Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Filler Tube Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47mountain cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Filler Tube Questions
    Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:42pm
As I continue to sort out my '47 I have a couple of questions for the gallery:

I removed the oil filler tube to paint it and install the bracket that secures it to the oil canister bracket. This needed to be done to get it turned the right direction as the vent tube did not face the crossover tube connection. The tube was well seated in the block with a hard grey sealant. After i reinstalled it using Permatex #2 it is not seated as securely and will turn as I remove the dipstick. It now weeps a small amount of oil when it did not in the past. I have read that it should be flared before putting it back in the block. What tool or techniques should be used to flare it. Also is there a better sealant ?

Also I would like to know for sure that my dipstick and tube are the correct one for the L-134. I have no reason to believe that they are not correct but the oil seems to read high on the dipstick when filled to listed capacity. Is there a known length for the tube and dipstick ?

Thanks,

Matt
1947 CJ2A
2012 JK
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:28am
   I just pulled one, from what I believe, an original 47. The tube measures 16 inches at its longest points and the dip stick measures 25 5/8 from the top of the cap to the end and 25 1/4 from the bottom of the cap to the end.

I flared mine when I installed it with a slightly oversized socket inserted in the end of the tube.   No sealant was used and no leaks.

Hope this helps

Craig
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 11:22am
I found a discussion on the Page from Sept 4, 2012. Has a chart showing correct dipstick for various vehicles. Hope this helps.
I couldn't figure out how to send it or a link or whatever.
Rick Estes
47mountain cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47mountain cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 1:51pm
Thanks guys, I'll pull the tube again this weekend and give the socket a try. Thanks for the help on lengths, it appears as though my dipstick at least is correct, I can measure the tube once I get it back out.

Matt
1947 CJ2A
2012 JK
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 1:58pm
If I am not mistaken, I believe Joe DeYoung sells a tool to resize the tube base to correct this situation.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:00pm
Your tube needs to be flared a bit in order to get a tight fit. I had the same issue and I used a tool made by Joe DeYoung here on the forum...yes he sells them and other handy tools for our Willy’s restorations. If you can’t do it on your own I’d be happy to loan you my tool. Just send it back.😃
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:37am
If your dipstick is under suspicion, you can check it next time you do an oil change.  When you put in the proper amount of new oil, just check the level and see how close your "full" mark is to what you've got.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 4:52am
Instead of trying to find a socket that works to flare out your dip stick tube, you could likely rent a tailpipe expander from your local auto parts store to expand the tube out slightly. 
Skeeter51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 1:04pm
I have a couple questions...Is there a fear of painting the oil filler tube? Possibly getting dried paint into the oil system. Would it be better to powder coat the filler tube entirely? If paint works, What kind is best? 

Thank you
1947 Willys Jeep CJ2a #80354
The Duke
New Owner
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 5:38pm
I don’t see any way how paint from the outside of the tube would wind up inside. I certainly wouldn’t and don’t paint the inside. I’m not a fan of powder coating, I wouldn’t do that either. Any good rattle-can paint in the color of your choice should be fine. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Skeeter51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 8:54pm
The tube does get pushed into the block. Maybe I will leave that portion bare metal. Thank you for your reply.
1947 Willys Jeep CJ2a #80354
The Duke
New Owner
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 9:03pm
Huh. I never thought about that route. I figure any paint that gets scraped off at installation would be left outside, and any paint not scraped off will stay where it was put. Worth some thought, though. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply