Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------- 1947 CJ2A "Rat patrol" ----------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 3:50am

Engine pull went very smoothly, no drama. Easiest one ever!

There's that sweet hole that bubba cut in the firewall.

& the broken ear on the bellhousing. Should I use it as is with 7 bolts, or ???

Next up is get it on the engine stand & pull the pan to see what she looks like inside & probably pull the timing cover to check the fiber cam gear.  I suppose I should pull the pistons to check for bore taper & or broken rings - it will never be easier than now.
 Think I am going to replace the distributor with one of the new replacement units. Bushings in mine are toast, & I'm sure the advance has seen better days, plus the locating notch for the cap is broken. 
 Hope I can get it out of there it's pretty much locked in place. Been soaking with PB blaster for a few months.  Any opinions on the replacement distributors - good / bad.  I don't want to spend a ton of cash on getting mine rebuilt - it's probably no good for a core.

Good things -
  Clutch looked good enough to re-use if I decide to (probably not though)
  Rear main does not appear to be leaking much if any
  Do not see any cracks in the block in the normal problem areas (we will see!)

Bad -
  Broken ear on bellhousing
  Expansion plugs weeping a bit
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:34am
Survey says . . . (Hole in the firewall)

Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Jeepinjase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepinjase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:43pm
Be careful with the new replacement distributors.  They are clocked 180 degrees out and both of the ones I got would not keep .020 gap from lobe to lobe.  It was very difficult to get the old girl running right on these distributors.  I ended up buying a used one and having Kurt at Willys Distributors rebuild it and now my 2a runs very well and I can get it to maintain the .020 gap at the points.
I won’t buy replacement distributors any more.
Kurt does take a while to get the rebuilt units back to you, but it is well worth the wait.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Jeepinjase Jeepinjase wrote:

Be careful with the new replacement distributors.  They are clocked 180 degrees out and both of the ones I got would not keep .020 gap from lobe to lobe.  It was very difficult to get the old girl running right on these distributors.  I ended up buying a used one and having Kurt at Willys Distributors rebuild it and now my 2a runs very well and I can get it to maintain the .020 gap at the points.
I won’t buy replacement distributors any more.
Kurt does take a while to get the rebuilt units back to you, but it is well worth the wait.

Hmm, thanks for the input.  I have the time, perhaps I will send mine into Kurt & see what he thinks about it.  -- Assuming that I can get it out in one piece...
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 3:27pm
Also bought a replacement distributor and was not impressed! After reworking about everything in it- ended up buying a used one and overhauled it and now I'm happy.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 7:10pm
Another issue I have is getting the damn flywheel off of the back of the crank.  Yes, I have all of the nuts off.
 Did some reading & everyone says just to tap it with a soft faced mallet or hammer & block of wood from the front side.  Been doing that to no avail.  Any secret that I might be missing?

8:30PM - Got the damn flywheel off.  A little propane torch heat then PB blaster on the two tapered bolts & a few whacks with a small sledge & a hardwood block did the trick.
 I did not realize that just four bolts hold the engine to the bellhousing.  I think it would be wise to see if I can find a replacement for the one I have with the broken left upper ear.

Edited by dasvis - 02 July 2020 at 4:46am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 1:02am
Mounted on engine stand & pulled the water pump - inside block looks very nice. Minimal corrosion.
 Distributor came out smoothly, decided to send it in to Willys distributors for a rebuild rather than potential hassle of a replacement unit. 

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:37am
Keep up the good work and you will be out on Patrol in no time.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 5:05am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

Keep up the good work and you will be out on Patrol in no time.

I think Hans Dietrich will be pretty safe for quite a while....

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 7:55pm

Tried in vain to free up the stuck #4 exhaust valve. Worked moving it up & down & spraying PB blaster on stem. No dice, had to pull it. Fought me all the way out... finally @ midnight I succeeded.

Inside looks nice, clean, & no issues apparent.

Found no surprises in the pan, just normal sludge, no chunks of anything found. Pickup screen looked good too.

f**ker.

