Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repro side step installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repro side step installation
    Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 10:07pm
Has anyone successfully installed a set of reproduction sidesteps? I bought a set from someone to put on my 2A, but the dimensions don't seem to match dimensions in the the original CJ2A step drawings. I know the rear leg needs to be cut and angled. But what else? I only want to install one on the passenger side for my wife. I'm open to advice :-)

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 10:40pm
Check the dimensions against Sean's post:

These drawings literally give all dimensions so if you have something different, you'll know which part needs adjusting.

Here's one modification install (scroll down past NOS install):

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 11:06pm
Thanks Rus. I had printed out the drawings, that's what I compared to. The other link has what I need to know.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 1:44am
I made some good progress tonight. Fortunately my jeep has the mounting holes. The front and frame holes are good. The rear holes are a different story. A bit of rot back there. Of course the main problem is the rear bracket. Following the guidance in the link above, I cut and reshaped the bracket. Tomorrow I'll weld it up solid and do some test fitting. I also need to reinforce the toolbox floor to take the weight of someone on the step.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 3:44am
I'm confused... I thought the angled/slanted hanger was in the front?  I think the steps with two straight wide hangers were cj5 and beyond, and the earlier flatties had the slanted hanger to the front to follow the tub "in" towards the cowl

Edited by mbullism - 08 Aug. 2019 at 3:48am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 5:16am
Here are the installation drawings. Sean's diagram shows the angled bracket in the back as it should be with the single bolt at the top and another through the side of the tub. The front bracket has two holes at the top through the floor board. Tim

Edited by timcj2a - 08 Aug. 2019 at 5:19am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 10:02am
Thanks for the drawing. That rear bracket is pretty much what I'm trying to duplicate except the top tab with hole. As per the guidance, I flipped the tab over to somewhat compensate for the shorter than original step.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by timcj2a timcj2a wrote:

Here are the installation drawings. Sean's diagram shows the angled bracket in the back as it should be with the single bolt at the top and another through the side of the tub. The front bracket has two holes at the top through the floor board. Tim

Mea culpa,Thanks Tim Embarrassed ... a mind is a terrible thing to age LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 4:45pm
You might want to consider that there was also a special bolt used in the floor for the rear bracket. It was a weld bolt on a trapezoid shaped plate held in place with a push nut and made it possible to install or remove the step without removing the gas tank. The trapezoid shaped plate will bind against the inside of the jeep body preventing it from turning. One was used inside the tool box also. The are easy to make if you have a welder.
   I tried to post a pic but to no avail.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 5:16pm
I'm only putting a step on the passenger side for my wife.  The remains of some kind of special bolt was in the passenger side hole, but it was trashed.  I'm putting a piece of angle iron in the toolbox and running a new bolt through it and the floor.   If found the side bolt hole filled with bondo and knocked it out.  Now I need to work on getting the modified bracket holes to line up with these.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 7:25pm
Those bolts through the floor are called stud plate assemblies.  Also there should be a spacer on the side mount bolt also:

(I used a weld stud and attached them to a piece of sheet metal measured to match as close as possible)

Somebody here on the 2A forum posted a real good image but all I caught was the name, Trenton.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 12:15am
The job is done, step mounted and rock solid - the Mrs. is happy.

In addition to cutting the rear bracket at an angle and flipping the top tab over, I needed to weld on an extended tab on the side so the side bolt hole would line up with the original hole in the body (after I knocked the bondo out of it. I still need to touch up the blue paint).  The step itself is about an inch shorter than the original, so getting everything to line up is a challenge.  But a couple hours of cutting, welding, cussing, grinding and drilling has allowed me to Bubba it all together.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 11:42am
Looks nice!
Rick Estes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 2:23pm
The shorter legs hopefully means less chance of damage!  I have a set of Mitsubishi steps that will get the same modification and will also be shorter than stock.

Well done!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply