Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Checking the Unobtainium Index

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking the Unobtainium Index
    Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:00pm
Thanks for your posts.

I'll keep those on my list. 

I have the bracket for the mirror on the outside of the Jeep, but I suspect the arm and mirror are missing unless they are in the loose parts. I'll know more when I get there in a couple weeks.

From the photos I have, I think the rear view mirror on the windshield is not correct, though it's pretty close and might just be a different type of original.

I suspect the horn, particularly if it's a Sparton, is another tough one. I have an original on my GPW that took me a while to track down. I might consider going the repro route on that, as the ones on the market seem to be getting good reviews. 

I'll be sure to post images once I get to the jeep in person.

John
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:53pm
Keyed coil
Engine Hand crank
Rear view mirror and bracket
WARN Overdrive

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:14pm
I don't have that part, but I have a 48 CJ2A which is a parts donor for the Jeep I am building, which is a MB, so there are a number of things on the civilian Jeep I will not be using. 

For certain I will not be using the hood, grill, tailgate or windshield frame, all of which, with exception of the tailgate, are decent on this Jeep.

See you are in DC. I travel to central WVa several times a year, which is not very far from DC, so if you end up needing something I have you would not have too far to drive to pick it up.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:19am
Hi, 

I'm just a couple weeks away from heading to Texas to pick up CJ 11662, and in anticipation I'm giving some thought to what parts I might need to hunt down.

I'm not planning on putting a PTO on mine, so that rules out a bunch of potentially hard to find and/or pricey items, but one that I think is going to be on my list is the key assembly that goes with the dash-mounted coils. 

The coil is presently on the block like the military ones were. From my research, however, I believe this is supposed to have the coil in the dash with an integral key assembly. I've been doing some poking around on eBay, it appears the coils are available as is the mounting bracket, though to a lesser extent. But I haven't come across the key assembly and from my reading of various posts on this site and others, I get the feeling that might be one of the tricky parts to come by.

Anyone care to share insights on that, plus any other items that I should brace for impact on?

Sincerely,

John
 Post Reply Post Reply