Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daddy's Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daddy's Jeep
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2020 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Beach Bum Beach Bum wrote:

I'm not sure if I am the guy Beretta was referring to but I am in Long Beach (at least my Willys is I spend most of my time in Lynnwood). My "offroad" driving is primarily on the beach, there is not much in the way of trails & unpaved roads (at least that aren't gated).

I'm out here in Lynnwood as well.  Beach Bum, we should connect and go for a drive... I'd love to see your beach paths!

Beer

1946 CJ-2A (under construction)
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2020 at 7:35pm
It's nice to know at least one person in the vicinity.  My husband goes to Lynnwood about once a month on a motorcycle ride.  Daddy's Jeep is not going to be driven far once it is back together and never on the beach!Smile  I will tag it as a collectible.  It will be a miracle if this all comes together by this time next year!
Teddie
CJ2A '47
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2020 at 7:22pm
I'm not sure if I am the guy Beretta was referring to but I am in Long Beach (at least my Willys is I spend most of my time in Lynnwood). My "offroad" driving is primarily on the beach, there is not much in the way of trails & unpaved roads (at least that aren't gated).
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2020 at 1:06am
Well, I have been gone for a while tending to some family business, but we have continued to work on the jeep.  I had some frame repairs done at a local welding shop and bought a new bumper.  We dragged the from out to the local sandblaster, and he did a great job of cleaning it.  I then started putting two coats of POR 15 on it.  It took a while, but I thought it came out pretty nice.  I have also sandblasted or otherwise cleaned many other small parts, and they are now painted and ready whenever it's time for them.  I have had a real challenge finding any body shop that will repair and paint the jeep.  I did finally find one who agreed to work on that for me--next spring!  I hope that he calls me back.  Hubby and I will continue with the frame and eventually get the motor, transmission, etc. reinstalled.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 4:53am
We didn't spend much time on jeep stuff, today.  The sandblaster is officially hooked up, and I used it for a bit.  We spent a total of about 2 minutes on the clutch pedal and about 15 seconds on one of the old bump stomps.  I am very pleased with the results.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 4:59am
It's been over a month since I posted.  We have continued to remove stuff from the frame, but those are not very exciting posts.  Who wants to hear that three more rusted bolts were finally removed?  Today, was a bit more exciting.  I had posted back in September that we were having no luck removing the steering bell crank pin.  I can report a success, today.  A neighbor stopped by today to check on the progress, and I pointed out the stubborn pin.  I gave him a sledge hammer and punch and let him have at it.  He also wailed on the side and bottom of the large pin that was being held in place by the small tapered pin.  In two minutes he had all of it out!  I have to do something special for him or maybe his wife.  
In other news, I picked up a sandblaster from HF, and Hubby and I both have to say that the Chinese are doing a better job of getting holes in the right place and adequate nuts and bolts of the correct sizes in the kit.  All bolts and nuts threaded together smoothly.  I got no cuts from the sheet metal.  This is a marked improvement from the past.  
Photo of the removed pins:

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2019 at 2:17am
We managed, finally, to figure out the Chinese torture puzzle of how to arrange the arms to mount the engine.  Confused  That took about an hour, but it is on the stand.  

Teddie
CJ2A '47
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 5:04pm
It is great seeing the progress you are making on the Willys.  It gets way better when reassembling it!

TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 7:49am
Smile  Today was a nothing burger day on the jeep.  We just had other stuff in our obligation list.  Yesterday, we did pull off the transmission and transfer case, bell housing and engine.  Removing stuff like the starter motor is just a beginning.  The engine still needs to get mounted on the engine stand.  I bought the oversized  half ton one, but we are both feeling odd about it just hanging there from a few bolts.  

Teddie
CJ2A '47
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 4:15am
Originally posted by TeddieG TeddieG wrote:

I guess that they are sort of like rubber baby buggy bumpers.  Say that fast ten times.

I couldn't even think it fast ten times.  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 5:37am
Well, I only took a look at this, because someone mentioned it.  Until two days ago, I never heard the term bump stop.  LOL  This is a live and learn experience.  It would have been something I noticed during the final frame strip down.  For sure, all of them will be replaced.  I guess that they are sort of like rubber baby buggy bumpers.  Say that fast ten times.  Engine stop cable was a new one even to Hubby.  It made a pretty good snap when he hacksawed through it!  Under pressure.

Teddie
CJ2A '47

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 3:54am
Originally posted by TeddieG TeddieG wrote:

I looked at the bump stops on the front, today, and there is no spacer.  In fact, the one on the driver's side is almost flat. 

The driver's side bump stop is missing its rubber piece, hence the flat appearance.  I'm guessing you have noticed that by now. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

A quick trick I use to id plug wires are clothes pins labeled 1 thru 4 with a felt marker.

That's a good one.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 2:51pm
A quick trick I use to id plug wires are clothes pins labeled 1 thru 4 with a felt marker.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 1:09am
First, a response to Ol'Unreliable:  I looked at the bump stops on the front, today, and there is no spacer.  In fact, the one on the driver's side is almost flat.  
The two stubborn nuts that refused to budge came off, today.  Hubby bought a $24 breaker bar, then added a pipe on the end.  Success.  That let the rear differential and leaf springs come off.  Then, he worked on shackles.  They were tough!!  Out of the eight, only one broke off.  I will likely replace all of them, anyway.  I worked on removing a few more things.  First, the final engine mount (center rear).  I also removed all the spark wires and plugs, so we could do another compression test.  #4 was only 75 when we did the initial check.  The other three were 110.  I was very pleased, today, to see that all four are now 125/130.  We forgot that a gas line was still attached, and with the first compression test, it pumped gas a few feet across the shop.  It missed both of us!  I put a rag over it, and that worked, as I think most of the gas got shot out the first time.  There was also  about a half cup of oil in the drain pan.  It was dripping out of the oil pump tube.  I got the plugs back in finger tight for now.  I labeled all the spark wires, too.  Of course, I did it backwards by labeling the back one as #1.  Confused So, I had to fix that.
All in all, I would say that we made more progress this afternoon.

Teddie
CJ2A '47

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 3:54am
I see that you have the 1" bumpstop spacers on the rear.  Were there any spacers on the front? 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 2:37am
My "surprise" was the shock absorber with the washer without a pin... bubba had just put the washer on and then gone after the shaft with a hammer to peen the end over and hold the washer on
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2019 at 7:04pm
Right!  No prisoners.  A few nuts and bolts frustrated us yesterday, so we left them soaking in PB Blaster.  Maybe it will help.  Some of the cotter pins on the shocks were in upside down which made them a bit difficult.  The nail instead of cotter pin was not too difficult to remove.  I know there is at least one more of those in the front.  There will likely be a surprise most every day.  Some might even be good ones.  LOL
Teddie
CJ2A '47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>