Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T 90 A1 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T 90 A1 question
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2019 at 7:00pm
working on a T 90 A-1 out of an M38. It’s a bit of a mystery basket case jeep and has me pulling out some more hair from my head. 

While out on my 4th test drive a bolt that had been left loose in the transmission jammed on a gear and broke the case. I pulled the transmission with plans of using a spare T 90 A-1 case but have found some unexpected differences. First is the broken case does not have any provisions for an oil slinger, no slinger installed and no mounting holes for it in the case. The 2 smaller thrust washers were missing and only 1 of the synchronizer springs were installed. I could see the spring being missed but with the case differences I thought I would pose the question about the thrust washers. 

Will the internal parts of all T 90 A-1 interchange? I talked with Novak when I ordered the parts I needed but they have not run across a case like the one I’m working with. 

Hoping someone here could shed some light on it for me. Case ID photo below. 

Mike

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2019 at 8:05pm
I've read that they did away with the oil slinger on later T90s.  I rebuilt a spare one last November and used a sealed front bearing.  From what I read and watched on videos, I could have done away with the slinger or kept it.  I decided to keep it.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2019 at 8:56pm
Fun Fact - T90c does not have an oil slinger.  It uses the same case at the T90a, its cluster gear is larger and will not fit into the case if the oil slinger is  installed.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2019 at 11:16pm
I’ll check the cluster gears in both cases. Any other way to tell if it was a T 90C ?
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2019 at 11:33pm
Input gears are 18 tooth and cluster gears are 33 tooth in each.

It still could be a reworked T 90C case I assume. 

Mike 

Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 1:17am
It does sound like someone has been in it for some reason.
I bet between the two of them, you can come up with a good trans.
1946 CJ2A 14098
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 3:18am
I agree, as long as the cases are interchangeable I’m good. It could have saved a more costly repair then a small parts kit and two oil slinger bolts. The bolt in the tranny was the same size as the six top cover bolts. Head did not match any of the other six but there were only three of those that matched, three others were all different. What was in the case was the one bolt and two matching lock washers. May have dropped two in and found one and forgot the other one. The case was mounted and closed up when I started this project. I pulled the shifter tower and the case was bone dry, looked like a fresh rebuild that had never had oil in it. The engine had some type of fluid in it but it was not oil. Smelled like old fuel oil. 

Who ever rebuilt the transmission left out the two small thrust washers on the countershaft and one of the springs for the synchronizer assembly. The front thrust washer showed some heavy wear.

Anyway I have a few T 90 cases laying around but the internal parts are harder to come by in usable condition. Could have been worse. It’s been a fun project. 

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply