Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a leaf spring question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-2a leaf spring question
    Posted: 25 July 2019 at 3:16am
Hello all, I'm at the point of my frame off resto that I'm just about ready to put my axles and springs back on

I've driven in a few CJ-2a/3a, and I know without any load in the rear it's pretty rough, as it's supposed to be

Right now I'm in the middle of a decision and am hoping some more educated minds can chime in. I have a local Jeep shop that has stock replacements in stock, Crown and Omix brand leaf springs. I can easily pick them up and install....

But I was wondering if this is the "softest" option. I'm not necessarily opposed to a very mild lift (1"-2.5"). I already asked around and found out SuperLift is discontinued so that's out...

I'm not looking to have my Jeep ride like a Cadillac I just am looking for the smoothest ride possible. And before anyone asks I really did attempt to search, but I found no absolute answer

I really appreciate any recommendations anyone has

Thank you
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 3:31am
My Crown springs give a good ride.
BOULDER 48 2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 5:16am
If your not going to be hauling weight with your jeep you can always remove one of the leaf's to soften the ride.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 5:20am
Airing the tires down some will soften the ride.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Airing the tires down some will soften the ride.

I do this, but it comes with increased tire noise and wear...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 12:10pm
I haven't heard that recommended before. Which leaf would be the one to remove, a small or large one?

Although I do have a 1/4 ton trailer I use, it's not very often compared to regular street driving

I've got a 225 v6 under the hood so it's got a bit more pep than the L134 but normal conditions are just me and the wife, not much in cargo. Just trying to cruise around town a but more comfortable (within reason, I know it's still just an old farm tractor)

As amother user said airing down the tires is good, I had down this in the past with some results but the back end was still super stiff

Edited by HotBox - 25 July 2019 at 1:30pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:22pm
The "softest" option might be to change out the seats and cushions to something that is not 70 years old and get something with more padding.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:33pm
Definitely a good suggestion. Thankfully I have some re-upholstered low back buckets from my 67 Commando that are much more comfortable than the stock cushions it came with. The only real problem with the ride is that kidney punching bumpage from the light back end. Since its getting new leafs on all 4 corners I wanted to find out if comfortable is an option. Not luxury, just a bit comfortable

I've thought about keeping a permanent counterweight in the back but before jumping to any conclusions I wanted to ask what everyone else has done

Edited by HotBox - 25 July 2019 at 1:43pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:39pm
You would remove one of the shorter leaf's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:48pm
I had a set of Crown springs, went flat in a year, complete waist of hard earned dollars 💵 be careful with the lift springs offered, usually very stiff. I ended up having a local spring shop make me a set of springs with 1” lift and I have been very happy with them and have held up well for 3 years now and several trips to the mountains.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:59pm
X2 on the local spring company. I've been getting mine from St Louis Spring. I tell them exactly what I want, and they make them for me usually the same day. Price is approximately $150 per spring pack which is competitive and they stand by their work.

I sent them a drawing yesterday morning and they called me up that afternoon to tell me they are done.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 2:09pm
While I am still trying to figure out the issue of "which springs", I would note that a softer spring plus lower tire pressure will allow for going faster over rough terrain (at least with fewer lost teeth). Also, if you go with more lift, you need to pay attention to your shocks (more lift with original shocks may equal broken shocks... at least it did for me). Some have mentioned Rancho springs... might want to check on that.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with...
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 3:32pm
I never buy the Omix junk but somehow ended up with a set of their front springs.
There was almost no flex to them.
About 1" of flex with full front weight of the jeep on them. 
Omix Adda once again receives the Worst Product Award !

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 3:54pm
Quick question hopefully on topic, what information does a spring shop need to make replacements? Can you just bring them your old ones? Any specifics we should ask for? Thank you in advance.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 5:57pm
Definitely a good point to note 3A Steve. I wasn't sure I was going to go with any lift at all, but I had heard that sometimes with a minor lift (1" or so) could result in a softer ride due to the company you buy from has a better spring rate. Superlift seemed to be everyone's main choice years ago but after emailing the company they no longer offer sell them. For the shocks, I know I'd have to measure the lengths and find what works, I was almost positive I would go with Bilsteins since I have them on 2 other modern Jeeps and they're fantastic

As far as rancho goes, I've read on this forum and a few other so many mixed results I don't even know what to think about them. Of course it's all personal taste.

I do have access to a local spring shop. They can make anything I'd ever need. They are also much more expensive than others... I don't mind paying more for the softer ride, but I honestly just wanted to see if anything online, or a specific brand can be suitable.

With all the aftermarket Jeep companies out there I really thought I'd have an easier time finding something reliable that won't flatten or kill my kidneys
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 6:51pm
I have the 2.5" Superlift springs. My opinion of them doesn't matter much since they don't offer them anymore but here it is anyways.... As far as ride quality goes I believe they offer up a softer ride than the stock springs which is great. As far as going off-road with them my opinion goes down. I don't think they articulate well at all. I honestly think the stock springs articulate better. It seems like I have tires off the ground all the time. The pictures below are fairly extreme conditions but still shows the lack of articulation.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 9:19pm
Factory springs ride pretty smooth for me and lots of arch in them(not flattened stockers). That combined with new seat cushions, new tires at lower pressure, and bilstein shocks and it cruises pretty good. Night and day difference from when I got it. It had some aftermarket leafs, cheapo shocks, 20-year old stiff as hell tires, and would rattle your teeth out.
HotBox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:20pm
That's pretty damn interesting. So from what you can tell do you think the stock springs would've been able to hold the tires to the ground better?

I do plan to take mine trail riding, nothing as beast as what you're doing with yours, but I am concerned with the on oad manners a bit more than offroad. Of couse the superlift springs arent made anymore... but I must admit I'm probably leaning towards Crown brand stock replacements over ranchos minor lifted springs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>