Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear axle problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear axle problem
    Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:31am
I have a 1946 CJ2A that has small metal tubing connected near the top of the back cover of the rear axle differential. The tube runs forward to an elevated position in the engine compartment and is open at the end. I think it may have been to vent the axle and prevent water from entering the vent during fording of creeks. The problem I have is there is axle oil coming out of the tube after I drive for some distance on the highway and things heat up. When I park it leaves a good size puddle under the tube discharge. I have checked the knuckle for gear oil level and it is a little below the fill plug. Any ideas what is causing this axle oil discharge through the tube? wrong gear oil, axle problem, other? 

Thanks.
Old Medic
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:39am
Is this is a model 23-2 full floating rear axle or ???
You say the cover itself has a vent ?
I will speculate that it is a vented rear cover and the inner splash guard is missing.
Inner splash guard would be tacked to inside of cover in front of fill plug.
So when differential is spinning during operation it is slinging gear lube directly into the extended (modified) breather tube.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Dave Jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:05am
I believe it is the original axle 23-2 full floating, 538 ratio. The only vent is in the rear cover that shows in the manual. However, there is a elbow fitting screwed into this opening in the cover with the tube attached to the this fitting. The fitting/tube being near the top of the axle cover and end of the tube in the engine compartment is above the axle level so I cant figure it would be a siphon effect. I have not pulled the cover, so I can do that to check to see if it has a splash shield or not.
Thanks.
Old Medic
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:14am
Not familiar with 23-2 as  was used on CJ's.
Is this a sheet metal cover or a heavy cast cover ?
Cast covers certainly would not have a splash shield. 
Not sure about  23-2 used on 2A...

The only other rear covers that are vented with internal splash guard are the M38 / M38A1 Dana 44 rear covers.
Those D44 covers certainly would not fit the D23-2.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Dave Jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:01am
Well I was going by the maintenance manual description that says I have a spicer model 23-2. The cover appears to be formed sheet metal. The part number on the cast axle knuckle is 18428, and there is a metal tag unde rone of the rear cover bolts that has 43/8. Another attached tag on the rear cover says use hypoid oil only.
Old Medic
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:27pm
Yeah well I'm really not familiar with 23-2 that was used on early CJ2A.
But yeah that sounds right to me having a sheet metal cover.
Compared to earlier the MB and GPW that have thick cast covers both front and rear.

Since it is a stamped sheet metal cover I would expect that it had an internal lube splash shield at one time.
And a missing shield would be about the main way that lube gets thrown up into your modified breather tube.

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply