steering column with the  turn signal switch  and tilt in it.  

QUESTION:
If measuring from bottom end of shaft to the the top of the collar, what length column is best?   28", 30", 32". 

The measurment would not include any steering wheel adapter or steering wheel.
Planning on not modifiying the drivers seat for extra room.

thanks, Jim

Edited by jeepsterjim - 23 Apr. 2019 at 10:35pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply