Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to look for when buying a 1946 CJ 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to look for when buying a 1946 CJ 2A
    Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:17am
Hello folks, not new to Jeeps but new to a CJ 2A. 
I am looking at a 1946 CJ 2A. The owner says that it has been restored. The only thing that is not hooked up is the brake lights. 
I am looking to see if you folks can give me any ideas of things to keep my eyes open for.

Any help would be great. 

I have only seen photos but from what I see the Jeep looks in very good shape. 
Thank you 
Jason
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:21am
Welcome Jason
If possible, post pics so the gurus can help you out.  

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:23am
1946 was a very progressive year, if you give us the serial numbers we may be able to give you a more defined answer of what to look for.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:32am
Welcome to the page, Gross3049!  You could possibly find an owner's manual or shop manual to see pics of what things are supposed to look like.  The "Research and history" section of the forum might be helpful there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 5:15am
#1 thing drive it downhill. If it pops out of second (very common) it means you will likely need to rebuild the transmission soon. (major PITA)

Check the shifting for clutch issues. (also PITA to fix)

It's usually the stuff you CAN'T see that cause the most money and work to fix.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:17am
Welcome to the dark side, J... lol, almost ;)

Depending on the state, look for a title first... or for what your state requires to get titled (imho)

All of the above is good advice.  Pics would definitely help us help you.  Things like mismatched parts, repop parts, missing parts or desirable parts are very often picked up on by the crew here.  I love “progressive” as an adjective, lol.  A lot of sometimes subtle changes were made from late 45 into early to mid 46.  These can help date things, fit things together and verify SN ranges.  Barring that, kaiserwillys.com has a decent amount of info in their jeep guide series.

Obviously look for the obvious... rust and other damage.  There aren’t too many places on a 2a for “hidden”.

You’ll want to drive it if possible... hear it run if it can, turn it over with a wrench if it can’t.  Imo, whether or not anything is a PITA will be tied directly to your timeframe and budget more so than the actual problem.  These are very basic buggies, and tons of info and support.  Lots of peeps successfully refurb their own transmissions and more.  Past that, flattys are well supported parts wise.  Tons of used parts are still around, and im pretty almost sure everything could be bought repop at this point...

So pics if you can... and be warned-  these can be more addictive than peanuts.  Anyone can plop 50k and drive plastic, but plastic doesn’t patina well ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 12:21pm
Number one is documentation of clear legal ownership by the seller e.g. title or whatever is required by your state. If this can't be produced, walk away. 

Most of the common things to look at have been mentioned. A few others are:

-Brakes. Are they stock 9" or upgraded? Do they stop well? Why do the brake lights not work? The brake light switch is on the MC. They are problematic, but a fairly easy fix.

-Leaks. How bad does it leak after a good 15 minute drive? They all leak. Only a few drops is pretty good. If a puddle, then be concerned. If no leaks, be very concerned. The trans or transfer case may be empty.

-wiring. Does it have a new, quality witing harness properly installed? If not, beware.

-generator. If it was restored, the generator should have been properly rebuilt. When driving watch the ammeter. It should show a slight positive charge. Turn on the headlights and make sure it still shows a slight positive charge. If not, there are issues.

As mentioned by my exteemed collegues, post photos. We can tell you a lot more from those.

Steve

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 1:24pm
Thank you all. I can’t figure out how to post photos. Could I email them to one of you that knows better on how to post photos?
Ss# is 18567
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 1:44pm
I have face book to so I could send photos that way too.
Thank you. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 2:43pm
I don't mean to blow off your photo posting request. But posting photos is not hard. If you want to be interactive with the good folks here, it's worthwhile taking a few minutes to learn photo posting.  Check out this short thread.

Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:23pm
I get a message every time that says error. 
I have tried several times but I keep getting the same message. 
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:24pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:25pm
That worked!
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:25pm
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:26pm
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:31pm
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:32pm
Let me know folks thank you
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>