Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to look for when buying a 1946 CJ 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:37pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 9:42pm
It looks pretty good as a driver quality jeep. I see its been converted to 12v alternator and has what I think is a M38 windshield. I wouldn't consider it freshly restored, the motor has some years on it since its last refresh. Why the missing dash gauges? It looks like a nice driver, but I don't think the seller should call it restored. That would be a stretch. Refurbished may be a better term. Have you heard it run? What is the asking price? It looks like it would be a fun jeep if the price is right. 

Edited by ndnchf - 09 June 2019 at 9:48pm
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:32pm
I have yet to see it or hear it. It’s about 4 hours away. 
Not sure on the missing gages. 
He is asking 6600 for it.  
I am not crazy about the army theme, but I guess it could be a project down the road. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 12:03am
OK I am just pointing out what I see (I could be wrong on a couple things)

The Rear floor has been covered over this almost always means that under is rusted metal. Which almost always is into the Hat channels (and could be bad under the fuel tank and in the tool box area. this is a typical thing.

Also it appears the tops of the Wheel houses have been covered over agin typically do due to rust.

The one possibility I can think of to do this other then Rust would be to make the Jeep look more like a MB.

The windshield is from a M-38 a 1952 or later Military jeep

Fuel and Water temp gauges are missing.

couple extra holes in the dash lower left

No locking hubs. Not a big deal but should you want to do some hwy stuff nice to be able to unlock the front axle from turning all the time.

Dent in Right step

It appears the Tub Drain holes that should be behind the steps on a Civilian tub are filled.

The Jeep has a bunch of bondo on it witnessed by the missing seams for the tail light panels and the side Body joint. So no telling what the metal looks like under it.
Somethings wrong with the Passenger seat frame its leaning and not at the same height as the drivers.

That is what I see from the Photos.

What if any of this matters all depends on what you plan on doing with the Jeep. For a 46 CJ-2A restoration it might have some unfriendly surprises. For a run around that looks some what like a MB it might be just the ticket.

MAKE SURE IT HAS A TITLE as it has no legal road license plates on it I would wonder.

WOW had not seen the last photo when I typed up my post. Looks like front floor has been booger welded in as well as some serious welding on the Cowl Gusset.

The seller has little if any grasp of the meaning of the word restored.

In my part of the country that would be over priced by 1500-2000.00 compared to what I see for sale in Oregon.

Edited by Mark W. - 10 June 2019 at 12:12am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:13am
Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 3:01am
$6600 for that is high. A much better example could be had for that much. I know what I’m saying here. It’s a nice driver....if that’s what you’re after, but it’s too much money for something with so much potentially wrong with it and with so much not right in terms of parts that’s on it now. 3 to 3.5K to me would be top dollar. I know you may be excited and I remember when I paid too much for a Jeep but you asked and hopefully our collective experience will help guide you.

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:29pm
I gotta agree with that above... I see nothing that says restored, and some of what may have been refurbed I don't like  (but it's easy to be critical Wink)

I see a 2a frame and VEC dash plates, but an M38 windshield at least.  The tub drain hole is missing on the side I can see and the seams at the tail light panels are mudded over...the top isn't right, yada yada.

It looks like a pretty decent start, but I'd not get myself into the 5 or 6k range... like above I think somewhere in the mid 3's to 4k tops with a running engine that's not hemorrhaging or mosquito control, and paperwork...

It looks like someone picked it up far cheaper than that, invested a can of bondo and OD greened to flip.  It's not restored.  I can easily see taking it from what i CAN see to restored easily north of 6k and possibly 10k, and if you could pick it up in the mid threes you could put maybe a grand into making it a decent runner (assuming a decnt engine to start)

It's an opinion...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 8:39pm
Thanks so much for the info everyone. I am going to pass on that one. 
Thanks again 
Jason
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 8:49pm
Keep looking Jason, patience will pay off. I looked for about 6 months on the usual forums, ebay, CL and various Willys facebook groups before I found mine. It wasn't perfect, but it had a solid drivetrain, and was in my price range and driving distance. I've done a lot to it since, but no big surprises. Glad I passed on the first couple I looked at.

