Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here We Go Again 10646

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here We Go Again 10646
    Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:21am
My wife and I made a trip to Florida and picked up this 45 CJ2A S/N 10646. From what I understand, the jeep spent most of its' life on a farm in Alabama. The plan is to put it back to an original state. Some body work has been done - note the beautiful blue color that it currently sports. (Matches my old Ford 3000 in the background!) Jeep starts, runs, and stops, so that is a fine start. Frame obviously needs some work as it was tweaked pretty good at some point. Bob, it was great to meet you and visit yesterday. It's gonna take some time and $$ to get it back where it needs to be, but we are gonna make it happen. Tom

EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:55am
Wow! You must be living right. Enjoy!
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 2:40am
Dang that is one nice start of a restoration. I concur with EMyers completely, you must be living right!
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:53am
Very nice! Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:50pm
Thanks for the kind words. I feel pretty fortunate to have found one in this condition.
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:02pm
I found a little more information in the paperwork I received with the Jeep. It appears to have been bought by a farmer as surplus? from Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, AL. Supposedly, there is Air Force Blue under the current blue paint. The farmer used it on the farm for many years. He passed away. His wife sold it to a neighbor who started some of the body and mechanical work. He had it less than 5 years before putting it up for sale in a Jeep consignment shop in Florida. Bob (the guy I bought it from) found it there and bought it a couple of years ago and put it up for safe keeping.
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:56pm
I took a few more pictures the other day. Note the wonderful paint job on the underside of the hood. Solex carburetor will go. Transmission numbers also show up fairly well.

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 2:27pm
Very Nice Find!
If I can be of any help please let me know!
Good luck with it Tom!    
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:20pm
Congrats Tom on your find.That a nice Jeep to start a restoration .Thumbs Up

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Lhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:41pm
Tom, this is very interesting to me for the following reasons; I restored my 1946 CJ2A to look like an Air Force tribute Jeep. BUT, there was no Air Force in 1946. The AF was established in 1947 after the Army Air Corps was transitioned to become the US Air Force. So your jeep couldn't have been a genuine AF jeep, at least not from new. If it was perviously Army Air Corps, it would have have been Army Green. But it also wouldn't have been a CJ2A, but rather an MB. I have concocted a story (for show purposes) that my jeep MIGHT have been a civilian jeep purchased by the "new" AF in their early days. However, my jeep doesn't have the tool indents on the drivers side as yours does which are typical of the military jeeps. I think maybe some of the earliest CJ2As did still have the indents, but I thought those also had the 3 separate data plates on the dash. Although yours appear to be missing, from what I see the holes appear to be for a single plate. I'm certainly no expert so hopefully someone else will chime in. Just another jeep mystery! But a great looking jeep and looks like an easy restoration project or keep it like it is and drive it.

Larry...
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Lhead Lhead wrote:

I think maybe some of the earliest CJ2As did still have the indents...

All the '45s and some of the '46s had the indents.  Someone here can give the ending date for the indents, I'm sure.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 6:07am
NO MB had the Coil Start Key Holes in the Dash and all had the Large Dual Dash lights. NO MB had the external fuel fill with the 10.5 gallon tank. No post 1942 MB said Willys on it. Never heard of a Military Jeep with column shift unless maybe one of the later DJ-5's

Your Jeep is a civilian model CJ-2A now if it is a 1945 production year then no way would it have been bought by any US military as they had MB's and GPW's stacked up all over the place like cord wood.

There were some civilian jeep bought by the military much later in the 40's but then that does not match what you have as they would have only bought new. Yours would have been 2-4 year old by that time.

Like 75% of the stories told about old jeeps this one is almost certainly a fabrication of someones.

That said. SO WHAT thats a GREAT VEC 2A to restore. You quite lucky IMHO
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 12:07pm
I agree and would have thought that there would have been a BUNCH of military surplus jeeps that the Air Force could have used at the base in Montgomery. Of course, the old farmer who bought it early on is dead - and so there goes any means of verifying the early ownership story. I'm like you Mark, it's a good one to work on and restore. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT BLUE COLOR GONE!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 6:26pm
Thats funny TWN this is my CHUG I have just finished painting for the second time (it was to thin to wet sand out the first time)

I couldn't wait to get rid of the Reddish Orange that was on CHUG for the last 50 years.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 11:24pm
Please don't take any offense Mark! My hat is off to you for taking on your own body and paint work. Besides, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... Tom
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

NO MB had the Coil Start Key Holes in the Dash and all had the Large Dual Dash lights. NO MB had the external fuel fill with the 10.5 gallon tank. No post 1942 MB said Willys on it. Never heard of a Military Jeep with column shift unless maybe one of the later DJ-5's

Your Jeep is a civilian model CJ-2A now if it is a 1945 production year then no way would it have been bought by any US military as they had MB's and GPW's stacked up all over the place like cord wood.

There were some civilian jeep bought by the military much later in the 40's but then that does not match what you have as they would have only bought new. Yours would have been 2-4 year old by that time.

Like 75% of the stories told about old jeeps this one is almost certainly a fabrication of someones.

That said. SO WHAT thats a GREAT VEC 2A to restore. You quite lucky IMHO

research the Willys MA
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:27am
Originally posted by TWN TWN wrote:

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT BLUE COLOR GONE!

If I were the sensitive type I'd be offended by that statement, blue being my favorite color.  But I'm not sensitive, so----what color are you wanting the Jeep to be?  Smile

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 9:05pm
I'm planning to go the Harvest Tan route. Sounds like we have a common trait wrt the lack of sensitivity!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>