Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gloss in Body Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:53am
OK I never should have said a thing. Sorry

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:37pm
Mark/Tim, OBVIOUSLY you are both valued long time contributing members to this page. There is plenty of room for opinions to be shared, and many times the leeway we provide our members to stray from the original topic of the post reveals other ideas and subjects of interest.

Willys sampled their paint batches and did sprayout cards. When Renault discarded them in February 1982 a number of them were saved by employees and shared. My interest at the time was the Military colors from 41-81, but It looks like I did end up with President Red and Parkway Green from the early 60's. These have the same relative gloss as the samples of Willys auto paint from the 1940's. Yes, the Willys procedures are documented.

They could be buffed out to a higher shine, but the plant concentrated on paint thickness, not gloss. There was significant variation based on existing photos.
The most common discrepancies from original I see is the extensive efforts to make spot weld go away.

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:18pm
"Mark/Tim, OBVIOUSLY you are both valued long time contributing members to this page. There is plenty of room for opinions to be shared, and many times the leeway we provide our members to stray from the original topic of the post reveals other ideas and subjects of interest."

Exactly, I like to think of threads as fluid conversations. If we were sitting around a camp fire having this discussion, no one would be told they were straying off topic. I think this gets lost in the impersonal nature of the internet sometimes. Of course, there is the other end of the spectrum where someone asks a question about tire pressure and 6 posts later someone is touting the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. It is all about give and take.

Doug

Oh, and my opinion is that they were fairly shiny when new. Not cut and buffed shiny, but certainly single stage implement shiny.

Edited by Doug Timme - 26 May 2019 at 5:21pm
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

"6 posts later someone is touting the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.
Doug

African or European??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

"6 posts later someone is touting the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.
Doug

African or European??

My money is on the North American Barn Swallow. We have then dive bombing us where we park our trucks at work the only thing compared to the Blue Angels they are missing is a good barrel roll.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:57pm
Yes, but neither of those swallows could carry a coconut, unless of course maybe they tied the coconut to a string between two swallows...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:09am
Awesome! I was hoping my reference would be picked up on, otherwise I might have to break out the Holy Hand Grenade..... and this is how threads get off track....Wink
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:12am
Speaking of that, I see you made it through the storms OK.....I guess I should have titled it Jefferson City/ St Louis area storms the other day.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:05pm
Yes, we made it through OK, thanks. It is so strange that you can be fine and a few miles away from you people are getting pounded. The worst part of the storm skirted around us. 

Doug 
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:47am
Gentlemen - Thank You again for your inputs. I have spoken to my paint guy who used to look after my father's old Fiat. The brief is to imagine he was painting in the 70s and try and get that kind of finish. 

The original paint samples are enormous help. 

I hope to share the results with you guys soon. 

The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:32am
I dunno, but I painted my Jeep in tan with semi-gloss clear coat. Looks good to me.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:18pm
Yeah, but I want to know about those two pig stickers on the dash panel drawing, that seems a little random.  Particularly, the Bowie, I know the other one is a Ka-bar.πŸ€”
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   β€œNewt”

My Videos
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:00pm
The paint samples are in the same drawer as the dash drawing I was looking at.
The pig stickers are what I use to hold the drawings down, but I took them out of their sheath's since Mark was/is a knife guy.

It's not your everyday bowie...
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:20pm
Don't mess with Mr. Friday..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

It's not your everyday bowie...

Well don't leave us hangin'....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Yeah, but I want to know about those two pig stickers on the dash panel drawing, that seems a little random.  Particularly, the Bowie, I know the other one is a Ka-bar.πŸ€”

Never did get Mark's attention, but the BOWIE is unused, and was my dad's.
I think it's 1940's? Heavy SOB

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:16pm
Wow! Beautiful.....that's a keeper for sure!

Take 3 or 4 minutes sometime and YouTube the late, great Guy Clark doing 'The Randall Knife'.

At least read the lyrics but it's best to hear his studio version.

I have heard it hundreds of times in different versions and have never gotten through it dry-eyed yet....always reminds me of dearly departed men in my life.

Give it a listen...you can't NOT like the emotions in the song.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I know the other one is a Ka-bar.πŸ€”

That's an Air Force survival knife.  Did Ka-Bar make those?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>