Edited by dasvis - 05 July 2020 at 3:50pm
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 10:39pm
Liked your last picture. Been there, still doing that, three t-shirts later. We having fun yet?
Drove Snakeskin around town, embellished with flags. Got hollered at twice for going too fast. 2nd gear, Willys CJ2a, Mid rpms. 25 mph. Some people hear the roar of 72 hp (I'm rocking a F134, woo hoo!) and the whine of the tranny and think a muscle car is coming I guess. They need to get a grip!
Others high five to see a vintage rig on Independence Day. Good for them!!!!
Be safe out there gang!
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 4:46am
Engine stripped to the bone. Taking it to the machine shop tomorrow to get the block hot tanked & checked for cracks.
 Main bearings look perfect, rods show some wear but usable (010/010), cam, lifters, & timing gears decent, all of the guides are sloppy & a couple of the valve seats have seen better days. Looks like I would be wise to replace all of the valves - new guides, exhaust seats, & springs. The margins on the valves that are in it are pretty thin. Pistons came out pretty easily, I was worried about the minimal ridge at the top of the cylinder but it was not an issue. Three of the four pistons have way too much wear in the top ring groove.
 Looks like this engine was re-sleeved last rebuild. That explains the standard bore. With the excessive top ring groove wear I'm thinking they re-used the original pistons. The cylinder walls don't look too bad, I'm hoping that there's not too much taper & a hone will clean them up so I can stay @ std bore with new pistons & rings. Leaning towards good old fast seating cast rings... not expecting to put a lot of miles on this thing. 
  Wondering about the oil pump. The little I did run it it had good oil pressure, but upon external inspection the notch for the distributor drive shows more wear than I like. I think I will get a photo & post for opinions. Maybe a mistake, but I am trying to keep this build low budget & reuse as much of it as I can get away with. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 4:28pm
Enjoying this thread!

Rat Patrol, when that was on prime time TV me and my cousin Lee would suit up in our WW2 helmets and gear to watch the show, sounds corny as hell now, but we were just kids having fun.

Too bad you live thousands of miles away from me. I have an extra bell housing I would give you, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding one closer by.

I too bought one of the replacement distributors once, made in China. I was unhappy soon as I took a good look at it. I just put it back in the box and never installed it in anything. 

The 47 CJ2A I recently aquired already had a pointless electronic distributor in it. I had never used one of those, but after I set the timing on that engine it purrs like a kitten, so I guess they work okay. For the other project Jeep I have I will be rebuilding an original distributor. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 07 July 2020 at 4:30pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I too bought one of the replacement distributors once, made in China. I was unhappy soon as I took a good look at it. I just put it back in the box and never installed it in anything. 

The 47 CJ2A I recently aquired already had a pointless electronic distributor in it. I had never used one of those, but after I set the timing on that engine it purrs like a kitten, so I guess they work okay. For the other project Jeep I have I will be rebuilding an original distributor. 

-- Just sent my distributor off for rebuilding today. I appreciate of the feedback on the questionable quality repro units. Have used the Pertronix set ups before & they are fantastic, but I am sticking with points for now.

Also, I found an new military surplus 134L gear drive type oil pump on Ebay, it was about half the cost of a new Melling pump, so I bought it  - looks like it still has cosmoline on it.  No doubt will have to take it all apart & clean the preservative off & out of it but I won't have to worry about a worn out pump.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 5:28am

While cleaning gobs of grease & dirt off of the tin last night I came across this... looks like a PO welded an oil slinger to the back of the crank pulley. Which is all fine & dandy, but there was no to little clearance once bolted on.

It scored up the cover pretty badly. They spaced the pulley out a little bit with what looks like a transmission snap ring. I think I can use the cover, assuming I can get the old seal out & a new one in, but I'm going to have to replace the pulley for sure.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 5:27am

Received Ebay US military surplus oil pump - looks great!  But shaft would not turn, no doubt due to old cosmoline gumming things up.

Squirted tri-flow in every orifice of pump & let it set for a while. Still no dice turning.
 Unbolted bottom plate & it turned freely. Cleaned cosmoline where it could, replaced cover & it turns easily.

Took relief spring out, but piston appears to be stuck in bore. Soaking with penetrating oil & will get a rare earth magnet to see if I can get it to come out. Perhaps compressed air?
  I need to make sure that this moves freely in the bore so it can do it's job.

Edited by dasvis - 10 July 2020 at 5:29am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 5:31pm

Success!  Took a while, but finally got the relief valve piston unstuck. Put the pump in my ultrasonic cleaner filled with mineral spirits & cranked it up to 130f - outside of course.  Let her rip for 20 min & let it cool down overnight. Went out this morning & puzzled over how to somehow twist that piston in the bore to break the cosmoline seal. Found a brand new sharp chisel that just fit into the spring seat cup & it got just enough purchase to do the job. 
 Polished the piston with a brass brush in my dremel & cleaned the bore out with a brush. Drops in & comes out smoothy now.  Sure glad I checked that before I installed it!

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 2:59pm
Shop has the block out of the hot tank & gave it a visual check for cracks.  Nothing obvious showed up. 
They should mag it this week & check the bore. 
 In the mean time I have been cleaning, inspecting, and painting the tin & misc small parts. 
  The timing cover had two pan bolt holes that were messed up so I decided to replace it rather than try to repair them. Found a decent looking cover on eBay cheap.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>