Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MD Juan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 2:41pm
My MD Juan tub is a reproduction of a MB tub, so there are differences. The spare mounts on the back instead of the side and the correct reinforcement is there for that. The parking brake bracket was not installed, just the hole in the dash and holes for the bracket, but that is easy to come by and install.

Don't know about the CJ tub they make, but if it is the CJ3A configuration that is an improvement I would be happy about as it provides more room between belly and steering wheel. The main difference between a CJ2A and CJ3A tub is the wheel houses are shorter in the 3A allowing the seat to be about 3" further back.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 2:44pm
Dave gives good advice. I would add, the only real good way to do it is build your Jeep twice....at least.

Don't worry about paint, spot welds ,etc the first time. That's for fitting of the kit.

Go 'all the way' with it....that is, put it together to drive and operate. That way you know what brackets need to be added.

When that is done then blow it all apart and do paint. It's alot of work but the end result will be less frustrating..

This thing of mine I think went together four times.   

The kits are alot better than they were but still aren't 'bolt on'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:30am
For an Indiana Jeep, I cannot recommend stainless steel hardware and anti-seize strongly enough, unless you're looking for original-look hardware.  Being able to easily remove nuts and bolts a few years down the line is soooooo much nicer than having to break and cut hardware because of rust.  I hate rust.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

For an Indiana Jeep, I cannot recommend stainless steel hardware and anti-seize strongly enough, unless you're looking for original-look hardware.  Being able to easily remove nuts and bolts a few years down the line is soooooo much nicer than having to break and cut hardware because of rust.  I hate rust.

I'm kind of a purist for resto...however, I'm not too far gone not to use stainless and anti seize...lol.  I also hate rust, and thinking about buying stock in PB Blaster.  

I actually am not planning on driving it in the winter...of course that's always subjetct to change after I'm finished and love it too much...lol.
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 9:09pm
Except for the last couple years and only on a couple specific stretches of Hwy and Portland Sts Oregon does not use Salt. We do use a liquid that helps stop ice. But for the most part even that is very limited. I'm still using a lot of stainless in my build.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 5:46am
Oh, in IN we still use salt and sand on the back roads, and use the calcium wet stuff and/or salt on the highways.  Yes, this is the rust belt...lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:43am
Yeah, you can't expect people to actually learn to drive in snow, can you?  Just because it used to be the thing people would do, apparently it's too hard for folks nowadays.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 7:28am

Yeah, you can't expect people to actually learn to drive in snow, can you?  Just because it used to be the thing people would do, apparently it's too hard for folks nowadays.

Not sure what you're getting at.  I drive a 97 TJ every day through whatever is thrown at me.  However, the snow isn't the issue here...it's the great equalizer...ice.  Snow is easy.  Ice will get anyone, even me.
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 2:56pm
Up here in Ontario the Dept. of Highways has been using brine on the roads for the past couple of years.  It gets into places salt never did and rots out vehicles faster than ever!
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:36pm
Well ice isn't a problem with spiked tires! 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Well ice isn't a problem with spiked tires! 

Until it is!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 5:06pm
Studded tires are limited here in Oregon as to what part of the year they are allowed.as they chew up the roads.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 5:09pm
Tell your snow driving experts come to Western Oregon when we have a couple inches of snow on our roads and you might be really surprised to find out how a thin layer of black ice under that snow changes things. I used to train school bus drivers how to handle our version of a little snow. As well as do the many school and charter ski trips the co I worked for did each winter.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 5:50pm
I think they are limited around here too, my JK just had mud tires year round and of course on ice they slide, and pack with snow. 
So I just drive slow
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 4:44am
Originally posted by JayBob JayBob wrote:

Not sure what you're getting at.  I drive a 97 TJ every day through whatever is thrown at me.  However, the snow isn't the issue here...it's the great equalizer...ice.  Snow is easy.  Ice will get anyone, even me.

My point is just that the powers that be don't expect people to learn to drive in snow (and ice!).  They will salt or otherwise treat the streets to suit the lowest common denominator, which is the moron who doesn't seem to realize that snow/ice makes the road slippery.  Lowest-common-denominator thinking on the part of governmental people is something that I really hate.  Dumb everything down to the lowest level and you end up with a whole lotta dumb people.  Am I wrong?

Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

...So I just drive slow.

You're obviously not the lowest common denominator.  Thank goodness.  Thumbs Up

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 21 Sep. 2019 at 4:47am
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 6:56am
When I was active duty Air Force in the late 80s in the High Desert of CA I always laughed when there was even a dusting of snow because we'd close the base and roads would close.

One day we had a couple inches of snow and they closed the base.  I got bored and had a friend go with me to a mall.  The hwy (395) was closed but I just drove around the sign for about 15 miles to the mall.  My friend from LA was nervous, but it wasn't my first time on snow.  I was glad other cars weren't on that road because then I'd have to worry, but being from IN I just took it easy and was the only tire tracks on that road.  No issues at all.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 6:59pm
Around  here we have wet roads that freeze and then get a layer of snow typically less then 4" the results are roads that even with studded tires most vehicles are unable to maintain enough traction to climb the hills every winter with snow it's common on the evening news to see some chained up city bus sliding a block or to down some minor hill cause they lost traction. Conditions vary around the country a foot of snow on level ground is nothing add a 4% hill with a layer of ice and your midwest skill set will be well challenged. That said Western Oregon has so many people from CA and Mexico that have never driven on ice hell some of them have a hard time with rain.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 7:19pm
Well thanks JayBob! At least when I do dumb things I normally preface it to the nearest person with "watch this" LOLLOL
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12