Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M151 ZENITH CARB ON A .F HEAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M151 ZENITH CARB ON A .F HEAD
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:36pm
Hi guys

Some of you have or seen a side draft carb on a F head motor which works well in CJ2A's . Don't have to cut up the hood.

The M151 useses a Zenith side draft carb that is bolted up to a 142 C.I. 4 banger motor.  Would this carb work well for the F-134?   It was mentioned that the YH is to small so is the M151 carb to big?  

If it would work,  I will still need to find a 90 degree adapter.  Wonder what would work. 

Thanks, Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:18pm
I saw this exact setup at the Fall Reunion last year. I never had a chance to talk to the guy about it to see how it works. I love the Zenith carburetor on my M151 and don’t know why this setup wouldn’t work great on the f head in a 2A.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:46am
HHi everyone. I just finished putting a F134 in my CJ2A. Right side motor mount standard, left side used 1/4" rubber bushing between frame mount and front engine plate (F-head, but an L-Head plate would have been cleaner), Holley 1920  glass bowl with a 1/4" square cross section o-ring on top, then the air horn. Zero clearance between air horn and hood, but everything closes, and didn't have to cut the hood (did have to remove about 6" of seam, but no big deal). Used 1/4" Cu tubing for fuel from pump to carb, with an in line filter; bends easily and a cinch to install. Runs great.
I think a Holley 1904 or maybe 1908 would work fine too. Several Chinese repops on eBay for about $150 if a Holley can't be found.
It all worked for me, but I'd like to learn more about the side draft.
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 4:48am
Originally posted by WKWillys WKWillys wrote:

HHi everyone. I just finished putting a F134 in my CJ2A. Right side motor mount standard, left side used 1/4" rubber bushing between frame mount and front engine plate (F-head, but an L-Head plate would have been cleaner), Holley 1920  glass bowl with a 1/4" square cross section o-ring on top, then the air horn. Zero clearance between air horn and hood, but everything closes, and didn't have to cut the hood (did have to remove about 6" of seam, but no big deal). Used 1/4" Cu tubing for fuel from pump to carb, with an in line filter; bends easily and a cinch to install. Runs great.
I think a Holley 1904 or maybe 1908 would work fine too. Several Chinese repops on eBay for about $150 if a Holley can't be found.
It all worked for me, but I'd like to learn more about the side draft.

Josh
Yes the Holley carb works well but is very tight and the linkage can be tough to get just right..

I'm trying to find the history of and parts used for the side draft carb  set up shown below and use it for my project.  Pics show two different CJ's with the same set up.  Most interesting. to me, what appears to be a heated canister that the carb is bolted to.  Why?   Someone knows of this set up and I hope they will fill in the blanks.  

Would be fun to find what was used and offer this set up once again.  Just for fun.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:52pm
Jeepsterjim, I’m guessing the coolant heated elbow keeps the carb from icing up in cold weather, this is a problem on a stock YF equipped F head here in the north country in very cold weather.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Jeepsterjim, I’m guessing the coolant heated elbow keeps the carb from icing up in cold weather, this is a problem on a stock YF equipped F head here in the north country in very cold weather.

Lee

Wondered on that too.   Rumor has it the Mile High Jeep Club from Colorado built these units and having a heat exchanger would make since.   Maybe  a canister that they welded in a 90 degree elbow into it. Thus, the elbow would be engulfed in warm water. OR there is simply a lenght of pipe going through the canister.   Sure would be great to have pics of the canister when off the motor.    

It is "OLD SCHOOL" but a good way to put a F head in a 2A/3A.

The Navy's M38 APU used a f head but had a scoop built on the hood.  There was a few different styles of it.  Anyone have a APU hood?

Someone must have knowledge on this set up.   

Edited by jeepsterjim - 21 May 2019 at 2:25am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:46am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

I'm trying to find the history of and parts used for the side draft carb  set up shown below and use it for my project.  Pics show two different CJ's with the same set up.  Most interesting. to me, what appears to be a heated canister that the carb is bolted to.  Why?   Someone knows of this set up and I hope they will fill in the blanks.  

would be fun to find what was used and offer this set up once again.  Just for fun.

The Red one is Doug Timme's from here on the 2A Page...

Jim Allen wrote this while covering the Hueston Woods "Celebration of Working Jeeps" in JP Magazine:
"When the 75 hp F-134 engine was introduced in 1950, everyone wanted to swap out their flatheads for the more powerful F-head. On the low hood jeeps, the problem was clearance because of the overhead intake valves. Some hackmeisters simply cut a hole in the hood. Other used shorter carbs (the short Holly from the Ford 144ci six was common) or oddball air filter arrangements. Some went with a sidedraft Carter. There was a vintage kit to install a sidedraft Carter YH carburetor on F-134 engines. We're not sure who did the kit but have seen several. So far, the commonality is they all seem to have been found on Jeeps from Colorado. We have a feeling the late, great Mile-Hi Jeep Club in Denver might have had a hand in them. The YH was used in triple form on the '53-'54 Corvette Blue Flame Six and was seen also on the turbo Corvair. Doug Timme's '48 CJ-2A was converted to an F-head long before he restored it, and he decided to leave the vintage conversion in place."
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:21am
THANKS ART!

Here's a good pic of the set up...Thanks Doug

Second pic is a M38 APU....this is one of a few different type scoops they used.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 21 May 2019 at 2:29am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:46am
Spoke with a guy today about the F head carb being to tall for the flat fender hood.  He told me of another way to solve the carb problem.

He used a Solex carb that's for the F head but removed the spacer on the bottom of the carb. One would need to enlarge the two mounting holes a tiny bit but after that, it will install just fine.  Have any of you heard of this set up?  

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:47am
Have a holley on my GPW with a f head. Its a nice set up. Just wish the previous owner would have done it instead of cutting the hood.
I turned the top of the holley down to fit a L head elbow. Had a arm big welded on the throttle shaft to make linkage work.
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply