Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Sad!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Sad!
    Posted: 10 July 2019 at 5:12pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 9:28pm
I did see that too, he was working under his flatty poor guy.  RIP 
I could think of worse ways to depart this earth. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 10:58pm
My wife and I were watching the news the other night when the report first aired. What a tragedy and I hope we didn't lose one of our forum members without knowing. RIP.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:14pm
I had not seen this report so thank you for posting. Very sad indeed!! 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:05am
They call it Death Valley for a reason. 
Back When I had my stock standard 1948 CJ2A I used to live half way between Ridgecrest and Pahrump.
Absolutely fantastic area to explore with an old Jeep.

Obviously this Willys disease can be fatal...
May this comrad  RIP ...
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 2:42am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

They call it Death Valley for a reason. 
Back When I had my stock standard 1948 CJ2A I used to live half way between Ridgecrest and Pahrump.
Absolutely fantastic area to explore with an old Jeep.

Obviously this Willys disease can be fatal...
May this comrad  RIP ...

Would that be near Newberry springs?   The whole area is great for exploring. I miss Jeeping around there.

May our fellow Jeeper RIP.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 5:14pm
No Jim, I worked in Trona Ca. but lived just west of the Ghost town of Ballarat Ca.
Lived in a miners cabin at top of the Slate range.
My fellow railroad workers were most all in Ridgecrest, Ca.

Went out exploring the Panamint mountains and Death Valley area every weekend.
Places like the infamous Charlie Manson hangout aka the Barker ranch. 
The Lotus Gold Mine.
The silver mining ghost town once called Panamint city, 
The Mengal Pass and Badwater.
The first wagon trails prior to the Chinese switchbacks that later crossed the various mountain ranges. 
Indian Wells,  Telescope Peak and so much more.

An especially secluded and reclusive area.
Occasionally had time to venture as out far out as the Nevada state line.
I'm still hoping to get back there someday. 

Edited by oldtime - 11 July 2019 at 5:19pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 5:46pm
Trona, Named after the mineral mined there.. Think  Magnesium  was also mined there.  Been to Panamint  city. Neat mining area to explore.  Barker Ranch was interesting and unsettling. Been run off by un-friendlies from unknown military areas.  We had friends in Kramers Corner, "4 corners" that we would stay with and head out from there.  

Hope you make it back out to visit again. Sure hope I can do so.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:43pm
Sorry to hear this news. I only hope he had his flatty for years and explored every trail out there before his passing. 
When I worked for Chrysler we did hot start testing and hvac development/validation there, always in August.  We usually stayed at the Ranch in Death Valley as did many engineers from many different car companies.  It's a beautiful area and I hear the best time to be there is in the spring. I would love to get out there with our Willy's sometime. One thing we did that I loved was go out to the Devil's Golf Course late at night. Great Milky Way viewing. My boss said he's seen ghost lights there, but we didn't see anything. 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 7:21pm
   Geesh, that is bad-news !

25-years ago, my dad lost a neighbor's friend who was changing differentials under a logging Semi-Tractor. The neighbor left the house to go on a parts-run, and while he was gone, one of the differentials slipped off the blocks pinning the guy under it and the weight suffocated him. so so sad.
    We never know when an earthquake may happen, so normally, ( normally ) will either put wood rounds under the chassis, or spare tires in case the vehicle gets knocked off the jack-stands by an act-of-earth.

Ken and Jim:
in 1982 I spent a week exploring the Saline Valley at the north end of Death Valley. There was a real nice hot-spring man-made soaking tub called the "Tea-Pot" and it sure felt nice after a long day of dirt bike riding.
 Post Reply Post Reply