Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 5:17am
55 Days to go

Since my transmission rebuild kit is inbound, it was time to get cracking on getting the transmission parts that were going to be re-used cleaned up and ready to go. I'd like to get the transmission built and main shaft shimmed before I build up the transfer case to make it a bit easier to maneuver it around the bench.

I had two complete T90's on the shelf as spares. I knew the one was in good condition, though the other was unknown. The plan is to tear these two down, find the best parts between the two and build one back up into a T90c using a Novak rebuild kit, NOS input and main shaft, and an import cluster gear (couldn't find a NOS one)

These had been soaking in the solvent tank for the last few days to degrease.

Taking out the cluster, usually leaves a pile of needle bearings in the bottom. These are going in the trash since the Novak kit provides new ones. I do need to save the spacer though.

I wonder what vintage this gasket is. This is the first one I've tore down that actually still had the front gasket on it.

The reverse idler looked pitted in one, and decent in the other. The better one will get re-used.

I don't know why I haven't tried this trick earlier. Spraying down the case with oven cleaner works wonders. 

After a very light wire brushing the case looked spotless.

I did drop off my windshield glass at a local glass shop to have a new one made. So while that was going on, I took off the cowl gasket. I'm a bit disappointed that the new one doesn't seem to have the same contour to it. I'm hoping it fits without issue since the old one was pretty rough. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 5:23am
Good luck on the cowl gasket.  I've seen and read about more that didn't fit right than those that did.  I have one that fits the curves and everything great but only one screw hole lines up.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 11:42pm
54 Days to go

Picked up some oil and paint for the transmission and transfer case while I was running errands this morning.

Then got to work painting this morning. Shot the transmission case and tranfser case with self-etch primer, then some dark grey.

One this about the Super 18 and using the Dana 20 case with the Dana 18 guts is the location of the fill plug. Since the speedometer housing and parking brake use the offset output, you need to use a flush plug for the fill and relocate the fill to the normal Dana 18 location. I picked up a 1/2" NPT plug from the hardware store. It stuck out a little bit which isn't a huge deal, so I cut the threads sightly deeper so it would sit more flush with the case.

Looks pretty good in dark grey.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 1:41am
53 Days to go

I had some time in between some gunsmithing work to get the cylinders honed and new valve guide installed. I was going to try to cut the valve seats, but it turns out I'm going have to ream the valve guides and will need a different size pilot for the Neway cutter since the tapered 0.375" won't go far down enough to allow the cutter to actually cut anything.

Here's what the cylinders looked like prior. I'll have to get a shot of the after. It wasn't too bad of a job. Just takes some patience and a second set of hands. 

The valve guides weren't too hard to install either. Just some gentle hits and measure to make sure they are getting seated to the right depth. I did order some reamers from McMaster and an adjustable pilot from Cylinder Head Supply. Hopefully those are here promptly this week, so I can get the last of the minor machining work done, clean the block thoroughly, and get it back together. 

Edited by unclemoak - 22 July 2019 at 1:45am
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 3:59am
51 days to go

Lots of airplane activity in Oshkosh, WI this week. Something like 700,000 people descend on my town for one of the largest airshows/fly-ins in the world.

The FCT decals arrived and look great!!!

In jeep news, my reamers for the valve guides came in from McMaster. I turned a few by hand it and opened up the slight mushrooming at the tops of the guides from tapping them in. 

I did manage to find an M38 tailgate locally to help get my spare mounted. I have had it just laying in the back of the tub, but figured it's going to have other stuff in it, so I mounted it to the tailgate.

My dad is in town for the week to see the air show, so I had him help me getting the holes laid out while I worked on a few other things.

It's all done and ready to mount. I did test fit it and there are some alignment issues with the hinges, but I'll get that sorted out another day.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 2:55am
46 Days to go

It was a busy end of the week and weekend. I spent a good bit of time cutting the valve seats and buttoning the engine back up. The Exhaust seats on #2 and #3 were the worst and required quite a bit of cutting to get the pits out.

The cutters from Neway work great! I would recommend getting the adjustable pilot vs the tapered pilot. It seems to work much better and you don't have to buy 3-4 sizes.

These two were the worst.

Chewing away at all the material.

Them all cleaned up at 45*

I think went back and used dykem to see where the seat was at width and placement wise.

A very light pass with the cutter showed the width was near perfect. They just needed a final lapping and calling it good.

It's been a bit humid out to work a full day in the garage, so I got to work on the T90C transmission since my rebuild kit from Novak finally arrived. The plan was to use the rebuild kit, a NOS main shaft and input, and Import cluster to put this all together. I could have gotten away without the main shaft, but I figured why not while I'm in there.

All the cosmoline cleaned off the NOS parts.

All together with the T86 bearing retainer in the back to mate up with the Dana 20 case.

I also spent a good bit of time this weekend putting the short block back together. I mistakenly didn't put the rods in correctly the first time, so they came back out and in again. Otherwise it went pretty smoothly. Everything seems to rotate freely and I'm excited to see how it does it a light freshening up.

I put the gasket in the windshield frame. I didn't realize that it was going to be so long. So a little trimming will be in order to get it down to the right size.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 3:26pm
Apparently a universal WS seal thats also intended to fit the larger CJ-5 frames.
Your really going at it !
That's a whole lot of progress for one weekend.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 4:07pm
Cram all you can of that seal into the corners before you cut it off, and then cut it about an inch long. Then butt the ends together and work the extra in, then install the glass. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Apparently a universal WS seal thats also intended to fit the larger CJ-5 frames.
Your really going at it !
That's a whole lot of progress for one weekend.

Yessir, have to make some progress and get some miles on this. Hoping to get the major stuff done in the next two weeks. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Cram all you can of that seal into the corners before you cut it off, and then cut it about an inch long. Then butt the ends together and work the extra in, then install the glass. BW

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give that a try. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 5:06am
42 Days to go!

Yikes, this event is sneaking up fast. 

Got a little work done this evening on my transfer case. If you remember back to a previous post, I needed to add a new fill plug to the side of the Dana 20 case, similar to that on a D18. Well the case is too big to fit in my milling machine to do it myself, so I dropped it off at a friend's shop and he was able to drill and tap it for me.

I also replaced the bushing for the output shaft.

And cleaning up the surface that the throw out bearing rides on.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 6:35am
40 days to go

Another busy day today. Working on the transmission, transfer case, and windshield. 

For the windshield, I got the glass and gasket in, just have to finish up getting the locking strip in to finish it off. 

One thing I didn’t mention on the transmission build was the oil collector. When you switch to a T90 cluster gear it has a larger OD than a standard cluster gear. Because of this, you have to omit the oil collector and seal the holes in the front of the case. To do this, I used the normal screws and sealing washers along with some lock nuts on the inside of the case. 

Next was the Super 18 transfer case build. It was pretty straight forward, aside from installing one of the tapered bearings backward. Needless to say, the case went together and back apart a few times before everything was final. Really the only two modifications to stock parts is the drain plug I mentioned earlier and the need to shorten the front output shift rod so it clears the intermediate gear. 

I will say that I thought the shaft was going to cut fairly easily, but I was wrong. Even with carbide tooling, the shaft is fairly hard and did put up a bit of a fight. I ended up trimming 0.2” off the end to give it enough clearance. Again it went together and came apart a few times to check everything for proper fit. 

The Teralow gear set uses a special bowl gear for the overdrive, so I needed to swap over the planetary from the old gear to the new gear. 

Aside from bolting on the oil pan and shifters, the transfer case is ready to bolt on to the transmission. 

I’ll hopefully spend a little time in the garage tomorrow to get the old transmission and transfer case pulled out and everything prepped to put the new one in. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 2:37am
39 Days to go!

As some know, I have a business I manage part time. I have a small gunsmithing business and it's steady enough that I've been thinking about hiring some part time help. Well as luck would have it, I got a good referral from a friend and my shop assistant (who's also a full time A&P mechanic) started this evening. His first job was to put the jeep back together haha I figured if he can work on WWII era aircraft, he can work on a post-war jeep.

The first order of business was to button up windshield project. After getting the glass in the gasket, I was having a hell of a time getting the locking strip in. I just said to hell with it, there has to be a tool to make this easier. $13 on Amazon, and it was at my door step within  24hrs. 

This made the job so much easier. I had the lock strip back in in less than 5 minutes.

This is likely the first and last time the windshield will be this clean.

My assistant gave me a hand, and we got it remounted to the jeep.

While I was working on projects in shop, he got busy clocking the oil pump and distributor, followed by remounting the fuel pump. 

I also managed to get the parking brake back together over the weekend after getting the backing plate painted.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 4:12am
Yup. I bought that glass tool at summit racing a few weeks ago.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 2:23pm
36 days to go

More bad news from the machine shop. The second block that I dropped off that was already machined did not have the original main caps. The intention was to shave the tops of the blocks and line bore them to bring them back into alignment. Turns out Pakes thought they were too far off to correct. So last night, I spent about 2 hrs looking through my buddies 5,000 sq ft shop FILLED with Jeep parts for the caps to no avail.

The new plan is to run the MB engine, since the gear drive one likely isn’t going to get done before the FTC. I have a few leads on other main caps so hopefully something works. Would be a shame to throw out a completely machined and sleeved block all because someone can’t figure out how to line bore it. 

The good news is I dropped off the 97 tooth fly wheel that goes with the MB engine to get resurfaced. Since I have an odd lot of parts to get this heap functional, I will have to wire up a solenoid to run the MB starter, since the Henry J key start setup I currently use only works with my original 124 tooth flywheel. 

A couple hours later it was done and looking pretty good. 

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 1:37am
35 days to go!

More engine assembly this evening. Water pump and oil lines are back on. Chased all the head and manifold threads. Installed all the studs with sealer. 

Now to let it sit overnight to finish bolting on all the extra bits. 
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 3:22am
Green, I like it. Is it gonna run?  I bet it does.  
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Green, I like it. Is it gonna run?  I bet it does.  

It was green when I dug it out of some farmers barn. Surprisingly, there’s still quite a bit of OD green under the bright green. 

Fingers are crossed it runs without issue. We’re cutting it pretty close as this point for it not to. Should know by the weekend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>