Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cast iron weld Strength

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast iron weld Strength
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 7:16am
   You guys have to see this YouTube video !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggrKXRPkyI

I must say I have not yet tried this method, but I am going to soon, for sure.
This video was quite impressive for using 7018 electrode with flux removed.
My 91 year old father was just telling me that 50-years ago, some of the best local welder's said they had their best luck welding cast iron with cast iron electrodes plain with no-flux.    kinda interesting what methods may work for the task at hand.

I was impressed with the way the guy bent the bar stock and the weld held.
Pretty convincing really, so i'm gonna try it next year, 2020, or before.

I have a cracked water jacket on a GPW engine block. I am old-school and grew up in an engine machine shop as a kid. I grew up with old-school mechanics, blacksmiths and welder / machinists. Just like them, I have established habits or techniques for working metal. My dad's father was a blacksmith in the '20's.   So, where I am going with this is: I would like to weld the GPW block with a narrow V-groove using Harris NI99 nickel electrode.

Now that I have been playing with this cast iron welding, I am now up for another challenge. From my experience, I just cannot be convinced that a 3-inch long horizontal crack running about 1-1/4" below the block deck will hold sufficiently with the torqueing of the head bolts if using Pinning.
UNLESS using the perpendicular Locks offered by LocknStitch in Turlock, Calif.

Here is a link to Pinning: (this is what I would consider if pinning)
http://www.locknstitch.com/cast-iron-repair-videos-tutorials.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKY--USk7Y
http://castingrepair.locknstitch.com/category/crack-repair-tools-supplieshttp://castingrepair.locknstitch.com/viewitems/l10-l15-5-locks/l15-5-locks

I do like their Locks that install perpendicular to the crack.
I could V-groove my own weld lock grooves perpendicular and fill with nickel.
Just today, I met an 86-year old engine machinist moving his shop. I will meet with him soon and pick his brain about his luck with pinning, before I do the nickel welding.   LocknStitch looks like a worthy product.
The L15 Lock which is .70" long may just be the ticket with 3 of these installed along the 3-1/2" long crack in the water jacket.
Norman Seppenfield pointed out to me after looking at this crack that he would pin it, but I didn't ask if he would use LocknStitch.
   I have watched old-school pins installed, but not LocknStitch.

After some experimentation using the 7018 electrode with flux removed, I just might want to consider it over the Harris nickel rod.
   ( haha, I had a full bucket of grain for breakfast ). _ _ just teasing. :)

Anyone wish to chime in with comments ?

Enjoy the links from LocknStitch !

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 6:51pm
Jay Leno has a few videos where the used the Locknstitch to fix blocks. They seem to like it. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 6:45pm
   I just cannot digest the concept of a single row of pins holding together a 3-1/2-inch long crack which is under Tension from the torque of head-studs pulling, without using the perpendicular Lock to prevent tensional failure.

So, with the same theory as the LocknStitch "Locks", I have determined that I can weld the 3-1/2-inch long crack in stitches of 3/4-inch increments using Harris NI-99 electrode, after first V-grooving the crack. Then when completed, I will mark-off 3 locations to grind a perpendicular groove to the crack just welded with the new groove breaching 5/8-inch each side of the first long repair. In essence, I will be creating my own "Lock" with a weld bead.

Simple-Simon right !!

The tensional strength of the perpendicular nickel rod weld bead may just equal or exceed that of the LocknStitch "L10" or L15" Lock.    Yep, by-cracky

Has anyone tried this method of home-made weld-Locks ?
 Post Reply Post Reply