Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lefty or Not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lefty or Not
    Posted: 12 June 2019 at 7:59am
Hi Guys. I have a CJ2A Serial number 176745. It has some confusing characteristics and i need some help 

1. The Footman loop that goes in the rear wheel well is on the passenger side - correct for a lefty 
2. The Support Plate that holds the rear wheel is also on the passenger side - Incorrect for a lefty
3. The top bow pockets were never on the Jeep so that is of no help either 

So question I have is - is the footman loop being on the passenger side enough of a proof that the Jeep is a lefty along with the serial number? There are no holes on the driver side wheel well for a footman loop. 

Also sharing photo of the Spare Tire support plate on the passenger side. Want to find out if it looks original or an after market modification because if the Jeep is a lefty - i will need to move it to the driver side

Thanks 

The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2019 at 1:25pm
You know there are only a few tell tales for identifying a lefty without the bow pockets present. You did mention the footman loop location and the spare mount support. Honestly based only on what you have said.....your serial number is at the beginning of the range, the footman loop location is spot on and from your picture it looks like your spare support was moved to that location......I'd say you have a lefty based only on that darn footman loop.....who would do that if it wasn't a lefty? Its up to you if you want to turn it back into a lefty......it would be the only one in India.....the hard part would be fabbing up the mirrored bow pockets.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:33am
Bubba moved the spare support to the left side for his own reasons.  The extra reinforcement plate is proof.  There is supposed to be a hat channel that the support brace fits around.  You'll want that to be there if you actually carry a spare on the driver's side, as a Lefty should be.  Is that hat channel in place on the left side inside the wheelwell?  I need to go to your build thread and look.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 2:13am
Somewhere in the lefty forum post I shared a pic of the exhaust hanger on right side of a lefty like mine. Since the support wasn’t there on a lefty they added a piece of metal to hand the exhaust. Maybe you still have that hanger bracket?

Mark
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 2:56am
someone mentioned the rear view mirror arm is longer with extension adjuster of lefty’s. Mine has that also but I’m not sure if all cj2’s had that. I think they said it was to
 raise mirror to view past the spare tire.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Bubba moved the spare support to the left side for his own reasons.  The extra reinforcement plate is proof.  There is supposed to be a hat channel that the support brace fits around.  You'll want that to be there if you actually carry a spare on the driver's side, as a Lefty should be.  Is that hat channel in place on the left side inside the wheelwell?  I need to go to your build thread and look.

The hat channel was missing so we fabricated a new one. Sharing some photos 

That vertical hat channel was already there and we have decided to retain it rather than warp the metal. it was an original hat channel trans planted here

We built the horizontal hat channel for this which was removed at some time 

We were also able to fabricate the top bow pockets 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 17 June 2019 at 7:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:30am
Originally posted by MarkB MarkB wrote:

someone mentioned the rear view mirror arm is longer with extension adjuster of lefty’s. Mine has that also but I’m not sure if all cj2’s had that. I think they said it was to

Hey Mark.. Thanks for responding. I had already bookmarked your page while trying to solve my lefty conundrum. 

But no - i did not have that exhaust bracket. Will have to fabricate it as well. 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 1:20pm
This is a photo from 1948 (look at the license plate).  Note the short rear view mirror arm.  My Lefty has this short arm and all you can see is the spare tire.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 1:24pm
Another 1948 Lefty with the short rear view mirror arm.
Stev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by MarkB MarkB wrote:

Hey Mark - The mirror arm on my 2A 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 11:59pm
The mirror arm on my Lefty.  It has a short arm like the 1948 black and white photos above of the Leftys.  

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 4:28pm
Arsene,

Looking through your posts.  Your are to be commended on the remarkable work you are doing.  I think your 1948 is a Lefty.  The original rear fender braces look correct for a Lefty.  Also the footman loop holes on the underside of the passenger side wheel arch are correct for a Lefty.  I wonder if you did some sanding that you might just find evidence of the spot weld blemishes from the Lefty bow pockets that someone removed along the way.  The tail gate not having any numbers - I think is correct for a Lefty (no data yet on this) but my 1948 Lefty does not have any numbers on the tail gate.

Keep up the great work.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 18 June 2019 at 4:30pm
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 6:55pm
My '48 Lefty does have numbers on the tailgate, FWIW.  Serial # is 177120; early-ish in the Lefty world, I think.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 19 June 2019 at 6:59pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply