Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gloss in Body Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 4:28am

That's an Air Force survival knife.  Did Ka-Bar make those?
[/QUOTE]

CORRECT !

It was issued to my dad in October 1954 when he was working at Patrick AFB in Stewart Florida. I don't know the manufacturer.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:01am
I found this topic very interesting as I am in the process of painting my jeep at this time, I was using two body parts to try and match up the paint as close as possible , after painting the body I dug out my samples from my body and compared for colour and shine or glossiness and compared to the single stage paint I used and I found colour was good and for gloss or shine it was spot on, the only thing that is noticeable is the thickness or possibly the number of coats of paint the factory applied to the body , I applied 3 coats of paint and from what I can tell the factory may have applied one very heavy coat or two light coats of paint as just enough paint to cover the steel but still look good, one of the things to think about is paint cost money and the factory is not going to apply any more paint than is necessary , just like any car manufacture they will look at saving penny's per part and in the big picture it turns into dollars per vehicle of profit.     
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:47am
Many times the paint application or thickness will be specified in the BOM (Bill of Materials) for a specific vehicle.

I'm fairly certain I have that information somewhere, and I will try to confirm.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:59pm
Here you go Keith....early Fathers' Day present.
From one of the best storytellers.... RIP Guy

(those that listen to this, take a minute and read the comments under the video)

Edited by rocnroll - 30 May 2019 at 7:06pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 2:59am

Used Duco Paint. Supposed to age well. 

Please ignore the green bits of the frame - that will be fixed ! 

I am quite pleased with the level of gloss personally 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:50am
I come back to this late. But to answer why I made no comment on the knives. while I was a Custom Knifemaker for 14 years, I was never into antiques or collectable knives I know very little about either.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2020 at 6:55pm
I know I'm a little late to the party, but under the cj2a parts project in the reference photos the 3rd photo shows a 2a that looks to have nice shine with a good refection of the jeep delivery svc logo off the windshield frame reflecting in the hood and the 2nd photo showing the willys logo on the side of the hood reflecting on the top of the fender. 
Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123