Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it Possible to Access the Master Cylinder Rod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it Possible to Access the Master Cylinder Rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seakaye12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it Possible to Access the Master Cylinder Rod
    Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:26pm
Hello All....

I have noticed that all the "help videos" on youtube etc show service procedures with the body removed.

I have to replace the Master Cylinder on a CJ2a and would GREATLY appreciate tips and techniques for doing so with the body in place.

In particular....how the heck can I access the cotter pin that holds the push rod. 

Thanks everyone;  I really appreciate people taking the time to help.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:43pm
I replaced mine that way last fall... I recall it was pesky, and that I had to hold my tongue just right several times, but it's doable.  There are a couple "can see it, or touch it, but cannot see it AND touch its" involved.

My apologies, but I was more focused on getting it done rather than creating a guide... 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 4:59pm
Remove the left side fender and drop the exhaust pipe out of the way for better access.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Remove the left side fender and drop the exhaust pipe out of the way for better access.

x2. May seem like more work but it will help with throwing tools or cursing   

Would also be a good time to adjust valves with everything out of the way...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 6:57pm
I was able to remove and replace the MC from below on my '48. It takes some wiggling, but it wasn't too hard.

A previous owner gave mine additional access above the round floorboard cover.  The section between the steering column and the round cover is now removed with the cover.  But I don't think this made much of a difference removing the MC.  That was all done from below.  But it does make it easier to add fluid.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 9:51pm
Can be done.  Fiddled with mine a bunch with the body on.  Not all that hard depending on where your exhaust pipe runs.
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:09pm
The hardest part for me was that darn mc heat shield. I fought and fought, fiddled, shoved, threw it across the garage and walked away. Came back a few hours later, climbed under the jeep, and it slipped right into place.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

... Came back a few hours later, climbed under the jeep, and it slipped right into place.

LOL You have to hold your tongue just right Tongue
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:26pm
Mine has a Bubba exhaust that made it impossible to put a heat shield on. So I wrapped the pipe in exhaust heat wrap to keep the heat away from the MC. It works great and is much easier to install.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Seakaye12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seakaye12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:33pm
I think that at the least I will have to drop the exhaust pipe.  It is one of the largest obstacles to be sure.

I already have the MC out but what has been stumping me is the removal of the pushrod.  It is rusted up and not allowing any adjustment....so I need to deal with that.

All the vendors who want to sell us parts.....why can't at least one of them do videos in real life conditions....with the body in place.  For everyone who does a frame-off restoration there must be thousands of us who just need to replace a simple part here and there.

One of you vendors do appropriate videos'  PLEASE??
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:22pm
Well that's a horse of a different color, lol... my, how things have changed LOL

( I feel so old...)

Post Reply Post Reply