Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep in Moab with Steve and Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa’s Jeep in Moab with Steve and Alan
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:04am
I got a chance to head to Moab fir a few days with Alan (tamnalan) and Steve (3A Steve) and some of their family members. It has been a great trip. We ran Hell’s Revenge and Poison Spider and these guys guys did great. I didn’t take too many pictures or videos on those trails, but I’ll see if I can put something together when I get back.

Today we did a less challenging trail, but the scenery was spectacular. We drove up to Gemini Bridges, then pushed on the Canyonlands National Park, Island in The Sky. We stopped in at the visitors center for a minute then drove down the Shafer Switchbacks and on to the Colorado River and back to Moab via the Potash Road.

Here’s some pictures.

Here you can see a little bit of the shelf road that is the Shafer trail. If you zoom way in you can see Steve and Alan’s jeeps rolling along about in the middle of the photo.

Here’s what you see while driving that shelf road.

Here’s me standing in the spot from which I took the previous picture. About 3 feet behind me the edge drops off many hundreds of feet.

Some if the switchbacks.

Looking straight down on some of the switchbacks.

Looking back at the cliff that we just drove down. Can anyone really see a possible line where a road might go? 

Wild flower shot.

Some rock formations that I thought were interesting.

Colorado River shots.

Somewhere along here is where Thelma and Louise drove off the cliff.

More wildflowers. In all the years I have been coming to Moab I have never seen so many wildflowers.

The weather was a little stormy which made the buttes and spires even more beautiful to me.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:13pm
Thanks for the photos.  A few of us did the same thing a few years ago.  Everyone thought we were nuts in those old rigs.  No roll bar, cages. Just gears and wheels.  Tons of fun.  We actually went end of October and lucked out with great weather.  I wish I could post pics, but you did a good job with yours.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:19pm
Awesome pictures Stan! Thank you for sharing.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:01pm
Here’s a short video on Instagram of the beginning of the Shafer Switchbacks. It gives a little bit of a feel of whet it’s like.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:03pm
Stan and Grandpa's Jeep are a legend around Moab.  It seems like every time we pull over, somebody will come up and say hello.

Words just don't capture how stunning this area is and how fun the trails are.  Utah has some fantastic stuff.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:37pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:01pm
Fantastic pictures!  It may be time to convince the family you need a cabin down there somewhere!

Shaffer Trail was the first Moab / Canyonlands trail I ever did, any substantial trail really...and I fell in love with that area!  Just love those upper rim trails and the scenery!

I think, but not sure, that Dead Horse Point is where the movie ending was shot...seems someone told us that while we where there.  Also love the view from above looking at the horseshoe bend of the Green River.   Spectacular scenery! 

So Alan, are you officially retired now?...or is it just travel time?

Edited by ricco - 28 May 2019 at 7:04pm
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by ricco ricco wrote:

I think, but not sure, that Dead Horse Point is where the movie ending was shot...seems someone told us that while we where there. 

The pictures above are down by the river directly below Dead Horse Point. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:08pm
OH!....that must be where they landed!  LOL

She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:08pm
Good to see you have the Texas state flower, the Bluebonnet, growing wild in Utah. Great videos too! Is it called a bluebonnet there also?

I bet some visiting Texan from the panhandle dropped the seeds last time he came through, eh Rick?Wink Wink

Edited by jeeper50 - 28 May 2019 at 11:14pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 5:50am
Ok I notice that a couple of people didn't have their ice cream in the pic. Hopefully they ate it before you took it.Wink

Thanks for sharing Stan!

Mike
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 5:58am
I am officially retired!  Some days aren't as good as others - we have stuff scattered across 3 states  -- but none of the days are bad.  We live in SW Oregon now.  One of this morning's Dayton, Ohio tornadoes touched down only a mile or so from our old house.

Wife Tammy and I are definitely coming back to Moab.  This was her first off-road jeep experience and she loved it.  Stan lined us up with a perfect set of trails.  Pretty sure I hooked her into FCT this year.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:41pm
Amazing pictures and amazing adventure!! I love reading these threads. Thanks for posting!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:40pm
So yesterday I tried to take some GoPro video of the trail. Turned out I just demonstrated my intelligence by mounting the camera in the mount facing backwards instead of forwards. I won’t subject you to all the backwards video I took, but here’s some if it where we climb The Baby Lion’s Back obstacle. Wacko

Edited by smfulle - 29 May 2019 at 11:55pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:14pm
Beautiful!  Ok, those trails go on the bucket list.  
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:01am
Here’s a little video on Instagram of Alan Johnson (tamnalan) making a climb on The Porcupine Rim Trail.
Alan did a great job piloting his stock MB through this challenging trail.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 4:05pm
What great pictures. Thanks for sharing and looks like ya'll had a great time.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

...by mounting the camera in the mount facing backwards instead of forwards.

That was actually a neat change in viewpoint... you reinvented the "selfie" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>