Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a leaf spring question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-2a leaf spring question
    Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

I have a set of Crown front stock springs and a Crown stock spring on the passengers side rear.  But an 11 leaf heavy spring (stock is 9) on the drivers side rear.   The Jeep sits level.  Rides like an old Jeep.

The heavy spring came from Quarter Ton and Military in northern Georgia.   Tub sits 21.5" from the ground on both sides.

Good info there. I gathered a bunch of stock tapered springs for front(10) and back(9) and correct length individual leafs. I then mixed and matched and put all the most arched on the driver’s side packs and the 2nd most on the passenger’s side and made spares of the rest. The Jeep rides great on bilstein shocks and 1/2” lift shackles. Sits at 21-3/4” both sides so happy with that.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 8:52pm
I've also used a local spring shop for my 2a and a ford truck. Told them what I wanted, what the intended use was and was advised accordingly. I also have Walcks seat springs and am very happy with them. I'm a 190 lbs and have not hit bottom on the seat pans on my excursions offroad and are comfortable
Phil
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 7:36pm
I have a set of Crown front stock springs and a Crown stock spring on the passengers side rear.  But an 11 leaf heavy spring (stock is 9) on the drivers side rear.   The Jeep sits level.  Rides like an old Jeep.

The heavy spring came from Quarter Ton and Military in northern Georgia.   Tub sits 21.5" from the ground on both sides.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 7:08pm
[/QUOTE]

I have the Rancho 2.5 inch lift springs on my stretched CJ2A. It rides like an empty dump truck.
[/QUOTE]

They are notorious for that. Try removing the third or fourth spring in the pack.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

While I am still trying to figure out the issue of "which springs", I would note that a softer spring plus lower tire pressure will allow for going faster over rough terrain (at least with fewer lost teeth). Also, if you go with more lift, you need to pay attention to your shocks (more lift with original shocks may equal broken shocks... at least it did for me). Some have mentioned Rancho springs... might want to check on that.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with...

I have the Rancho 2.5 inch lift springs on my stretched CJ2A. It rides like an empty dump truck.

I'm actually researching which leaf to pull to make it softer and articulate a bit better.

I'm in the same boat as others where the local option is both expensive and doesn't seem to be interested in making a set of springs for a lowly 2A.

Edited by LesBerg - 11 Sep. 2019 at 6:01pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 2:12am
HMMMMM Rat Patrol revisitedLOL

Love it!!!   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 6:09pm
Mike shot the first video. Those shots came from Bruce. The springs are still on GW
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I used a set from Walcks and they are pretty good at a reasonable price. I did remove one leaf from each one to smooth them out.

.... even after this they are still in good shape years later.

I will need new springs on my '3A project (previous owner ran a snow plow).   I had pretty much narrowed choice down to Walck's    

I did not realize you had used those.   Are they still on General Willys? 

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Walcks springs in action:

That video makes me laugh every time I see it,  even though I have probably watched it over 100 times. LOL  Clap

I had to go back and find some snaps I saved out of the video,   maybe we can glean some useful info about springs in these still shots. Wink     This must be from a different video,  the angle is different.

The infamous Tire "Release and Catch"

Edited by JeepFever - 26 July 2019 at 6:10pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:10pm
I used a set from Walcks and they are pretty good at a reasonable price. I did remove one leaf from each one to smooth them out.

Walcks springs in action:

.... even after this they are still in good shape years later.

Edited by jpet - 26 July 2019 at 5:24pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:29pm
I have the crown springs from about 12 years ago, they are stiff but are loosening up with use. I've been happy with them and they gave a big lift mostly because the old ones were broke and worn out. Take care when you install your c- shackles, for years I had mine to tight and they weren't letting the springs flex properly because they couldn't move.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:55pm
Well everyone I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. Probably seems like a quick decision from when I made the post til now but that's how it goes

I drove over the the spring shop this morning and well... they were honestly pretty rude and seemed really bothered by my inquiry. I've got thick skin so it's not like it bothered me, but it just doesn't seem like and smart way to conduct business, so I'm passing on the local option

Since I didnt really want to lift the CJ... I've decided to go with Crown brand front and rear - stock replacements. In the past for other things, I've had problems with Omix so I wasn't going to use them anyway. But.... I've also decided that I'm going to just install them as is and find out how bad the ride is first hand before jumping to any conclusions. IF for any reason it really is unbearable I will mess around with taking the smallest leaf off in each rear spring

After some light reading on other forums it seems that is a popular thing to do with all makes and models when looking from a softer ride. But before I do that, I need to know definitively that it's too rough or not

I really appreciate everyone chiming in, and unfortunately because the Jeep is mostly apart I won't be able to give a proper update for a little while.. I will definitely be sure to take some pics and post up about my experience once it's said and done

Edited by HotBox - 26 July 2019 at 2:57pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:28am
Welcome to the page, HotBox!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:10am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Quick question hopefully on topic, what information does a spring shop need to make replacements? Can you just bring them your old ones? Any specifics we should ask for? Thank you in advance.

x2!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:33pm
I got a quote from the local place for $225 for one spring. Well over double for a stock replacement. If it can be made to.my specs, then it would probably be worth the extra dough

I haven't gone in to personally speak to them, or brought an old spring in to show them. But my impression was they haven't delt with very many Jeeps so I'm not sure how well their heavy truck experience will equate to a light duty Jeep (or maybe I'm not giving them enough credit)
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

As with AKoller, if I had it to do again with what I now know, I'd also go to a spring shop and try to get a set with the same lift I now have but with more flex. And, as with AKoller, I still may.

My main reason I haven’t yet is I have spent quite a bit of money on my Jeep of late with my SM420 swap and  I wish to stay married.Smile
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:10pm
As with AKoller, if I had it to do again with what I now know, I'd also go to a spring shop and try to get a set with the same lift I now have but with more flex. And, as with AKoller, I still may.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:38pm
If I were to do it again, which I very well may, I would go talk to a custom spring maker and give him the parameters on which I want and see if he could make a set to match my needs. From what I’ve found custom springs aren’t terribly pricey.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:25pm
Yours in pretty spot on. I do have the newer seats, tire pressure will be lowered, and bilstein shocks are the best (for my new and old vehicles). So far I've been leaning towards some stock ones, with possibly a leaf removed.

At the beginning of making this thread I was going most likely going to go with stock replacements, and so far unfortunately that looks to be my only option
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>