Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 5:37am
It was HOT then.  I didn't leave the house.  Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

So, when were you here in the Springs?  

Last weekend in August. I couple of us got together at Homer's Garage and rode up through Garden of the Gods and a few other areas.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 6:34am
So, when were you here in the Springs?  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 4:33pm
Nice work.

Looks great!
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 4:32pm
Even though the F134 is a little worn out, it was still able to hit 60 mph.

Since the carb seems to be running a little rich with the current #59 jet, I ordered a pile to play around and see if I can lean it out a bit.

One of the last projects I have to get done this weekend is fix the steering. Seems I bent my stock sized cross over steering I made for last year. So I'm using a Wagon, two hole passenger knuckle, 1 ton Tie rod ends, and 1.25" tubing to make the new setup. I'll also flip the tie rods to above the knuckle vs below.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 4:20pm
I've been working on getting things buttoned up and ready for the 2020 FCT.

Got my 9.25" flywheel refinished.

Unfortunately the vendor sent me the wrong pressure plate. 

Got my rocker guards welded up.

used a Wagon linkage for my F134 conversion.

My buddy Sal paid me a visit from PA to help fix my transmission.

Got the engine buttoned up.

And stuffed in.

Good to see this thing back together.

Went down to Colorado Springs to do a shake down cruise.

Decided I needed at least some sort of air cleaner, so I modified the stock F head air horn to fit under the hood.

Seems to fit and run well.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 4:09pm
Over the weekend, I had some time to start to put my F134 back together and start testing fitting all the ancillary pieces, namely the carb, throttle linkages, and non-stock parts.

Lots of Form-a-gasket on the oil pan seal

Cleaning the old copper coat off the head with acetone.

The beloved copper head gasket

A few issues with using the Holley 1904. The first is that it hits the oil fill tube. I'll either have to shorten or length the tube, or find one of the super short styles.

The other issue was the fuel bowl screw hitting the valve cover. A little hammering got it to clear.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:05pm
Spent a little time yesterday converting my distributor over to a Pertronix ignition unit.

First was wire brushing all the crud off.

next was tearing out the old points guts.

The unit installs fairly easily. I did have to open up the hole a bit to get the grommet to fit.

Back in the block. I still have to pick up a new car and rotor and fit the new wires.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2020 at 3:12am
Tonight's project was retrofitting the intermediate shaft of my transfer case with tapered bearings vs the roller bearing/thrust washer setup that's stock. My transfer case is a hybrid of sorts. It uses a Dana 20 case, Dana 18 guts, and a Teralow gear set. It does work well, the only real problems I had with it last year was the whine of the bearings and it popping out of gear under heavy load. The Folks at Advanced adapters suggested shimming the  detent spring in the shifter to get it a more positive stop. We'll see how that works.

Advanced Adapters offers a kit to do the bearing conversion. The one downside to some is that the intermediate gear needs cut to accept the races for the bearings. 

Start to finish, it took about three hours.

Here's the kit I used. 

Getting things dialed in on the lathe.

Side one cut. 

Races pressed in.

This is much easier to install than the normal setup. No fiddling with the roller bearings to get them in place, then working the shaft in.

There's a nut on the front side that sets the pre-load. Per the instructions, you tighten the nut until all the play is removed. You want it tight enough to remove play, but not too tight to restrict movement (much like a wheel bearing).

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 9:02pm
Also working on switching to a 9.5" clutch, so I need to switch bell housing flywheels, clutch disk, pressure plate, and starter.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 8:59pm
More stuff getting done in the last few days.

Scraping lots of gaskets.

Cleaning out some sludge.

Quick break to get some new tires on the Bantam T3-C

Next thing while waiting for some gaskets and misc parts for the engine was to figure out why my T90c that I built last year was grinding when down shifting into 2nd and Figure out why my Dana 18/20 Teralow hybrid was popping out of gear.

The oil wasn't looking too good.

I quickly found that 2nd gear was chewed up.

After further dissection, I found a bunch more wrong.

The bushing spun inside second gear.

And got the gear VERY hot. 

The main shaft too

Wiped out the synchro

The dogs

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 4:45am
From UncleMoak

"When I was at the FCT last year, I decided I loved Colorado so much, that I up and quit my job and am moving there"

Colorado can cast a powerful spell.   That is exactly what happened to me, The mountains called and I went. Quit my job...... packed up my belongings and landed just a few feet from Thirsty Dirt Ranch.....

It hard to believe, but is has been 5 years and I haven't looked back.   I can do this every weekend!
49 CJ3A Project in Process
52 MC - Trail Jeep (Iron Duke, T18, Scout 300, Dana 30F Dana 44 Rear, ARBs etc.)

47 T3C

Plus a couple of "modern" CJs
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 9:38pm
  Usually, dry sooty spark plugs means too much fuel or not enough air - what we called “too fat” (as opposed to “too lean”) when I was racing. Oil usually leaves a wet oily black deposit - unless the engine is doing a really good job of burning the oil, in which case you can get a hard dry tan-to-brown deposit. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 7:42pm
Worked a bit on some light disassembly of my donor engine last night. It came out of an FC, so the oil lines are slightly different for an CJ setup. 

The plugs looked sooted, so I'm sure it's burning a little oil.

Valve train looks pretty clean.

Valve seats on the exhaust look pretty good as well.

Edited by unclemoak - 12 Aug. 2020 at 8:51pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2020 at 11:25pm
Two weeks later, I'm ready to start tearing in to this engine.

Edited by unclemoak - 06 Aug. 2020 at 8:17pm
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:05pm
Dave, the CFCT has had many a profound and indelible mark on many people over the years, but this is the first I‘ve heard of such a life change.  Colorado is certainly enticing.  God’s speed and I’ll see you at the TDR in September!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 4:24pm
That's a lonely engine bay Dave. Unhappy Hopefully everything works out and you're up and running for CFT. Let me know if you need any help loading up your truck.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 2:42pm
Well last year I made it easy on myself and gave myself the whole summer to prep for the Fall Colors Tour.  This year I really decided to give myself a challenge and give myself 5-6 weeks. 

When I was at the FCT last year, I decided I loved Colorado so much, that I up and quit my job and am moving there. I haven't been working too hard on the jeep this past year because life and my side business has kept me pretty busy, but on 7/31, I'm loading up some moving trucks and moving to Englewood. 

Here's the current state of my jeep. As usual, it doesn't run and doesn't have an engine in it. The move and the machine shop being slow has really put a damper on the Boosted Willys project, so I hope to at least have the F134 swapped in (with Holley 1904 so I don't have to cut the hood) and cruising around just in time for the tour.

Crammed in my tiny 19x19 un-powered garage. Thankfully I'm moving all my jeep stuff to a new, 2,500 sq ft shop. 

Current state of the engine bay.

Engine that's slated to drop in. I do have to do some minor tear down to check the condition of this engine, but it does appear to make decent compression. The plan is to re-seal it, adjust the valves, install the Holley 1904 carb, full Petronix igniton, and run it as is. This will be somewhat of a precursor to the Boosted Willys engine swap to make sure that I can reasonably fit the Supercharged and EFI F134 in the engine bay. 

Edited by unclemoak - 21 July 2020 at 2:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>