Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ????
    Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:48am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 8:31am
Classic example of "so focused on if he could, never stopped to think about if he should" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:16pm
 A fine example of a "NON SYNCHRONOUS SYSTEM" .

Edited by oldtime - 13 June 2019 at 1:13am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 4:35pm
Hmmmm.....this IS the Modifications from Original section...'different strokes for different folks'.

He was at the Willys Picnic wasn't he?

I wonder how many people walked up to him and told him what a wasted effort he had?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 5:20pm
I saw both at the Picnic, and appreciated both for what they were.  You don't have to agree with the swap(s) to admire what went into actually pulling it off.

In a curiosity sort of way, I would have been equally impressed with these swaps into a VW Passat... it's cool, but it's not Willys or Jeep ... this goes beyond the "usual" Pinto/studawillys/kubota/tdi deisel swaps, IMO  

Edited by mbullism - 12 June 2019 at 5:25pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

You don't have to agree with the swap(s) to admire what went into actually pulling it off.

Exactly.....

You wouldn't believe the times I've overheard....."yeah, I like the idea but I wouldn't have used a flathead".

To each, his own I guess.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 7:27pm
Saw them as well. Interesting, not for me but I think the day may come ( likely not in our time) that other propulsion means will be a necessity to continue enjoying vintage Jeeps. Someone has to push the boundaries and experiment. Kudos for trying something different and rolling your own.
Home r&dThumbs Up
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 5:54pm
   Ha Ken, sounds like me.   "non-synchronous"

Ok, I've been driving turbo-boosted vehicles now for well over 18-years.
This is the First time I have ever seen a "Grease-lubricated" turbo.   Most turbo's today are lubed by an oil line coming from the engine oiling system, and then returns the oil back into the oil pan.

But, the supercharger on the Cooper mini "S" bearings are lubed by oil resivoirs at each beaing, similar to a transmission or differential.

What we do for Entertainment. :)

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 6:11pm
Well the guy says Pre Turbo he got it up to 40mph. So for all the guys here who say their jeeps won't go over 40-45 mph he's right there with you.

He's built a Yard toy. It would be almost worthless off road due to the centrifugal clutch. Anyone who had a mini bike as a kid with that type of clutch will know what I am talking about. As soon as you hit any kind of hill that you couldn't get over with momentum the clutch will slip.  My Lil' Indian mini bike with a 3HP Brigs would blow away a Honda Mini Trail 50 and almost keep up with a Mini trail 70 on flat ground. And as soon as we got to any kind of real hill their real clutches left me trying to push my Lil Indian up the hill with my feet while the clutch slipped.

Mini Trail 50 top speed was 28 mph the 70 hit 45mph My Lil' Indian would do just over 40mph
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

He's built a Yard toy. It would be almost worthless off road due to the centrifugal clutch.

Probably lots of Polaris owners would disagree with ya Mark....I know of alot of 'useful' side by sides being sold these days...centrifugal clutch equipped.

Yeah believe it or not technology has advanced a little since your Lil Indian days

And besides, not everybody wants an 80mph flatty.

Yep, 'different strokes'.........

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Craig M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 10:20pm
Just a note on the current side by sides they run a torque converter system not a centrifugal clutch I am not sure what the lawnmower jeeps are running but the Polaris UTV are a good system we use this system in small pulling tractors and we can usually outpull the tractors with small car engines because as the load increases the clutches backshift and can keep engine horsepower at its peak
Snojet slice & dice on the ice
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Craig M Craig M wrote:

Just a note on the current side by sides they run a torque converter system not a centrifugal clutch I am not sure what the lawnmower jeeps are running but the Polaris UTV are a good system we use this system in small pulling tractors and we can usually outpull the tractors with small car engines because as the load increases the clutches backshift and can keep engine horsepower at its peak

OK I stand corrected on that part.....I shouldn't have mentioned Polaris or 'side by side'.

I still know centrifugal clutches have improved past mini bike days and the clutch in question on that project does not lend itself to making a "worthless' project.....which is really what I objected to.

Thought it was kinda harsh....there are probably things on ALOT of the members projects here that others might deem as "worthless".

I'm out......thank you.

Edited by rocnroll - 16 June 2019 at 1:55am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:48pm
OK crow for breakfast everybody.

I'll start off by saying I was very upset at the disparaging remarks directed toward someone else's time and effort.

I thought it was very unfair to 'throw stones' at someone who obviously just wanted to 'think outside the box'. He may have accomplished exactly what he set out to do.....so it that respect it was a success. To call it "worthless" was totally unneccesary in my opinion.

But I'll go no farther with that....it was just to explain why I went off somewhat 'half-cocked'.

I was wrongly equating torque converters and centrifugal clutches....that, I admit was WRONG.

I stand by my statement that clutches have been improved over the years but see now the drawbacks  (or one of them) that they can't be used on a live axle situation. I don't know if that really pertains to this guys project as he is using it in a different way (to turn the trans shaft)....but that is really irrelevant to my apology.

I am sorry for the uninformed nature of my answer.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply