Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 3:57am
I hate to second guess your machinist, but he does know that all 3 main saddles are different diameters , right? You spread the saddles (being careful not to snap them at the dowel hole), bolt them in, and line bore?
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I hate to second guess your machinist, but he does know that all 3 main saddles are different diameters , right? You spread the saddles (being careful not to snap them at the dowel hole), bolt them in, and line bore?

That was my thought as well. But, of the two sets of caps that were at the shop, they couldn’t get them to work. 

Joe DeYoung happened to be going to the same shop yesterday and inquired further about what was going on. Turns out the problem was that there was too much lateral play in the caps side to side, which was causing the issue. 

I have access to a couple more sets of caps to look at to find some that hopefully will work. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 3:40am
34 days to go!

Another busy day. It was nice outside, so I rolled the jeep out of the cramped garage to work in the driveway. 

Got the current transmission and transfer case yanked out.

Also got some new u-joints installed. I ended up pressed the one cap in wrong and damaging a few of the needle bearings, so I'll have to pick up another one to get that one replaced.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2019 at 4:51am
33 days to go!

Thankfully I only work half days on Friday. Made some good progress on buttoning up the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. 

I did get the head and intake on the engine, but noticed that two studs, likely the two that were problematic before, seemed to have stripped. I’ll have to pull the manifolds and see whats going on, but I’m guessing I’m going to have to put some timeserts in the block. Aside from that, the head, thermostat housing, and oil canister are back on the engine. 

The transmission, transfer case, and overdrive went to get without issue. The shifter seems pretty stiff to go into 2nd and 3rd, so I’m hoping that breaks in a bit with some miles. 

It was surprisingly pretty easy to lift the whole assembly up into place, then secure the crossmember bolts. 

One small tweak I had to make to the clutch linkage, was to shorten the clutch bellcrank. It seems since the casting on the D20 case is slightly thicker where the pivot stud is, there’s not enough room to fit the bellcrank between the case and the frame. Some comparison showed that about 3/8” needed trimmed off to work. I cut 0.25” off the longer t-case side and 0.125” off the shorter, frame side. It ended up working perfectly and rotated without binding as intended. 

Finished out the evening with mounting the M38 tailgate on the Jeep. There was some small adjustment needed to the hinges to get it to slide on, but it mounts up fine and thankfully there’s just enough room for my larger 6.50x16 tire to clear the Jerry can and taillight. 

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 4:52am
33 days to go!

Got working on the rear axle today. Managed to get the whole axle torn down, the locker installed, new axle bearings, and new seals and shims.

Got the wheels and tires off. 

Got the lovely smelling gear oil drained.

Nothing abnormal taking it apart. 

Pulled the axles to get the carrier out.

When installing the Lockright, you have to be mindful of the distance between the halves or else is won't ratchet correctly. I did have to steal a shim out of my spare carrier to get the spacing within tolerance.

I also had to bring the cross pin to length. It was too long out of the box and wouldn't fit through the ring gear. I've read that this is a common problem.

All assembled and ready to put the ring gear back on.

Got new bearings pressed onto the axles. I did manage to drop one of the axles on my head. I set one of the axles on top of the press and was adjusting the height of the beam on the press and landed on my head. Maybe it knocked some sense into me.

I did have some concerns when I put it all back together with a new pinion seal. I noticed that the backlash was 0.025" as measured with a dial indicator. Obviously this is way outside of the norm. Though when I got the whole axle back together it went down significantly. Sadly I managed to order the wrong diff cover gasket (I have a Dana 41 not a Dana 44) so I'll have to wait until the right gasket arrives to finish buttoning the rear axle up.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 5:42am
32 days to go

Toward the end of last week when I was buttoning up my engine assembly, I went to install the manifold and had some studs pull out of the block. This might have been my fault for not being exactly centered over the broken studs when I drilled them out. None the less, this needed repaired. 

You can see there was very little to salvage. 

Off to Amazon to order a timesert kit for 3/16-16 holes.

The first step is to drill the hole to a larger size using the supplied bit. I put some grease on the threads to prevent the shavings from going into the cooling jacket. 

Next was to counter bore the top of the hole. 

Finally, just tap the hole and driver in the timesert. It was a pretty simple process and said to be significantly stronger than a helicoil. I ended up fixing three that looked pretty bad. Took all of an hour to do. 

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 1:01pm
I have used Keensert thread inserts with great success. They are a similar concept as what you used but they have locking pins that you drive down to lock them in. You'll have to look them up in your free time.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

I have used Keensert thread inserts with great success. They are a similar concept as what you used but they have locking pins that you drive down to lock them in. You'll have to look them up in your free time.

Free time, what’s that??
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 3:53am
30 Days to go!

The engine is finally back in!!!

I did a little work yesterday to finish dressing the engine, finishing the u-joints in the driveshafts, and worked on wiring the marker lights. 

Today I dropped off my 124 tooth flywheel at the machine shop because I didn't want to re-wire the 97 tooth compatible starter and solenoid. So I figured I'd like re-surface the 124 and run it, then I wouldn't have to switch anything. 

