Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46cj2a
    Posted: 22 July 2019 at 2:04pm
hey guys new to The forum
I rebuilt the bottom end of my 46 CJ everything I transfer case rear end everything let my son-in-law tow it I thought he knew what he was doing but he towed it with a strap and  snatched it several times instead of smooth towing towed it in neutral put the transfer case in hi here's my problem when I'm driving down the road it doesn't make any noise until I put it in neutral and  then it makes a whining noise any ideas  ? Thanks gentleman
David
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 2:20pm
Welcome to the page, LN... Thumbs Up

when you put what in neutral?  Trans or TC?  and can you isolate the noise to one or the other?

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Leatherneck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 9:09pm
hey thank when I'm driving down the road when I push the clutch in to shift between gears or when I shift into neutral and just slow it down with a break that's when it starts making a noise I leave the transfer case in high when I'm driving I'm assuming that's what you're asking me . because I just replaced everything underneath the Jeep and it wasn't doing that until he towed it with a strap and jerked it a couple times really hard I just assume t  he knew to tow a vehicle but obviously not it's got me puzzled but I would appreciate any suggestions
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 1:33am
by not having the transfer case in neutral do you think that messed it up and runs great shift fine just makes a noise when you put it in neutral to slow down we towed it three miles any ideas sounds to me like maybe I don't know what to look for
David
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:01am
Heck, these rigs are about as tough as they come. I doubt that you can hurt one towing it down the road. Now if it were really, really STUCK... With the frame rails berried and you were using a D-8 Caterpillar, then you can do some damage, AMHIK!

At first I thought that it had been towed with a tow bar for several hundred miles, which if done incorrectly, can damage the gear boxes. If you-all just towed it across town with a strap or a chain, I seriously doubt that you-all hurt it.  A few jerks will not hurt one of these. It isn't a Kia you know.

If you left out some bolt that hold things together, like the gear boxes, axles, or the engine, then all bets are off. OTOH, Leaving the differentials, the drive shafts, or the gear boxes dry, & then towing it can be a bad thing.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 5:38am
Make sure the t-case is fully in gear if it’s not fully engaged it could make a noise?
I had a locking hub half in and half out make a noise when coasting. 
Good luck.
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 11:40am
thanks gentleman for all the input , gotta figure this out
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:48pm
that's what's got me puzzled it didn't do it till after I towed it but I didn't tow it three  miles I'm going to put it up on blocks run through the gears and see if it makes the noise when it gets up to speed see if I can isolate it what do you think
David
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:18am
A noise when in neutral might be the bearings between the input and output shafts in the tranny.  My dad had a '71 Vega that developed that problem once.  Now that I think of it, the noise went away when the clutch pedal was pushed in.  Maybe I'm just muddying the waters now...  Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:06pm
gotta figure it out thanks for the info and feel free to give advice on this
David
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:10pm
If no noise under a load, but presents itself coasting, either of the pinions pre-load is incorrect, or your transmission mainshaft does not have enough end-play.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 8:42pm
okay gentlemen need some help
I believe it's the transfer case bearing that's making the noise
I can drive the CJ in 2-wheel high and it makes the noise when  I let off the gas I drive it in 2 wheel low and makes no noise at all
David
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 9:56pm
The rear drive shaft can rumble on coast if the splines are worn. You can check for play at the slip joint, both rotational and by pushing up and down on the shaft. You can try re-indexing the splines 180 degrees from where it is.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 11:57am
okay guys need more advice how hard is it to replace that seal on the rear yoke where the drive shaft goes in it's leaking any advice on how to go about it
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 11:43pm
gentleman what is the best way to pull the rear axle out from under a 46 cj2a to rebuild it
David
 Post Reply Post Reply