Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to look for when buying a 1946 CJ 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Gross3049 Gross3049 wrote:

I am in central Maine. I would like to be really no more than 6500, but as I know you get what you pay for. 
Maine,New Hampshire, Massachusetts would be as far as I could go. Thank you

That will help folks keep an eye out for you.  You don't need to worry about this crowd sniping one out from under you.  We already have oursLOL  The northeast should have plenty of them in your price range.  That was about my price range too.  I got my blue '48 for under $6K.  They are out there.  Are you on facebook?  There are a lot of Willys fb groups that have good opportunities as well.  Look up a guy who goes by the handle "metal shaper".  He's in CT I believe. He does a lot of Willys work and has many connections. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 11:44pm
Thanks so much I will check out the guy in CT. 
I joined some fb clubs today.
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:01am
I also have found this one in Vermont. 
I really like this one. Let me know what you guys think. 
Thanks for any help. 
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:02am
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:04am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:13am
Sweet looking 3A. It has an odd rear bumper and no spare tire or mount. Any photos of the motor or undersides? 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:48am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Sweet looking 3A.

I wouldn't say so. Looks like a CJ2-A frame, grille, and body with an M38 windshield. Rear fender tops are covered over, and again, all of the body seams are bondo'd over. Nice fresh paint on the body but the frame and suspension have not been cleaned or painted. I would approach this one with a ten-foot pole.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:23pm
Again, how does it DRIVE! Are the tranny and t/c shot? Does the clutch slip? How much does it leak (and from where). THESE are the issues you need to address. It's the difference between a happy driver and a headache.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Gross3049 Gross3049 wrote:

.... but as I know you get what you pay for.....

Don't assume anything when buying.
The price you pay doesn't have much to do with it.
High price can still mean higher expenses....
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:11pm
dont know if your on Facebook or not, but with CL now charging to place a vehicle ad, im seeing much more decent stuff in FB marketplace.   

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

dont know if your on Facebook or not, but with CL now charging to place a vehicle ad, im seeing much more decent stuff in FB marketplace.   

And I read somewhere (ewillys?) there are older vehicles hitting CL under "antiques" to avoid the listing fee
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Sweet looking 3A.

I wouldn't say so. Looks like a CJ2-A frame, grille, and body with an M38 windshield. Rear fender tops are covered over, and again, all of the body seams are bondo'd over. Nice fresh paint on the body but the frame and suspension have not been cleaned or painted. I would approach this one with a ten-foot pole.  BW

I'm with Bruce on this yellow Willys.  The mix and match of Willys sheet metal isn't really a concern, unless you want the replace the shield with the version that is supposed to be on a 2A (kind of pricey).  I believe the grille is also M38.

I'm also not concerned about the sheet metal replacement that has happened here.  Many of us have had to replace rotten sheet metal.

My concern would be how shiny it is up top...and how dirty it is on the underside.  It has the appearance of..."Slap some paint and bondo on that piece of crap, then dump it on the next dumb ass!"   A dirty underside is not necessarily a negative. There are a lot of dirty undersides out there that are mechanically sound.   It's just the contrast between the top and bottom on this one that sends up the red flag. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 8:48pm
Get it up on a lift or crawl under it on your back.  Either way take a good light with you and really look it over.  Something I have failed to do in the past.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 9:26pm
Tailgate and hinges have been messed with also.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 11:56pm
Anyone else notice the missing stake pockets both inside and out?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 3:07am
The yellow one's grill and windshield might be M-38 or might be repro.  The top bow pockets disappeared when the extra sheet metal covered the wheelhouses.  The tailgate hinges probably disappeared at the same time.  It's shaky.  Is that one advertised as "restored" too?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 1:00pm
Gross3049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gross3049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 1:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>