The shop let me watch them grinding the flywheel which was interesting. They chuckle at how small these guys are.

Got the new clutch and pressure plate installed.

Got the engine dropped in. I knew since it slid in so easily, that there was going to be an issues.

Sure enough, I went to swap out the temperature sending unit adapter and it snapped right off!

Thankfully a 3/8 NPT tap, then some dremeling, then the correct 1/2 NPT tap got the remains out.

Next was the task of fishing out all the filings. I fished around in there with a magnet for a couple minutes to get as much as I could. I do plan to run a junk radiator with water/vinegar in it anyway for a week or two to get the block all cleaned out. 

When together just fine. Hopefully there's no leaks.

I got everything else hooked back up. It cranks over and sputters. Doesn't run quite yet, so I'll have to get the usual things, but should have it back up and running within the next day or so.

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

30 Days to go!

Got the engine dropped in. I knew since it slid in so easily, that there was going to be an issues.

Ha, yea that’s a sure sign of a problem. You might want to check to make sure your clutch fork is still in place. AMHIK. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

30 Days to go!

Ha, yea that’s a sure sign of a problem. You might want to check to make sure your clutch fork is still in place. AMHIK. 

haha been there done that!

The fork was installed prior to even thinking about putting the transmission back in to avoid that mistake a second time. 
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 9:14pm
Any updates?? Will we be seeing you in Colorado with or without your Jeep??
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 5:28am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Any updates?? Will we be seeing you in Colorado with or without your Jeep??

I’ve been busy chipping away at projects I haven’t had time for updates. 

Let me dig up some pictures.  
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 6:00am
19 days to go!

It's been a bit nutty around here trying to get the jeep together, do some masonry work to my fireplace, and balance all the other things I manage to get myself in to.

I did manage to get the engine in and running decently (more on this later). I did have a problem with stripping on of the intake stud nuts. I initially thought that one of the studs pulled out of the block, so I took the manifold off, only to find that it was actually just one of the nuts.

Another item on the list was to wire a new headlight switch, the marker lights, and a new fog light switch.

I didn't like that the switch only allowed either the parking lights or the head lights, so I later added a jumper so the parking lights would come on with the headlights as well.

Digging through a friend's shop, I found this cool illuminated fog light switch which I thought would be a nice addition.

The fog lights get power from the low beam circuit, so they only work with the low beams. They turn off automatically when I switch to high beams.

Shown here with the high beams on.

Next was the task of tuning the engine. It ran okay at first start up, but still needed some adjustment. I got it running okay on Friday and took it out for a burger, but it started acting like it had a fuel problem and died on the way home, so I had to Uber home and go back with my truck to flattow it back to my house.

When it does run, it makes decent vacuum, temp, and oil pressure.

It's slowly starting to come together. I didn't have a chance to work on it yesterday, but on Sunday I was trying to diagnose the engine dying problem. 

I traced the ignition system, there was one loose wire at the ammeter
Changed the cap, rotor, condenser and points
Reset the timing using the static method
Spark seems to be okay when using a spark tester

For the fuel system, I blew out the fuel lines with compressed air, no change
Cleaned the carb, no change
Reset the float, accelerator pump, metering rod, and mixture screw no change

So for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out why it doesn't want to run now. Maybe a bad coil?

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 2:00am
18 Days to go!

After all that grief the jeep gave me yesterday, I had a buddy who's been into jeeps for 50+ years come over to help diagnose what was going on. 

I sure feel like an idiot, because all it took was a simple spark plug change and it was up and running. Needless to say, I ordered a pile of Champion J8C plugs to have on hand as spares.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 4:06am
Well I never thought the day would come, but the jeep is finally back on the road. I'll be driving it pretty heavily in the next few weeks until the FCT to work out any bugs. 

I took it for a little cruise this evening and it seems to be working well. I think I need to advance the timing just a hair more to squeeze a bit more power out of it, but otherwise it seems to be doing well. 

One other thing I noticed is on take off, it seems to jerk to one side. I'm guessing that I need to re-shim my lockright in the rear with new thrust washers instead of the worn 2 on one side and 1 on the other setup I rigged up. 

As an added bonus, my 1949/50 Farm plates i found on eBay came today.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 4:13am
You will find there to be some torque steer with the lunchbox lockers. You will grow use to it. I don’t even hardly notice it anymore. Did you put lockers in front and rear or just rear?  Oh, by the way, good job getting it done!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 4:16am

18 Days to go!

After all that grief the jeep gave me yesterday, I had a buddy who's been into jeeps for 50+ years come over to help diagnose what was going on. 

I sure feel like an idiot, because all it took was a simple spark plug change and it was up and running. Needless to say, I ordered a pile of Champion J8C plugs to have on hand as spares.

Well if it makes you feel better. I was in a very similar simulation situation a couple of months ago.  The cure was the same. Only it took me several weeks and more than a few hundred dollar bills to figure it out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>