Steve

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 9:29pm
Another take on this - There is a lot of 1946ish CJ2A in these photos and some other good stuff.

This maybe a good CJ2A considering it may have spent 70 years in the North East.

It has good front frame rails (so it has probably not been to abused that much), It has a what appears to be a nice early civilian steering wheel, looks like it may have early style drive flanges (could indicate it spent most of its time around the town or on the farm), the horn is early, early data plates, missing the column shift but the dash looks like to would accommodate it, the oil bath air cleaner is later CJ2A, it is hard to see but the CJ2A bow pockets appear to be still there (just barely visible on the drivers rear), Engine looks complete, Draw bar is the early style.  What is under those seat covers - some nice original spring seats with horse hair pads?

It has some updates -  the seat legs have been modified - the M38 windshield (could be traded for a CJ2A windshield), Alternator, 12 volt system, Bondo is in play - So hard to say.

Missing a few gauges, part of the fan shroud is missing - easy to fix and source.

My questions for the seller what has been done?  Is the engine original? Does it smoke? Has the engine been rebuilt?  Transmission - does it pop out of second going down hill?  Has the transmission been rebuilt?  - Does he have the three on the tree - linkage for the column shift laying around?  Does he have the old top and or top bows.  Ask about other parts - the generator, a PTO, a governor and is there by chance a CJ2A windshield?

Might be worth looking at.  Lots of points above to help talk the price down in other posts.

Edited by Stev - 10 June 2019 at 9:34pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 12:20am
 Be sure you understand what JEEP stands for.... Just Empty Every Pocket!!   Seriously  keep looking and the more you go look at the more you will learn what is a good deal when you see it.  Do not  immediately dismantle the jeep but drive it around to experience the wind in your hair that keeps the dream alive. Patina is your friend!!

Ask any questions you have, there are NO stupid questions and we are always looking to help others with our sickness and cures that we have tried !!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:12am
   There have been some really good points mentioned here concerning the correctness of this Willys. This is what is nice about this group is that we have many guys on-the-know for us to draw from for good information.
   I towed home a '46 in Dec 2017, and have not driven it yet, but I am having mucho fun fixing this and that. I am into mine for $2,500 with title transfer and taxes here in northern Calif.   ( I am afraid to mention what I have been spending ), but am about to drop $400 for some custom machining.   
   And am chomping at the bit to keep moving forward with improvements. :)

I should have spent more time looking, but I am very pleased with my little tractor.

Good luck in your searching and post more photos if you have questions of other Willys you may consider.
    Here is a thought:   It appears driveable, so you could take it to Autozone and rent the compression tester and see what it is putting out. My guess is that if it is running pretty smooth that the cylinders are consistent in pressures which is around 100 psi or a tad more hopefully.
Mine checked out at 125 all 4-holes Cold with 4-revolutions each. a relief.

Keep your wallet Open and / or open a Willy's PayPal account.   hahaha

B
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:22am
There's a seller who needs to learn the definition of "restored".  Seat frames are mangled, windshield is either M-38 or early repop, bondo hiding so many seams (some think the seams unsightly, but they're part of the essence of a "real" Jeep), floor and wheelhouses covered with sheet metal VERY likely hiding RUST.  That's overpriced by $4 K at least.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:35pm
I know it’s not a 2A but thought you folks might have some thoughts about this 1951 CJ 3A. Asking 12000 More than I want to spend but you never know  

Edited by Gross3049 - 11 June 2019 at 7:40pm
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:37pm
H
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:38pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:48pm
That's a big step up from the last one :-)  It is 12v, has a Solex carb and newer seats, and funky horn.  Overall a very nice looking jeep. I'd be happy to own it.

If you want to give us your price range, distance willing to travel and any other requirements, we may be able to help locate suitable candidates for you.  I know where a pretty nice CJ2A with matching Bantam trailer is in my area (Virginia).  I have no connection to it, but I saw it on the side of the road. 
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:55pm
I am in central Maine. I would like to be really no more than 6500, but as I know you get what you pay for. 
Maine,New Hampshire, Massachusetts would be as far as I could go. Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>