Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Gladiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 12:46pm
Winter prep:  Undercoated the Gladiator using the Waxoyl undercoating/ corrosion treatment last weekend. We had our first snow and I had to park the truck to and drive the TJ to keep it out of the salt until I could get the undercoating applined.

The fenders are pretty much held together with one time use plastic fasteners - so if you do this job expect to replace almost every fastener you remove.  Also added the factory mud flaps as part of this job.  I was surprised that the inner fender plastic skirts don't cover the frame rails.  Applied extra hard wax to the frame rails on top of the corrosion creeping wax that gets fogged and sprayed on/in to every surface / cavity. 

So, I guess we are ready for winter.  I am considering adding headliners and foaming the hollow cavities in the removable hard top.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:39am
35,000 miles so far on this 2020 Gladiator truck - all is good.  

I have added a few things:
- Head liners from Boom.  Really helps with the noise on the highway.
- Hood Lock from Mopar.   Was a pain to set up the key - Should have purchased BOLTs hood lock
- Trailer Brake Control - Mopar.  Install was easy - I did relocate the 12V plug lower on the dash.
- Auto Engine Turn Off Switch.  Ordered a module to change its default setting, so the truck stays "ON" at stop lights and can be manually put into the factory mode as needed.

Edited by Stev - 10 May 2021 at 12:33pm
Stev
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

- all is good.  

Must be so........they are running all over the place here in my little corner of N AL, looks like their sales are equalling JKs!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:46pm

35,000 miles so far on this 2020 Gladiator truck - all is good. 
- Auto Engine Turn Off Switch.  Ordered a module to change its default setting, so the truck stays "ON" at stop lights and can be manually put into the factory mode as needed.

I've been in a few cars with this feature. I don't care for it and makes me nervous. I guess because it brings back some bad memories of my old beaters stalling out in rush hour traffic and praying hard the car would start again.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 1:59pm
Yes - a feature that turns off your vehicle while you about to make a left across on coming traffic - seems questionable.  Plus, starting the engine a couple of thousand extra times - that will not cause any issues.  

Stev
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 3:28pm

Yes - a feature that turns off your vehicle while you about to make a left across on coming traffic - seems questionable.  Plus, starting the engine a couple of thousand extra times - that will not cause any issues.  

No worries, I'm sure the starter & flexplate (or ring gear) are cheap & easy to replace...... NOT!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:59pm
Our 2020 Outback XT had a firmware update, so the auto-off feature can now be canceled from the home screen instead of searching thru menus. Just tap it before you go and you're good. It's not something I'm a fan of, and can be a PITA but its mainly the wife's car.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:42pm
My wife upgraded to an ecoboost Expedition and I got her Flex, with the auto off the expedition gets the same mpg. I always use towhaul or sport to turn it off so it doesn't bother me. 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:15am

Added another Gladiator to our active vehicle mix.
We have been looking for a while and with the supply chain issues there were only 5 vehicles in the dealer inventory list with the Max Tow and winter group in inventory with in 250 miles of Cincinnati (no real color choices - we went with a gray color truck).  This one (2022) was a special order that someone bailed on.  It has a bunch of options the 2020 does not have - most of them are electronic gadgets.  The 2022 has a limited slip rear end and a full time four wheel drive option in the transfer case.

My wife was the first to use the four wheel drive in the 2022.  We were working in the apple orchard and she managed to spin the rear wheels in the grass / get stuck.  She got it out with no issue.   So that is out of the wayThumbs Up.

The big stuck of the day was when I burred the zero turn mower just below the spring.  It is a bad spot that we never mow.  The recovery was done with the PTO winch on the 1946 CJ2A through the woven wire fence.  This was the first actual working pull with the X98/PTO Cog Gear set up. It worked great.

The shift points on the 2022 are a little different than the 2020.  On the highway it(2022) is getting 23 mpg.  The 2020 gets closer to 21 mpg.  The 2022 also has LED headlight which are super to see with but WOW do they draw the bugs.

The max tow package still does not come with the factory trailer brake controller - so that is a dealer added on.

All good so far.
Stev
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 4:11pm
Don't have a Gladiator, but the wife has a JL Rubicon and I just wanted to chime in on the stop/start: It makes me hate the government even more. The automotive industry has had some LAUGHABLE features over the years thanks to the arm pit of an entity that is the EPA.

The first, and so far only, mod we've done on the JL is a $175 box that plugs in under the dash and lets you keep the stop/start off until you chose to turn it back on.

Also, the JL has so many nannies that it's infuriating. I'm so sick of being forced to be safe. I grew up in the country jumping go-karts and flipping 3 wheelers... ALSO I've been blown up in multiple other countries and I'm still alive SO, MAYBE let me back the damn JL up to the boat with the door open instead of slamming it in park so I don't somehow run myself over

Sorry for the rant. Forced "safety" has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I just drove her Rubi to work last week and it did all it could to get on my nerves and I'm obviously still hot about it LOL

His/Hers pic just because:
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by ACRay ACRay wrote:

......I just drove her Rubi to work last week and it did all it could to get on my nerves and I'm obviously still hot about it LOL

But SHE likes it, right? Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 7:56pm
Happy wife happy life!
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 11:07am
Late to this thread, but here is my 2021 Gladiator Sport with Maxtow, pulling my new Sure-Trac aluminum trailer.  Hauling my 3a Farm Jeep with a 300 lb plow hanging off the rear of the Jeep.  

Really nice tow rig.  The backup camera has a zoom feature that makes hookup a breeze

I love it, but wish it had more electronic safety options, not less.  I've had the auto engine off in a vehicle since 2015 and hated it at first.  But then quickly learned to control it with brake pedal pressure  Just second nature now.

Barry T

https://www.farmjeep.com/
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 9:42am
The auto off was really sensitive on our 2020 Gladiator - so we added the delete kit.  The 2022 Graduator's auto off feature is not very sensitive at all - so I am not planning on adding the auto off delete kit.

Barry - I think I saw your Gladiator at the Spring Reunion.  Really looks nice.  Glad you got the Max Tow.

My 2022 has a bunch of electric stuff the 2020 did not have.  It has backup / blind spot monitoring, active cruse control, the big screen and so on.  So far so good.  

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 10:26am
Update on the 2022 Gladiator with Max Tow - still all good - 17k on the clock.

I added the latch kit for the auto off switch, the trailer brake controller, undercoated the truck, relocated the power port, added LED rear Aux lights, and the ARB long range Aux fuel tank kit (17 gal).

- The brake controller has an indicator light that is a little screwy -it only luminates when the trailer is plugged in - this is different than the 2020 which is luminated like the other gauges when the lights come on.
- Rear LED lights use one of the factory supplied Aux switches on the dash.
- The Aux tank has its own gauge which is pretty small.  A local shop installed this kit.  It took them a lot of time to reroute the exhaust.  This moves the range to 700+ miles.

Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234