Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's 1949 CJ3A - 4.3L, SM465, Dana 18 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 5:35pm
I had to run to the dump today, so I decided to see what weight class I'm in.

Fighting weight is 2,720 lbs.  No driver, near empty tank, no spares or tools onboard.  
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 2:13pm
You know what's great about fuel injection?  Reliability.

I've been shaking the jeep down for the past few months and it starts every time, no issues.  It's a wonderful thing.

I've also been playing around on obstacles to test clearances.  On Saturday, I got a little overconfident.....

I dragged the rear diff over a rock and ended up folding the diff cover like a taco...

Thankfully it happened less than a mile from my house.  No big deal...I just unlocked the rear hubs (cool feature!) and drove home under front wheel drive.

I've ordered a heavy duty diff cover from Ruff Stuff Specialties.  In the meantime, I just repaired the original cover, RTV'd it, and filled the rear diff until the heavy duty one arrives.

Edited by Pope891 - 07 June 2021 at 2:14pm

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 1:54pm
I also ordered seat covers from BigWillyJeep.com.  These are the black ones.  Very nice indeed!  Worth every penny.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 1:51pm
A few updates. 

My fuel pump and filters are located behind the drive side fender.  This allows the bottom of the fuel pump to be located at the same level as the bottom of the fuel tank.  That way, I don't need to worry about sucking up air when I'm off camber or running low on gas.  It also keep the fuel pump and filters away from the heat of the manifold and exhaust pipe.  Initially, I tried locating the filter and pump inside the frame rail, but it was too close to the exhaust pipe for my comfort and would be difficult to maintain in the future.

This location might not be great for fording rivers, but it works for now.  Maybe I'll do an in-tank pump someday.  

With this current configuration I was concerned that if I drove through a deep mud bog, I would lodge mud in this location and damage the pump, so I decided to create a protective panel.

I still have a bit of trimming and painting to do, but you get the idea.  It will be strong enough to protect from flying rocks, mud and the occasional bump on an obstacle.  The fuel pump is still about 20" off the ground.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 5:41pm
Yeah, between a really slow crawl ratio and power steering, you are allowed time to think and adjust in complicated scenarios rather than bounce off stuff and risk breaking things.  Fun stuff.

One finger steering is the best!

My Build
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Looks great!  With the V6 power an overdrive would be the cat's pajamas on the road.   Having fun is what it's all about!

-Barry

Yeah!! And power steering to boot! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:54pm
Thanks Barry.  It's been a blast so far.  

My Build
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:47pm
Looks great!  With the V6 power an overdrive would be the cat's pajamas on the road.   Having fun is what it's all about!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 2:06pm
For the last month, I've been driving the heck out of this jeep.  It's very reliable, no major leaks, temps are running between 180-215F.  Oil is clean.  I still have bunch of little stuff to do, but those are things I can chip away at over time.

Over the weekend, I got high centered over a log in my backyard in about 12" of greasy mud.  

The 87:1 gear ratio is incredible.  With the engine is barely idling, it will climb over anything.  Having fuel injection is great too.  The clutch is buttery smooth and the brakes stop on a dime.  I will say, the SM465 and 5:38 axle ratio isn't ideal on the road.  I might as well be driving a logging truck with these ratios.  I don't have a speedo yet, but while driving at 45ish mph the engine is racing pretty well.  An overdrive might be in my future.

Like I said, there are lots of little "tweaks" that need attention.  For now, I'm just having fun.

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2021 at 2:15pm
For those of you trying to create a fuel return for fuel injection on a stock CJ tank, this is an option.  Classic Performance makes a universal fuel return bung with an AN fitting for blind side installations.  Please ignore the sheet metal screws and sealant....that was my bubba attempt at making my own fuel return Ouch

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 12:38am
Thanks for reading Barry.  It's been fun trip.

My Build
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 10:29pm
Just finished reading your entire thread.  Great job!  I especially enjoyed your first drive video.  Looking forward to more.  Thanks for sharing!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 2:03pm
If you have read this entire thread you would have noticed the firewall was already notched from a previous owner.  This allowed me to squeeze the distributor just inside the cowl.  

Well, my original plan of using the mechanical fan and custom made shroud wasn't going to work.  I've decided on using a two speed Ford Taurus fan and a Volvo fan relay.  There are other places on the web to learn about this.  This particular fan is supposed to be high volume.  

I sure am glad that I jammed the engine far enough back because this fan is a tight fit!  

Second on the list is the rear seat.  When I bought this jeep, it came with this frame.  From my research, I think it's from a Scout that has been narrowed to fit a flatfender.  Pretty neat.  It appears to be comfortable enough and has a little under-seat storage capacity.

I'm still fiddling with wiring under the dash.  I really want to take my time with electrical stuff because I wasn't particularly proud of my wiring on my last project.  

Next, fuel return line will be refined.  My homemade bung was a leaky nightmare.

Edited by Pope891 - 30 Mar. 2021 at 2:17pm

My Build
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 7:57pm
Sweet!
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 7:06pm
Yeah, it was only the 3rd time I've ever driven it.  Refining as I go.

My Build
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:04am
Good to see it going, the shifters are part of the learning curve. People ask about the 5 shift levers in my Jeep. I used to return trucks to their yards, okey dokey, 2 shifters, 20 speeds foreward. Interesting shift patterens.
The 1953 Mack was my favorite.
john
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 12:42am
For your viewing pleasure.  87:1 baby!

My Build
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 2:00pm
After some fiddling yesterday, I finally drove the Jeep under its own power.  The clutch is buttery smooth, which is great news.  The brakes need some more tuning/bleeding but it stops ok.  The brake rotors still have some rust on them.  I need to tuck away wiring, finalize the battery tray, bolt down the body for good and then it will be ready for a legitimate shake down run.

I also tried four-low at 87:1....oh boy!  Low gearing is SO cool.

My Build
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>