Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2a locking hub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2a locking hub
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:37pm
Hi again,
A prior owner installed front locking hubs on our ‘48 CJ2a.  We need to replace the wheel cylinder so assume I need to remove these hubs.  But I can’t figure out how to do it. There not enough clearance around the bolts to use my thin wall socket to remove them.  Any suggestions, instructions?  Do I need a special tool?
Thanks Steve 

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:55pm
Did you try a 1/4 drive socket?
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:59pm
I know somebody will have better advice, but i have the same hubs on my jeep. What i did was put the socket on at an angle and loosen the bolts. My bolts were not really tight which is good because you can strip the hub easily. Also you might be able to use an open end wrench too.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Did you try a 1/4 drive socket?

Was going to ask what ratchet you were trying.....a 3/8 deepwell won't fit?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:56pm
Its the thickness of the socket.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:08pm
It appears to me as if those Bolts have a larger head then the ones on My Warn hubs.

I would suggest if you have a thrift shop or Pawn shop close by that sells misc. cheap sockets (around here they throw them all in a tub and price at .50 to 1.00 each) buy a couple the correct size then take them to a bench grinder and thin the wall down. OR if you have an angle grinder place them in a vise and thin them down with it.

I have any number of shall we say customized tools that were made for certain things. Like open end wrenches that are just a bit more then 1/8" thick to reach thin jam nuts or something.

You could also thin down a Box end wrench the same way if that would be easier.

Then replace the Bolts with Flanged Hex head bolts and you won't have this problem again.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:48pm
Thanks 1/4” Drive socket worked.  I didn’t think to try because I mistakenly guessed the bolts would be really tight.
Next step to remove the large bolt (bigger than any socket I own) under the locking hub.  Looks like previous owner has tightened or loosened this bolt by hitting around with a chisel or big screwdriver.  Any advice for this step?
Thanks again
Steve

Edited by SNOW5022 - 25 May 2019 at 11:50pm
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:49pm
Oh flanged bolts are excellent idea!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:39am
  I won't mention the brand of tools that I use, but I have no trouble getting any of my sockets on those bolts. Buy good tools and take care of them, and you won't have these troubles.
  The large nut you ask about, guessing from the remark about the chisel marks, must be the spindle nut. The solution is here:  

And here:  

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:05am
Got it thanks 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by SNOW5022 SNOW5022 wrote:

Looks like previous owner has tightened or loosened this bolt by hitting around with a chisel or big screwdriver.

Typical Bubba work.  Don't be like Bubba, get the spindle nut wrench.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:42am
Spindle wrench arrived and solved that problem.
Impossible to remove lower eccentrics, so we removed the backing plates with shoes in place.  We then removed old shoes and wheel cylinders while everything was on the work bench.  
Thanks again for all the help.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply