Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bell housing rubbing on flywheel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bell housing rubbing on flywheel?
    Posted: 17 July 2019 at 3:01pm
I recently had engine work done and decided to swap in a new bell housing since the old one had a broken ear. I'm using the same clutch assembly as before.  The problem is that the flywheel now rubs in the 4 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. The six o'clock position is quite tight. 

Shouldn't it rub all the way around? Are flywheels not perfectly round? Could the machine shop have dropped the block and slightly bent the crank;  I can't see any visible wobble?

Thoughts??

Edited by dgregg - 17 July 2019 at 7:26pm
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 3:15pm
You said you swapped bell housings. Were they exactly the same? Flywheel on correctly? Pictures may  help too as we may see something that you overlooked.

Side story. Used to live in Ohio and every once in a while driving through Rootstown I would see a red flat fender driving on the snow covered roads. Looked a lot like your avatar photo but this was close to 10 years ago or so
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 3:17pm
Flywheels are perfectly round, but not so with the bell housing they turn in.
Later Jeeps, beginning with the CJ3A had a different bell housing to accommodate a larger flywheel and clutch. 

You didn't say what year Jeep yours is, but I see a 48 CJ2A listed at the bottom of the post. I have a late production 48 CJ2A which was built with some CJ3A components, haven't checked the bell housing yet, but it was built on a CJ3A frame, has the later style steering box with the horn wire coming out the bottom instead of the earlier brush assembly.

An earlier bell housing would have the problem you describe if installed using the later flywheel.

Is is possible you have the later flywheel? This can be determined by counting the teeth, or measuring the pressure plate. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:11pm
  More info is needed:

What flywheel/clutch/bellhousing/starter combination did you start with? What combo are you having trouble with? Four o'clock and six o'clock inside the bellhousing, or on the flywheel? 

The late, 129 tooth flywheel won't work with the MB/CJ2-A bellhousing, and the MB/CJ2-A starter won't work with either the late bellhousing or the late flywheel. Also, the late starter won't work with the early bellhousing or the early flywheel.

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:43pm
I used to fool around with old VW beetles. When installing a later, bigger engine in an older beetle there were issues with clearance of the flywheel to transaxle bell housing. We would just grind them out where needed, and that was sometimes interesting because these are magnesium which when ground into dust can go up like gun powder if a good spark hits the dust.

I don't know if you could clearance one of the older bell housings to take a later flywheel, but even so you may still have an issue with the starter. At least they aren't made of magnesium.

So, count the teeth on your flywheel, and that will tell us what you have. If it is the later 129 tooth, you will need to find a later bell housing.
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:19pm
Berrettajeep,

I have had this jeep for nearly 20 years so you may have seen me. I have the only red flat fender around Rootstown.
 Flywheel on correctly? It would seem the tapered bolts would guarentee alignment and I did alternate studs and gradually torque the studs down. 
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:21pm
which flywheel?  I'll go and count teeth after dinner. The starter is the same one that I used previously with this flywheel.

Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:25pm
4 and 6 o'clock looking at the bell housing.  I'm using the same clutch/flywheel as before the engine work. I'll count teeth after supper.
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 10:41pm
I count 124 teeth on the flywheel.  It does rotate, but scapes the bottom of the bell housing. Maybe a little grinder work as old pappy suggests?
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 12:17am
Could you take pics of original B-housing and the replacement?  Also the starter.  Does the pressure plate rub?   Does sound like the wrong B-housing.  

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 3:51am
You could change the ring gear on the fly wheel and the Bendix gear on the starter to match.  All the flywheels are the same diameter and the difference is in the ring gear.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 1:45pm
WeeWilly, I believe the starter and flywheel match as they are both original to the jeep.
Thanks for he suggestion.
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 1:59pm
Well, pictures were supposed to show up here.....

Anyway, both bell housings are identical. What I wanted to show was that after examining the grease pattern of the old bell housing, I can see that the flywheel cleared the 6 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions by no more than the thickness of a sheet of paper. ( There is a layer of grease coating the inside of the housing and it is very thin at the problem locations). 

I'm going to try to releave about a mm of metal at these locations with a grinder and hope for the best.

Edited by dgregg - 18 July 2019 at 2:08pm
Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 2:03pm
dgreeg,

I ran into a similar problem 25+ years ago.  In my case the flywheels tapered bolts hole had been drilled out per some service bulletin and replaced with non tapered bolts.  This allowed for the flywheel to be (by mistake) installed backwards.  The bell housing and everything else bolted up fine but the ring gear contacted the bell housing along its teeth inside.  The fix was to turn around the flywheel and reinstall it the proper way.

Probably of no value to fixing your issues but perhaps it will save others a few minutes of wrenching at some point.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 6:44pm
It is fixed now.   I definitely had the right bellhousing.  It had the half moon cut-out and a round cable entry, just like the old one. I found that it was also rubbing just above the starter opening.  I used my angle grinder and was able to gain the clearance on the troublesome spots. It was a strange problem though. 

If anyone has this problem again I would suggest painting the inside of the housing so that you can easily see where the paint was scraped off. 

Thanks to all who replied and offered their suggestions.

Don   Smile

Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 6:52pm
where can I find a bell housing for 59 cj5 the tranny is t19 I believe. thanks
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 9:08pm
CJ's did not come with 124toth ring gears 97 early and 129 late the 124's were wagon pickup ring gearsif I remember correctly.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 11:36pm

Starter, Pinion Gear Diameters & Ring Gear Specs - M38

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>