Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daddy's Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 6:14am
It's pretty much a surprise every day on this project.  The only progress made, today, was having the paint and body guy who lives across the street come and take a look at the project.  He thinks it is going to be a lot of work.  Of course it is.  He would like for me to just buy a new tub.  I'm not going to do that.  I want this one fixed.  Same for the frame.  It has a few issues.  It's not Daddy's Jeep if I put a new tub on it.  I will be searching for some used parts and some new parts.  Like others on this forum, I am OK with a few bumps here and there.  It's 72 years old.  It will look fabulous to me with a facelift and some lipstick.  
We may make a run to Harbor Freight, soon, and get one of their engine stands.  
Teddie
CJ2A '47
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 1:22pm
From the photos you have posted so far,  the tub appears to be in good shape.   I agree,  keep it Daddy's Jeep, and do not replace the tub.
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 6:16pm
ClapClap  I'm sure that he was just seeing it "as lots of work."  Maybe he thought that I didn't realize that.  Or, he thought that I might get sticker shock!  
Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 7:07am
It was a very frustrating day working on the jeep.  I realized that I was not going to be able to finish my goal, today, or even tomorrow.  It was very disheartening.  I sulked for a bit while on my back in the jeep.  I am over it.  I am not quite ready to turn this over to the body guy.  Maybe I will be ready in another week.  My rush was to fit into his schedule.  Maybe some things will fit into his schedule.  My timeline is not crucial.  Tomorrow, I think that I need to order some body parts. 

Teddie
CJ2A '47
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 12:02pm
These kind of projects are organic, and have their own timetable.  It'll get done Wink

Aside from a body guy maybe having different expectations, a lot of commercial shops have evolved into panel replacement shops, and don't like to deal with rust in any form.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 1:24pm
Curious what needs fixed? . .   have not seen too much rust in photos so far.
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 9:10pm
I guess that I have not posted many of the bad parts.  The good news for Daddy's Jeep is that it lived most of it's life in the arid climate of NM.  Then, it lived in the OK panhandle.  Dry.  It was garaged or covered for the last 25 years.  The numerous layers of paint also protected the top.  It didn't help the bottom.  Hat channels are toast and the front half of the floor pans have some small holes.  The floor under the toolbox is pretty much gone.  

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 2:37am
More progress every day on Daddy's Jeep.  I got all the gauges off the dash, yesterday, along with the accelerator pedal and dimmer switch.  The stuff above the instrument cluster was a bear to get off.  Today, I was smart enough to actually bring a work light under the dash with me.  It helped me see that I still was not able to get some things off.  The dash light and the throttle cable were the worst.  Hubby finally came to assist me with that.  While I had been under the dash, he had been inside the garage removing stuff from the frame.  He had loosened the nuts on the rear rear u-joint and the front rear u-joint.  I got them the rest of the way off, but I couldn't jiggle them apart.  He did the magic trick.  Then I began removing the nuts for the "generator protector shield."  Previously, it had been bent and almost broken in half.  I could not get the final nut off and went back to mess with the body in frustration.  He got it off and came out to find me in the tent with the body.  He thought that I might have melted down out there, and he might find me in a fetal position.  No such luck!  I was out there frustrating myself while trying to remove foot loops.  You will see in the photos that I cleaned up the driver's side pan and put down a small carpet.  It made the under dash experience much easier.  I was wishing that I had a small cushion for my head, though.  It's sore to the touch, and I think that I may have bruised it.  When I first started cleaning out the jeep, I saved everything except the beer can and rat nest material.  There were these two odd pieces.  I figured out what they were while reading other threads.  They are the two spring clips that hold down the back legs of the rear seat.  I have been soaking them in PB blaster, and three out of the four springs actually work.  I hope that I can use them, as the replacements are quite expensive.  

rear spring clips

designer carpet

clean dash

Pile of stuff

Teddie
CJ2A '47
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 11:00am
Keep at it! You're making great progress. And as others stated, although it needs a little love, that tub is a very solid start! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 2:35pm
Looks like we know what the original color was!

'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 5:35pm
Thanks for the encouragement!  I'll be back at it, today.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 3:32am
Yes, I think Michigan Yellow.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2019 at 5:54am
More progress on disassembly, today.  I was going to ask a question about a cable from the left lower tab on the bellhousing, but I found my answer.  Engine stay cable.  Here are a few pics of the latest.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2019 at 11:35am
Wow, you're not taking any prisoners Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2019 at 7:04pm
Right!  No prisoners.  A few nuts and bolts frustrated us yesterday, so we left them soaking in PB Blaster.  Maybe it will help.  Some of the cotter pins on the shocks were in upside down which made them a bit difficult.  The nail instead of cotter pin was not too difficult to remove.  I know there is at least one more of those in the front.  There will likely be a surprise most every day.  Some might even be good ones.  LOL
Teddie
CJ2A '47
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 2:37am
My "surprise" was the shock absorber with the washer without a pin... bubba had just put the washer on and then gone after the shaft with a hammer to peen the end over and hold the washer on
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 3:54am
I see that you have the 1" bumpstop spacers on the rear.  Were there any spacers on the front? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 1:09am
First, a response to Ol'Unreliable:  I looked at the bump stops on the front, today, and there is no spacer.  In fact, the one on the driver's side is almost flat.  
The two stubborn nuts that refused to budge came off, today.  Hubby bought a $24 breaker bar, then added a pipe on the end.  Success.  That let the rear differential and leaf springs come off.  Then, he worked on shackles.  They were tough!!  Out of the eight, only one broke off.  I will likely replace all of them, anyway.  I worked on removing a few more things.  First, the final engine mount (center rear).  I also removed all the spark wires and plugs, so we could do another compression test.  #4 was only 75 when we did the initial check.  The other three were 110.  I was very pleased, today, to see that all four are now 125/130.  We forgot that a gas line was still attached, and with the first compression test, it pumped gas a few feet across the shop.  It missed both of us!  I put a rag over it, and that worked, as I think most of the gas got shot out the first time.  There was also  about a half cup of oil in the drain pan.  It was dripping out of the oil pump tube.  I got the plugs back in finger tight for now.  I labeled all the spark wires, too.  Of course, I did it backwards by labeling the back one as #1.  Confused So, I had to fix that.
All in all, I would say that we made more progress this afternoon.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>