Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time behind the wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time behind the wheel
    Posted: 11 July 2019 at 4:21am
My daughter wanted to drive the jeep tonight! How can i say "no" to that!  Share the story of your first driving experiences. 

I didnt drive my first jeep until I was about 16... But started driving at 10.My dad would put me on his lap like this when I was Scarlett's age(my daughter). We would drive around on old logging roads in the woods. When I was 10 or 11 my mom would take me and my dirt bike out to our friends farm... I would always beg to drive once we made it to their property. So at 10 years old I learned to drive a 1987 Chevy S-10 with a 4-speed. I stalled it all the time but eventually figured it out. haha! I thought I was one cool kid! Saul (my son) can't quite push in the clutch on the jeep yet, but as soon as he can we will be having fun! Tell us your story! 

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 11:54am
Very nice, ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ The sooner you start them the better ๐Ÿ˜ Here is my granddaughter Ava a few years ago....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
โ€œIf you wait, you only get olderโ€
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:32pm
Nice Guys!! I love it Clap I told my oldest son (8) he can drive as soon as his feet reach the brake pedal.... He is just about there Smile
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:14pm
I learned how to drive and use a clutch in the 1949 Jeep that I now own. It was on Saint Mary's glacier road in Colorado....almost rolled the Jeep over coming around a hairpin turn too fast....But a Jeep is a good vehicle to learn how to drive a stick shift....:)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 5:52pm
I had a go-kart from the time I was about 9, but the first car/truck I drove was my parent's Chevy Carryall on the dirt roads at our cabin.  I was probably 12 or 13 at the time.

Around the same time my dad let me drive the 1929 Model A we had as a father-son project.  That was putting around the neighborhood, but it was where I learned to work a clutch.

Both of my sons first drove the '75 CJ5 I had when they were 10.  We were on family vacations fourwheeling and after strapping them in the driver's seat I'd start it in gear and work the hand throttle while they steered (and I'd shut off the engine if we needed to stop!).  After a year or two of that they worked the gas and brake pedal too.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:09pm
That is awesome!  My kids all started driving old Willys Jeeps when they were around 13 years old. We would let them drive out in the fields and on the gravel drive.  Over time we let them drive on some of our off road adventures (very nerve racking with the stock brakes on hills for me).

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:06pm
Those videos of girls were fun to watch. Smile

Me:  - learned clutch on 9N tractor,   grandparent's farm at early age. 
        - first time I remember driving on road,  maybe about 12,  was in my Dad's '51 Ford pickup.
       He stopped about 1/2 mile from home one day,  got out and walked around to passenger side,
       I was scared and excited when he said "slide over to driver seat". 

My sons:  first driving experiences were in Wilson.  Easy to learn clutch with 225,  hard to stall out. Wink

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 10:19pm

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 10:29pm
It's all well and good until they want to change gears!  Then you realize that YOU have to rebuild the transmission when they destroy it learning how to drive it. (This applies to wives as well).

Edited by cal.bar - 12 July 2019 at 6:24pm
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:58pm
My son's 16 and likes to ride in the Jeep more than drive it, but he's learning to drive it and I think it's important that kids know how to drive a stick shift. My Dad had a '71 Suburban with a 350 and three on the three. I learned to drive it when I was 13. He'd get pretty frustrated with me and I think it was stressful for him, but I learned and have always loved driving manual trans cars. I am putting that same 350 together and putting it in my '63 Nova with a Muncie M21 4 speed. Should be nice when it's done. I still have the Munce 3 speed and bellhousing from his truck too, so maybe someday I'll run into something I can use it in. 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 10:30pm
WOW!!!Big smile
This post brings back great times for me.  Learned to drive the 2A around 11yrs of age.  We used it in the groves and beat the heck out of it in the Salton Sea area.  Drove Dad's D2 cat in the groves as well. Ran over a orange tree once and can still hear Dad say, Why did you run over the Orange tree?  Next time run over a Lemon tree.LOL
I still have the '47 2A I worked out of, as a teen.  

Glad to see these pics!  Your making memories for your kids to have.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:02am
Thanks for all the replies! Im really enjoying this! 
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:59am
Awesome! My first behind the wheel time was 1963, age 8, not in a jeep but first on a Farmall 100 with Wagner front 3nd loader ( All by myself!!!) Then days later in a 1959 International dump ( on Dad's lap). Awesome experiences! Now I have a freshly rebuilt  '48 2A that my sons have driven, and in a few more years, the grandsons are welcome to give it a whirl!!
Keep the examples coming!!!
JR
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 3:03am
I had forgotten about this one at first.  It's not a great picture since it's a screen grab from a video.  But it's a great picture!  When my sons were 11 and 27 months old we left the 11 month old with my parents and drove the CJ5 out to Colorado.  My older son did great with it, with really no tantrums or anything in a week of being strapped into the car seat and sleeping in a tent.

On the last day we were driving back from a mine building we had explored and I had him sit on my lap while I drove.  As you can see, he loved it!  Obviously he wasn't really driving, but this is titled "First time behind the wheel," and it was that!

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 4:05am
Wow, nice post Seth. I learned to drive a stick in a '68 VW bug when I was 13 or 14. Mom took me down to the school in summer time and let me drive around the school. My sons learned to drive a stick in my back field in a '74 CJ5. We found some old videos they made with their buddies blasting around in the woods and field. Really lucky they survived! The '74 later donated it's brake system to my '48.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply