Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohio Fall Colors - Oct 19th, 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohio Fall Colors - Oct 19th, 2019
    Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 2:14pm
Ohio Fall Colors – Oct 19th, 2019

A group of Ohio flat fenders are getting together on the Saturday of October 19th, 2019 to drive the unmaintained roads in the area between Tar Hollow State Forest and Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.  This is our third year and some of us are making this a spouse outing this year.

We currently have 3 to 5 flat fenders.  We will meet around 9:30 and ride for about 5 or 6 hours.

These are county roads that are not maintained.  Some are just creeks others are old wagon roads that run property lines up into the hills. 

Vehicles attending must be licensed and insured because these are state roads.  Valid driver’s license for all those who will be driving.  Liability resides with the driver on these roads.

The plan is to meet at old maintenance facility on Clark Hollow Rd (which is also known as Town Hwy 2) around 9:30am.    Get unloaded and be rolling by 10:00.  The old maintenance facility is about .5 miles up Clark Hollow Rd on the left side (South East).  If you go under the high tension power lines on Clark Hollow Rd you have gone too far.

I would suggest anyone attending to look at Google Maps link to find the intersection of SR 327 and Clark Hollow Rd. on the South East side of Tar Hollow State Park (Laurelville, Ohio 43135).   

Cell phone service is almost nonexistent, and the maintenance facility does not have a known address.   The closest address that I can find online for Pike Run Cemetery / Church is (take SR327 north of SR671 to south of main entrance of Tar Hollow State Park. Cemetery is on west side of SR327. There is an older cemetery across the road on the east side of 327.) which is north for Clark Hollow.  The intersection of SR327 and Clark Hollow Rd is less than half a mile South of the Pike Run Cemetery / Church.

Bring a trail lunch and a tow strap.  Hopefully, we will have great weather, but I have found that good Jeeping can be had in all weather if we are prepared and the drivers are up for the challenge.

Should be a blast - no cell phones service, no address for the meeting facility, unmaintained roads, old Jeeps and fall colors!

Take a look at Google maps and let me know if you cant find the meeting place. Here is a link showing the meeting spot.  We will be driving the road East / Northeast of the meeting place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tar+Hollow+State+Park/@39.3496851,-82.733249,293m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x9a7f8de5f4884d7f!8m2!3d39.380144!4d-82.7424764

Link to last years outing with some pictures:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/ohio-fall-colors-oct-20th_topic43369_page2.html

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:20am
I'm in. Got a place to stay and even my darling wife has agreed to come along.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 9:36pm
Photos from last years on a few of Ohio's unmaintained roads.  Note the Fall colors!

Edited by Stev - 21 Aug. 2019 at 9:38pm
Stev
Ruffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2019 at 8:01pm
Stev, 

As of right now there will be at least 3 of us (three separate flattys) coming down. If i get my other 2a’s running a couple others from my group may join to try out the flatty experience.
Current Jeep Fleet
A few 2a’s
A couple of 3B’s
Couple of FC’s
And a DJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2019 at 8:40pm
Ruffy,

Great, so the unofficial count so far:
Ed's 3b
Steve's 2A
Bob Evens 3A
Ruffy crew with 3 flattys or more
My 2A

Waddle or Mike??  Greg??
Others?

We might have a nice group of Flat Fenders!

Can't Wait!

Stev
Stev
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Ruffy,

Great, so the unofficial count so far:
Ed's 3b
Steve's 2A
Bob Evens 3A
My 2A

Waddle or Mike??  Greg??
Others?

We might have a nice group of Flat Fenders!

Can't Wait!

Stev

Waddle and I plan to be there with Jeeps......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 7:36pm
That looks challenging.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 9:19pm
For anyone interested, Waddle and I will be camping at Tar Hollow Friday night and Saturday night, the campsite is about 2 1/2 miles from the trail head.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2019 at 3:36pm
lowenuf,

That is awesome.  We will look forward to seeing you and John.  Assuming you might be bringing a 1945..

Ed is out as of right now - family stuff.  

So we are probably 8+ at this point.

Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2019 at 3:12pm
Update - Checked the Ohio Fall Color Map and they are predicting a Partial color change by October 19.  It has been really dry here - so we can also expect some heat stress color also.  They are not predicting any rain so it might not be slippery this year.

Lodging: We have people in cabins in Hocking Hills, People camping at Tar Hollow and people ruffing it at the Hampton Inn (wife level camping).

Ed is back in at 90% so we are at 8 or 9 flat fenders so far.

Others are welcome.  This is a wife trip on unmaintained Ohio roads.  This has been a pretty good outing for stock vehicles - last year Steve drove his 1946 with open differentials and stock  transmission and transfer case and had on real issues.  

Can't wait to get out again.

Stev
Stev
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2019 at 2:57am
Well guys I thought I might try to make this trip after Cheep Jeeps ride in Ky but wasn't sure of the time factor. Turns out I have a trip my wife planned to Branson Ms. I evidently overlooked. I will look for next year if this event comes back around. Sure looks like a good time!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2019 at 3:19am
Black Sheep,

We will be at it again next year.  Look forward to seeing you then!

Stev
Stev
19willys51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19willys51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 8:20pm
I am planing on being there Saturday. should be a good time.
Robert
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 9:52pm
Robert we look forward to seeing you there!

The count is 9 or 10 flat fenders - so far.
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2019 at 2:22am
Got some tools and recovery gear loaded into the Jeep. Does anyone know if there is trailer parking at the maintenance facility where we will be meeting?
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2019 at 3:13am
Bob, the maintenance area has a big "U" Shaped driveway.  We have parked along both sides in the past.  There is a fair amount of room.

At this point, I think we are 8 old flat fender Jeeps.  Weather looks good - no rain, leaves are mid color

I am very interested in seeing how our Tara Low gear boxes do in the dry conditions (yes, I am sure there will be muddy spots).

Stev
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2019 at 2:30pm
Ok, we are live for the Ohio Fall Colors Run tomorrow morning.  Last minute vehicle checks, Bring a lunch, Camera and other items-   Try to be there by 0930. We will have drivers meeting and would like to be rolling by 10:00.

Weather looks great - Mid 55's, No Rain.
Leaves - should be mid colors
Road conditions - god only knows - I expect the Razor guys will have chewed up the big hill on Albright Road past the ford.  So, we will want the tops down for that first hill.  Also, I expect that the clear cut area roads will be holding water like last year and will be a substantial challenge.  The big hill that should be call Winch Road maybe unpassable - we should be able drive around it if needed.  We will try to have lunch near the old Macedonia Church.  Hope to be back before dusk.

Here is the count as we know it for now:
Steve's Cj2A
Bob Evens Cj3A
My Cj2A
Waddle CJ3A 
Mike - CJ2
Robert - CJ3A

Jeep Softly, Go Prepared, Lend a hand and Safety is everyone's first priority.

See you at the Maintenance Area on Clarks Hollow around 0930.

See the top of this thread for instructions and directions.

Edited by Stev - 18 Oct. 2019 at 2:54pm
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 3:41am
Thanks to all who came.  Wonderful Trip.  Great weather.  Jeeps ran well.  Hope everyone made it home safely.

Here are a few pictures.  Will post more 

Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>