Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's 1949 CJ3A - 4.3L, SM465, Dana 18 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2020 at 1:56pm
After moving the engine and body ON/OFF the frame about eight times over the past few months.....this was the very last test fit.

I tried my very best to avoid cutting the tub any more than was absolutely necessary.  That said, the only way the Dana 18 xfer case would fit in an appropriate location was to make a small notch in the toolbox.  This will be easy enough to patch.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2020 at 4:11pm
Hey Pope! What's your thoughts on sandblasting? If you were considering some type of mobile company, I would be interested in contributing to the cost.... I have a bunch of stuff that could be cleaned up Smile
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2020 at 6:09pm
You betcha.  I have a few ideas and will keep you posted.  Sandblasting to occur soon.  Good thinking!
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:40pm
Quarantine has it's benefits.

Yesterday I sandblasted the frame and body in the backyard.  For those who are interested, I used a 185CFM compressor with a 100lb pressure pot and fine recycled glass as the abrasive.  Let me tell you, my neighbors were thrilled to hear the whine of that compressor all day during quarantine!

Priming the frame today.

The frame will receive a three coat system; mio zinc, epoxy then polyurethane.
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:46pm
I also picked up these tires for STEAL from a motorcycle dealership that couldn't move the inventory.  I plan on restoring my 15x8" Jackman wheels and putting these on them.  Believe it or not, my 15x8" Jackman's fit over the Chevy disc brake conversion.  I'm willing to bet that setup is very unique.

The tires are for UTV's, 32/10/15

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 12:54am
Well, it's official.  They are authentic Jackman wheels.  The blasting job was poor because I was running out of abrasive.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 3:43am
Those tires are awesomeClap
Great pic of the J logo. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 1:49pm
Look'n really Good! Thumbs Up It's nice to have an escape, I'm sure it feels good to get out into that garage Wink Hope you and your family are doing well, I know my kids are so bored - Today is day 20 home Confused
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2020 at 1:45pm
2nd coat on the frame.  Topcoat will be a black aliphatic polyurethane.

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2020 at 2:01pm
This is the worst wheel.  The edge is badly corroded.  I plan on welding the bead to repair this sharp edge and then use an epoxy to repair the pitting.  Hopefully this thing will balance when I get it mounted!

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 3:29pm
Here is the wheel after a bit of welding and shaping, then priming with mio-zinc primer.  This was a fun job.

I figured a surfacing epoxy (not Bondo) would be best for the pitting (the white stuff).

These 15"x8" wheels barely clear the Chevy disc brake conversion.  No spacers required.  It's almost like it was destiny.

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 3:41pm
Almost ready to paint the wheels and get them mounted with the new KM3's.

Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:06pm
Final coat of polyurethane on the frame and the tires are mounted.  It's starting to look less like a pile of rusty parts!

I think these tires are a great fit.  Aggressive tread and still pretty narrow.  I put a zinc primer on the wheels, then epoxy intermediate coat, then 4 coats of Rustoleum Antique Brass paint.  I'm in the industrial coatings business, so corrosion is my main concern.  The Rustoleum topcoat is cheap and won't have any longevity, but it looks cool and is easily recoated for aesthetics.  

Next up: body work and paint.
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 1:41pm
Time to vent...

My engine is a 2002 4.3l Chevy.  After realizing I need to invest in a 60psi fuel pump, new wiring harness and new fuel injection system of questionable reliability, I figured I would convert the 4.3 to a TBI system....

A local guy sold me some left over parts for a reasonable price and I thought I was home free.  He was genuinely helpful.

Word to the wise....you can't take an older intake manifold from an early 4.3 TBI and put it on a newer 4.3 1996+ block/heads.  They don't fit together.  

So now I'm back to square one.   Do I spend big bucks on fuel injection or remove the engine, flywheel, throwout bearing and start over with more (and expensive parts).  So frustrating.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 2:07pm
Hey David! I'm just throwing this out there...My father-in law recently passed away and he has a 96 or something (would have to verify) S10 2WD pickup we might be looking to get rid of... It has not run in 10 years but may be good for parts, I don't know? We would let it go cheap (practically free)... It is in good condition, its not a POS or anything.. It has been parked in the street of a private lake community and they are starting to complain because it's not registered. I would have to talk with the family, but if you think this may be beneficial to the build, let me know Wink
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 2:24pm
Thanks for the message!  Let me think on this for a bit.  Not sure how to proceed yet.
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 8:05pm
After further research, it appears I can use the Edelbrock marine intake 2519 with the TransDapt 2202 adapter to make a TBI work.  I will sleep on it.

Vortec heads require a different intake.  Slowly learning...
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 3:05am
Pope, your post got me curious. Do you have the original harness? Is the existing fuel injection system bad?
Fuzz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>