Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A “get the Jeep running better “ saga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A “get the Jeep running better “ saga
    Posted: 23 June 2019 at 9:12pm

So back in March I picked up a rebuilt Carter carb and installed it replacing a Solex. This was to cure some issues with hard starting, flat spots and just not running quite right. But it was running. While I was at it I decided (because I was having charging issues) I would change out the alternator for a new one wire. And since I was gonna be under the dash with the alternator wiring and ammeter i’d go ahead and rewire the ignition circuit. In doing this I did away with the resistor by installing a new “internally resisted coil.

After doing all this I ran through and tuned it all up. Had it sitting in the driveway idling better than it ever had. Then I put the intake together. With the carburetor pulling air through the oil bath filter, idle was pulled down around 50 rpm. Thinking the oil bath was restricting air to the carburetor I replaced it with a K&N. 

After. having  done all this the end result was the motor would idle in the driveway fine. Once out on the road though, after a time it started sputtering and backfiring.

Then I realize I don’t have a filter in the fuel line. Sure there’s the upside down sediment bowl on the fuel pump. But that’s not really a filter is it. So thinking this was the problem.  I pulled the jets I could get to easy. Cleaned them and put a filter in line. Then it still ran fine in the driveway but still can’t make it to the mailbox.

Now I’m thinking when scout pilot sent me the Video he mentioned the fuel pressure. There was a regulator in line with the Solex carb. So I put it back on. No change.

Now I’m thinking maybe this isn’t a carburetor problem at all. Maybe the coil the parts guy sold me needs a resistor. So I put that back on. This got me past the mail box about half a mile. Where the motor finally quit and wouldn’t start.

After I got it towed home. It started right up. Now I’m thinking this is the typical condenser issue one hears about.  Not wanting to have this become a reoccurring problem I looked at options. I decided to go ahead and put a Pertronix in the old distributor. I had already got all the parts from Willy’s distributors and rebuilt it. So I called Pertronix and got the part numbers and ordered one up.

Once it was installed the motor ran fantastic. Took it out for a drive. Made it two miles from the house and it died. Made my phone call.  Help was on the way.  After waiting about ten minutes I forgot that it wouldn’t start and tried it. It fired right up. Just then my tow showed up so I just had them follow me home. As long as I kept the RPM’s down thins were going along fine. If I got over that it would start missing and backfiring.

Now I’m thinking the problem is in the high speed circuit of the carburetor. So this time I pull it off, disassemble it completely, and clean everything out. There was a lot of stuff in it that should not have been there. I assume from the time spent without a filter. Got it all back together and did my test drive. I’m getting smarter now though. When I get to the top of the hill and it starts acting up. I turn around. I got turned around and it died. I was able to coast back down into the driveway though.

OK I must have not got something in the carburetor put back in right. I was real careful, even took pictures as I took it apart. Still it’s worse than it was before. 

Considering my options I decide to clean out the Solex and put it back on. Things are looking good. This time I decide to take it over the hill out back. Low range keep the RPM’s down. Second trip around the dirt bike track. It died. At least I could walk back to the house. I waited about an hour and went back down. It fired right up and I drive back up to the house. I changed something else and tried again. This time it died and wouldn’t start.

When I get it back up to the house I’m going my tune up routine (I’m getting good at this)and I can’t get the timing light to go off on the number one wire. I try it on the coil wire and get an intermittent flash. The Pertronix instructions said something about not using certain types of wires.

Makes sense,  wires heat up,  resistance goes up, plugs don’t fire and it dies. 

Now I order up a set of Pertronix wires. They come in and I find I don’t have a plug wire crimper anymore. There are a couple of wiring tools in the box with crimpers on them. Neither of them doo a good job of it and I want this done right. So I order a new crimper. Some where along the way I lose one of the terminals. So I have to find a replacement. Turns out NAPA has them. I get  The wires all crimped up nice. And installed. Then I remember. Way back when I picked up the new condenser I also picked up a set of plugs. I decide that I might as well put them in to. So, I get em all gapped up and go to installing them.  I pulled out the first old plug. I have removed a lot of spark plugs. Never have I seen a plug as black and dirty as these.

In the end Jeep is running great. I put a little video of the last test run on the June “what did you do to your Jeep today topic” This is about the fifth trip around.

My fingers at crossed. But I may have figured it out. 

If so I’m probably about $400 or more and a lot of time into a set of spark plugs.  Next time I’m gonna start with the simple solution. 

Edited by Mike F - 23 June 2019 at 9:23pm
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 9:25pm
Man I can see why you called it a saga, you could write a tv drama about this.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 12:04am
   Oh Good Heavens !!

Sounds like a typical afternoon in my camp too. We can spend endless hours trying to find the "culprit" of the problem.

I am wondering if maybe just the plugs were sooted too much to fire properly.

Do you have a "final-conclusion" of what was the Culprit ?

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 12:30am
Plugs or wires. Could put the old wires back on. Then I could say for sure
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 12:49am
I know how it feels. You've got patience.(And hopefully a running Jeep by now)
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 1:37am
I am a little concerned. In that, I don’t understand how or why a new carburetor, alternator, and coil would foul the plugs to where it wouldn’t run. But it looks like that’s what went on. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 1:55am
Lets see, $400.00+ and the issue was solved either with $12.00 worth of spark plugs, or maybe with $25.00 worth of spark plug wires. We do not know which it was, or really, even if the issue is gone. Hmmm...

This is why I always recommend that one diagnoses the problem instead of throwing parts at it. If you must throw parts at it, do them one at a time. That way you know which one fixed the issue.

I know that not many folks will learn that lesson from this. Yet, I still hold out hope that someone does.

Oh well, like I always say, it is your time & $$.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:43am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Lets see, $400.00+ and the issue was solved either with $12.00 worth of spark plugs, or maybe with $25.00 worth of spark plug wires. We do not know which it was, or really, even if the issue is gone. Hmmm...

This is why I always recommend that one diagnoses the problem instead of throwing parts at it. If you must throw parts at it, do them one at a time. That way you know which one fixed the issue.

I know that not many folks will learn that lesson from this. Yet, I still hold out hope that someone does.

Oh well, like I always say, it is your time & $$.

All good advice folks
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 5:07am
UPDATE 
I did spend a half hour or more the old Jeep around. Started cold in a couple revolutions. Warmed it up a minute then went back behind the house for a dozen or more trips around the grandkids motorcycle track. Then hit the highway for about a ten mile round trip. Went from first gear low range to pushing 60 in overdrive. Never missed a beat. Shut it down in the driveway. Let it sit a minute and hit the starter. She fired right up. It’s amazing what a $12.00 set of spark plugs and $388.00 in education costs will do. 
 Post Reply Post Reply