Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cheesejeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 5:24pm
I wish I had a matched set of wheels. I have a hodge-podge of 15 inchers and only one looks like an original type. I'm quite surprised at the prices for new 16" steel wheels...yikes!
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

Very nice.  I'm digging that radiator too.  Wheels look good.  I have a set just like them on my Gladiator.  My wife says the white wheels makes the red on my neck stand out.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 1:25am
Thank you for the comment. My wife thinks they're hideous. I believe they are the original wheels and they look great after hours of removing several coats of paint. They were finished off with two coats of epoxy primer and several coats of single stage acrylic urethane.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
cheesejeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 5:52pm
Are those wheels the original type? They look great.
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 8:01pm
Thank you
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Look great.  What brand and size?

Firestone Town & Country. 6.50-16.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:53am
Awesome Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 1:39am
Look great.  What brand and size?
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 1:23am
We have wheels. Woo Hoo!

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 12:41am
OK, body on! Dropped on with little problem until I discovered a hit at the tranny tunnel. I had the option of jacking the body up with spacers under the body mounts, but I felt the stock driving position is already a bit awkward and raising the seat would make it more so. So I ended up doing some judicious grinding through the PTO hole. We are now good to go with some fun stuff. Is there any fun stuff on these things?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 11:50pm
Thanks guys, but I have to confess, my wife had a lot to do with "my decision" to go original. Happy wife, happy life.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 2:07am
Nice work!

I painted a car bright yellow once, it was very popular with bees. 😊
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 1:43am
ClapHaven't been on the page for awhile. But found your thread. Glad to see you are bringing her back to life again. Looks like a good job. I think you are Waaaaay Better off keeping it as a cj2a in that beautiful yellow color. I am more of a purest I guess and just feel a cj2a is just that a cj2a. Same with a military
if its an MB, GPW or M38 keep it that way. It is what it is. They are always worth more the more original they are and you see them as they were meant to be, it seems to have more integrity. Just my opinion now. Although I must confess I have butchered up more then my share of jeeps in the past "improving them"Confused Now I wish I hadn't.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Nice progress! I love the color you chose, I’ve always thought that Michigan yellow CJ’s were very handsome.

Thanks Tate, I actually had plans to paint it Olive Drab as a military tribute, even had the paint in hand. Then I saw a pic of the Michigan Yellow and all plans instantly changed. Actually, the paint color is Kirker Ultra-Glo Performance Yellow, but close enough, especially considering the cost difference with a custom mix.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 5:03am
Nice progress! I love the color you chose, I’ve always thought that Michigan yellow CJ’s were very handsome.

Edited by TateC - 21 Mar. 2020 at 5:05am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 1:14am
And now for the topside. I treated the bed and floor pans with Herculiner truck bed liner and painted over it. I just hated the idea of putting down a nice smooth finish and having it scuffed up by dirty boots and cargo. I did a couple test patches before committing to the final finish and it held up very well. I found the trick is to lay down the paint (12-18 hours) before the Herculiner is fully cured. This way there is a chemical bond versus a mechanical bond once the bed liner is cured.

Had just about enough sanding, filling and painting I need, so I'm just about ready to drop the body back on the chassis and do some mechanical stuff.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 2:50pm
Thanks John and good luck on your project. Take your time and have fun with it.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 2:32pm
Looking great, love the color. This thread has been a good inspiration for me. I hope to start my project this summer.

John 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>