Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Hole in My 47 CJ2A Dash?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Dub-Ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Hole in My 47 CJ2A Dash?
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 5:49am
I am fixing up a 1947 CJ2A that has an unusual hole in the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Based on how well the edges of the opening were finished, I think it must have been installed at the factory. It also has a shape that would have been difficult to make so precisely by hand.

A previous owner had riveted a round piece of sheet metal over the opening about 1 paint job ago.

Any ideas what this hole was for?

Thx!

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 6:54am
Someone mounted an in dash speaker or set of speakers. I did it to my '47 (before I knew any better) back in the early 80's. I had a small pair of Pioneer speakers that I cut in the dash..

Yours wouldn't happen to have a 2000cc Pinto motor in it?
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Paul Dub-Ya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Dub-Ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 4:24am
Nope, no Pinto engine.
The hole in the dash is strange to me because it is so well finished. The holes I have seen cut for speakers are usually pretty rough. This one almost seems like it was stamped out.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 4:44am
Though it is not the typical hack job we all often find, it is not a factory cut hole.  There is no factory accessory for a cut out like this.  

Aside from that, the hole is not perfectly round.  You can see a variance at about 12 o'clock...and again at 4 o'clock.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 1:46pm
I can assure you if I cut a hole like that in my dash for some reason it would look like a factory hole no reason someone else couldn't. My dad was a sheet metal worker he could have cut any hole shape you wanted in a panel and it would have looked factory. Not every bubba is unskilled.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I can assure you if I cut a hole like that in my dash for some reason it would look like a factory hole no reason someone else couldn't. My dad was a sheet metal worker he could have cut any hole shape you wanted in a panel and it would have looked factory. Not every bubba is unskilled.

I also can tell you that this is true. All of the sheet metal folks I know could do this hole so that it looks "factory", & I know quite a few sheet metal folks from working in the aviation industry.

BTW, I also vote for it being a speaker hole.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2019 at 7:40pm
Probably a speaker hole. I have hole saws, and other circle cutting tools which would work fine to cut a perfectly round hole of just about any size. 

Might also have been for routing a duct from the heater to some sort of a defroster vent for the driver side windshield, but I doubt that, it is not the way I would do that were I to want to. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 4:11am
  Big smile  I know what it is, and it's not a speaker. My CJ3B had one similar, and it too looked very clean and "factory", but as Mark said, and some of you young folks might not believe it, there used to be a thing among workers of the past that was called, "craftsmanship". Many people wanted to be proud of their work, and have it noticed. Now you call it a "sickness", or a "disorder". And yes, there were ways in other places besides the factory to cut a really round, clean, hole. 
  Anyway, I'm not going to tell you what goes in that hole. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of mine and show you. In the meantime, keep guessing!    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Dub-Ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 4:18am
Bruce - I am at the edge of my seat.  I have been scouring the web trying to figure out what that opening was for. Thx.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 6:18am
defroster?  ya it is a long shotLOL
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 11:32am
Well now, it may be for an altimeter, or an attitude indicator, says this aircraft mechanic.
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 6:40pm
Battery master switch for twin battery installation?
47 CJ2A
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 7:01pm
Thought I was looking at the firewall....edit

Edited by 48cj2a - 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:44am
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 1:04am
 Here it is: I was afraid someone would identify it before I got back, but I guess even Cpt. Logger hasn't seen one in a jeep before.
   I had a devil of a time myself trying to figure out what would go in that hole, until I went to look at a 3B a guy had for sale, and he had a CJ5 that he tried to throw in. The 5 had an altimeter in it, and I was tempted to make the deal, but he wanted too much for the pair. I bought an altimeter off of ebay, and that was difficult because a good certified altimeter is worth quite a bit, but I found one that the seller said, "Appears to work, reads right at my altitude, but is not certified and is sold as a core or parts". It works great.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 4:31am
Well, there you go. Looks like a fit to me. 
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Dub-Ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 5:20am
Bruce - Thanks a bunch for posting that photo! Who would have thought to put an altimeter in a Jeep!
An altimeter will look allot cooler than a sheet metal patch anyway. Good conversation piece too!

Thanks again,

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:30am
Bruce, You are correct, I have never seen one in a jeep before.

Yet, I was able to recognize the hole's shape after you put the challenge out.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 2:01pm
Dad carried an Altimeter from a H-19 Helocopter on all are adventures as kids. I have it and will be getting it readjusted possibly this winter. I will most likely mount it along with a compass aand 8 day aircraft clock I have in a overhead console I plan with my hard top.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>