Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me ID an engine please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me ID an engine please
    Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:02pm
I bought a 1950 Jeepster on line, I thought it had 161 ovh valve engine. Well the engine is longer then 161 (sort of a cob job of instalation). I would like to sell the engine but need to identify what it is.
Casting # 649656 (-3WF) Serial # GP57492
I'm guessing maybe 1954 that might have gone into a truck?
Any help so I could put it up for sale.
TomRes

TomRes
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:14am
Any 54 truck engine (Willys) would have been a Flat Head if its a 6 cyl. Cause any 4 if going to be shorter then that 6cyl you thought it was.

How about a photo

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TomRes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:25am
How do I insert a photo, I am a newbie.
I have had flat head 161 in my Jeepster but they had a 161 OHV 161 in 50 which this car is. 
The problem is it is to long by about 3 or 4 inches so definatly not 1950 161.
I bought a 161 OHV that fits but want to sell this engine. I must find out what it is before I advertise it.
It runs good just not the right engine for my Jeepster.
Tom
TomRes
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:53pm
Is the WF next to the oil pump boss? Typically the 148 and 161s have WF cast in the blocks for Wilson Foundry. They are the only blocks I know to have that.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
TomRes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:58pm
I will check, Thanks
TomRes
TomRes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:50am
Is the 148 longer then the 161?
When did the 148 get used and what vehicle did they put it in?
Tom
TomRes
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:29am
Welcome to the page, TomRes!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:28pm
TomRes,

I believe both engines have the same external dimensions. I am only going by what I've heard and have nothing to substantiate that. 

L-148 was used 1948 and 1949.
L-161 was used 1950 and 1951.

They were used in Jeepsters and 2WD wagons and pickups. 

Bill 

Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:48pm
Tom,

To insert a photo, you must use the "Post Reply" button that is at the lower left of the last thread, not the 'quick-reply' immediately below the last thread.

Next click on the green-ish icon button in the ribbon above your text window, which, when you place your cursor over it, and pause, a dialog window should pop-up saying "Image Upload", and click it.
   Next click the "Browse" button and navigate to the photo whether it is on your hard drive or a thumb-drive. (geesh, I priced a 32 gig thumb-drive yesterday at Walmart, and I was only $5.00. cheap).
   Navigate to the photo of choice, and highlight it and in that dialog box at the bottom click "load."    Be patient, because sometimes it takes several seconds for things to happen.
    Next, when the Black Box appears, click "OK", and sit back and wait for the first dialog box to Flash, and you should see the script appear on your thread, and normally towards the bottom of the window of text you are writing.
When the row of text for the photo appears, you may close the "insert" boxes.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Edited by Greaser007 - 26 May 2019 at 5:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply