Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commando parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commando parts?
    Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:16pm
Looking at a 1970 commando for some parts. It has a 225 in it, which is the main reason I want it. It’s an automatic tranny, which should be a t400 right? Is there any demand for the auto trans? 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:09am
The implication here is that the Commando can't be saved.  That's too bad.  Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:19am
Lotsa projects here have been thought of in the same way maybe....what's the rest of the Commando look like?

Yes, you should be able to sell the Turbo400.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 4:42am
Unfortunatly the body is toast. It was apparently parked
 in the woods under a tarp  for the last 30 years. The engine turns by hand though. My plan is to get the engine running if possible, then part out what I can and scrap the rest. I seems to have some good parts. The running gear should be pretty easy to get rid of I think. It even has a 30 spline, Dana 44 rear, although center diff. Is the trans the same as any 400 that would bolt to a small block or something special? 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 4:18am
The trans might have the Buick-Olds-Pontiac engine bolt pattern instead of the Chevy pattern.  That might be worth something extra.  Or not.  Ya never know 'til ya try.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 5:43pm
Heck  just stuff the running gear under your rig. it should have sag steering in it. larger brakes.  It would be the BOP T400 trans. Nearly bullet proof.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 12:51am
How about a rust free 1970 commando body and frame to put all that into? 
Where is one of those?
Oh I have one. Damned if I’m ever going to get at it.
Just a thought.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 2:24am
How about some parts for you to build yours? I’ve got more projects than I am likely to get to in the next 10 years already.  I’m going to keep the steering set up and some other small stuff and part the rest out. Turned out it has a t14 instead of the auto trans, so that was a nice surprise when I picked it up. It’s a good drivetrain set up for somebody. 
 Post Reply Post Reply