Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone here restored a license plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone here restored a license plate
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 6:20pm
Watched some videos etc.. tried a few ways and failed.. next option is a getting a silk screen and thick white silk screen paint .. anyone know anyone that does this or suggestions on how you would paint white lettering
46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 6:59pm
I used to do this a lot in earlier years and do still collect old plates. I never could do the lettering my hand but I did have success using a roller and rolling across the surface. I think that’s how they did it originally in the the license plate factory aka prison.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:08pm
maybe I will have to rob a bank and then get a free class in license plate painting...LOL

Thank you... I will try a hard roller next.. Thanks for the idea!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:12pm
I’ve not done it, but i recall  seeing it done by painting the letter color first in krylon, laid flat and put on whole plate heavy.  Let dry at least 24 hours.  Paint background color over it to cover in rustoleum, and after flash drying use a rag over the tip of yor finger with mineral spirits to wipe background color off letter and reveal undercolor...

Ymmv

ETA: if you clearcoat after, make sure its rustoleum, krylon over rustoleum wrinkles

Edited by mbullism - 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:14pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:27pm
And Rustoleum over Rustoleum wrinkles if you don't follow the directions on drying time.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

And Rustoleum over Rustoleum wrinkles if you don't follow the directions on drying time.

Word LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 7:44pm
Learn something new here everyday! I just found a bunch of 1940's NY plates in my father-in-laws basement. They were placed under the oil tank, almost as a drip pan I guess. My favorite on is from 1939 and says New York Worlds Fair. They are mostly yellow with black letters, but a 1942 one is black with yellow letters? I will have to post a pic Smile

Edited by ggordon49 - 19 Sep. 2019 at 11:14pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Fallguy173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:36am
Nice plate Rod. Where did you find it? I need a plate like that. I'm still not sure if I'd register it also, or just run the Historic plates..
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:45am
From here https://www.shoplicenseplates.com/united-states-license-plates

Checked a lot of antique shops too
Our state if you have an antique vehicle and a plate that matches the year you only pay once and don’t have register or pay fees 

Edited by Rod - 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:50am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:51am
Was there something wrong with your original plate?  It looked good to me, but I'm kinda easy.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 4:00am
Yah paint job had rust under it white letter paint was uneven and plate had extra holes and lots of dents
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Yah paint job had rust under it white letter paint was uneven and plate had extra holes and lots of dents

I did see the extra holes, but I didn't see any rust or dents.  Let's see it when you get the letters painted.  It's looking good so far.  Thumbs Up 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 11:44am
silk screening the numbers (about 15:00):

and the vid I recalled seeing, fwiw (about 10:15):

Edited by mbullism - 21 Sep. 2019 at 11:47am
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 12:53pm
Thanks for these.  I have never seen that 2nd method .  That looks like a pretty good way of doing it i like  those guys some great wisdom going on in that room!!! Really enjoyed watching them 
I looked into silkscreen  it but by the time I bought the screen tools and paint would be less to have someone do it . So I might try that second method first 
Thanks so much 
Will Let you know how it goes 

Edited by Rod - 21 Sep. 2019 at 1:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 1:07am
Just got mine today... Same quality as yours. Paint over rust, and a few dings. Easy fixes!

I got lucky with this one.

1946 - Year of my Jeep
13 - Lucky number
1889 - Year SD became a state
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 1:33am
Love those numbers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 2:52am
Thanks for the tip.
 Post Reply Post Reply