Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 CJ2A #11662

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 CJ2A #11662
    Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:13am
Well, the day finally arrived when I was able to get out to West Texas and retrieve #11662. I'm still on the road to Colorado with it, but since I'm just hanging out tonight at the Bonanza motel in scenic Vega, Texas, I figured I'd post some shots.

The seller gave a very accurate description of the vehicle. It's definitely going to need a lot of work, but compared to most vehicles where I'm from back East, this one is an excellent starting point. Typical rust on the hat channels, and some dents that will take time to work out, but overall the body is in really nice shape. Likewise, the frame has some issues, but they are minor compared to what I've dealt with before.

Once I get to Colorado and have access to tools, I'll clean this up a bit further and do an assessment of what's missing. My goal on this trip is to clean all the dirt out of it, and assemble all the loose parts onto it so that they don't get lost while it's being stored. I'm hoping either later this year or early next to bring it back east.

The only major concern I have at the moment is what I'm pretty sure is a crack in the block under the distributor. I hold a slim hope that it's a casting defect, but from past experiences with GPWs, I suspect this block is going to be headed to the shop for some stitching.

More to follow as I inspect it in the coming days.

Loaded for the road

Parts that I didn't want flying off in the wind on the highway

The driver's side is almost flawless in terms of rust and dents

The passenger side has some significant dents, but rust is minimal

Hat channels: Thank goodness they thought to put moisture-absorbing wood inside them.

Under the rear floor

Potential crack in the block

Body gusset and tailgate numbers match

Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:37am
Nice body! Tool indents, column shift originally? Great start I'll be watching...
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 2:48am
Column shift for sure. I have a replacement lined up. This week when I'm looking it over, I'm going to see if I can degrease the casting numbers on the transmission case. I'm 99 percent sure it's a replacement, but there's a slim chance that someone put a top shifter on the original transmission.

John
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:26am
Looks like a great platform......... Jason and I are happy you found your "45". 
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 12:41pm
Thanks a bunch! I'm happy to be back in the hobby again. Of course, I still have a way to go before this makes it back East, but while I'm working on making that happen, I hope to start gathering the missing parts to make it whole. 

John
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 2:34am
Looking good! Welcome to the "45 Club"!!Clap
Jerry

1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 11:58am
Boy am I jealous, lol... Congrats! Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 3:01pm
thats a nice start,  a tub like that up here in NE would be super find in its self
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 5:36pm
Thanks. Having grown up in New England, I've restored vehicles from that area and know what you mean. I got spoiled when I moved to SoCal and worked on vehicles that were rust-free. After those experiences, I figured it was worth the extra expense to find something from a dry climate and haul it back East. Also, I really wanted to get a VEC, and this was one of the few I found at a decent price in good condition.

I hope to do a little power washing today to find some data numbers, and also see if I can detect the original color. I suspect this was green to start with.

John
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Jerry45 Jerry45 wrote:

Looking good! Welcome to the "45 Club"!!Clap
Jerry

I WANT IN!!! LOLLOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 2:28am
More progress today on assembling and assessing. I power washed the jeep yesterday in hopes of being able to get some data from the axles and transmission, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until I tear the vehicle down to get a reading on those items. 

I also flushed out all the dirt and got a true look at the rust situation. Not perfect by any means, but still a solid base to work with. 

I also stuck all the loose parts on the Jeep so that it can be stored as a unit until I bring it back East. 

I'm still putting together the list of items I'm missing and will begin researching things like the correct voltage regulator, distributor, generator, etc. 

Here are some shots from today:

Transmission shows light corrosion on the gears. We'll see if they clean up or not. One thing I'm curious about is what color this vehicle was originally. I've looked at all the places where the original paint would be and it's a very faded green as you see in this image. It doesn't really look like Pasture Green, but I'm pretty sure that's what this vehicle was originally.

Engine codes:

I'm assuming this is a reproduction tank. It's got rust through:

Engine parts stuck on. I'm missing the oil filter assembly and the generator and distributor are not correct. I have an NOS generator and also a used one from early '45. I need to research whether those can be used on this jeep.

Floors are generally solid, though they will require some work.

Rear and front seat pans are a mess because the cushions held moisture, even in dry West Texas. I'll be looking into reproductions to repair them.

Interesting rear-view mirror. Not certain if it's original or not.

Tucked away in temporary storage:

Along with its sibling GPW 240019 (December, 1944)
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 3:28am
  Nice Jeep, glad to hear you are looking to keep it original.  The rear view mirror looks like a Ford mirror and bracket from the 40s with the bracket being modified to fit your Jeep.  The mirrors used on the Willys were more rectangular in shape and 2 1/2 x 6" in size where the Ford's is 2 1/2 x 6 1/2".

If you cant find an original mirror bracket and will settle for a repro PM me.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 2:53pm
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your note. I will definitely keep that in mind. 

Sincerely,

John
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 12:23am
Well, even though the Jeep is still out West and I don't have a shop, the weather is starting to turn warm enough so that I can at least begin working outside on some of the parts I bought over the winter. Among them are some rims, two of which I started cleaning up today with a wire wheel. Once I have them fairly decent, I'll go over them with my HF sandblaster and give them a coat of primer.

Before:

After:
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2022 at 12:20pm
Well, this was a big step forward. After a two-year delay caused by the pandemic, I finally was able to bring 11662 back from Colorado to Mass. Of course, now it's just going to sit in storage here until I get a garage set up, but at least it's nearby. (And irony of the trip, I got a mild case of COVID upon my return.)

Packing up in Cotopaxi

Offloading in Massachusetts

Safely tucked away

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2022 at 8:09pm
holey moley, i used to have one of those chairs. the one up in front. funny.

i still have a swivel version. 

Edited by bight - 23 Sep. 2022 at 8:11pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2022 at 8:51pm
Pretty funny.
 Post Reply Post Reply