Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK DVLA Registration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK DVLA Registration
    Posted: 11 July 2019 at 10:15pm
Hiya,

I'm in the UK and have an imported CJ2A that I brought over from the USA. 

To be able to drive it on the road, it needs to be registered and a V55 obtained, which is similar to USA 'Title'.

To do this, one needs a 'dating certificate'. I've gone through all this before with another CJ2A and had no problems. However, on this occasion, the DVLA have rejected the application, because the source for the production date of the 1946 CJ2A is from the Kaiser Willys Web site, list of Jeep Serial numbers. 

The DVLA say they don't accept the internet as a reliable source. They, presumably, want an official, printed book with lists of serial numbers in there.

Does any kind of old reference book exist?

Cheers, Neil
Neil from Bucks...
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:19am
I had a similar situation getting my 1946 CJ2A S/N 12374 registered in California- just had a bill of sale no title. A big help documenting the year model was found on this site in the Research and History section. Found help in the Yearly Production Serial Numbers topic.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 1:35pm
This is about as official as you're going to get.  

Maybe it will work.  Try bringing them a number of internet sources that report the same information/data. 

Edited by athawk11 - 12 July 2019 at 1:37pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

This is about as official as you're going to get.  

Maybe it will work.  Try bringing them a number of internet sources that report the same information/data. 

...and when you present it to them it's "not something you got from the internet", it's an "electronic copy of period manufacturer documentation"

(not sure how it is across the pond, but over here it can be totally dependent on the person that waits on you, and what they hear when you say it Ermm )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:47pm
The book by Jim Allen, Illustrated Jeep Buyer's Guide, could be a help.  On page 54 there are production numbers by year and beginning & ending serial number for model year. 

Good luck with the bureaucracy.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

The book by Jim Allen......

That's what I was thinking; A printout showing serial numbers.   A bound publication would be better.

This will be interesting to follow to see how it goes!

Good luck!

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Neil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 11:42am
Hey, thanks everyone, it's a great help.

I bought a copy of the Jim Allen Book, the Illustrated Buyers guide, JEEP.

Sure enough, page 54 has the serial number / date list.

I think this will be sufficient for the DVLA here in the UK as it is an established book with an ISBN,

I've just re-sent my V5/Logbook application off and await with bated breath!

Thanks again..

Neil in the UK
Neil from Bucks...
Neil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 2:46pm
Latest news...the DVLA accepted my referencing that book in relation to CJ2a dating and I now have a log-book (Title doc, for you Americans!) with nice, age-related number..

Thanks again,

Neil
Neil from Bucks...
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 4:32am
SUCCESS!  YAY!!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 2:19pm
Congrats!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 9:29am
Hi Neil. Just read your post and have the same problem. Does the book have M38 serial numbers listed as well as CJ2a?. Did you just send a copy of the page, or the whole book? Many thanks James
 Post Reply Post Reply