Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 1:51pm
Finally got to lay down some paint, two coats of epoxy primer followed by single stage Acrylic Urethane. Yes, it is yellow vs. Olive Drab. If anyone has followed my other thread debating whether to go originality or military tribute, you'll recall I opted for the military tribute. Obviously, I changed my mind...got some splain'n to do.
Anyway, I'm anxious to flip her over to do the topside and finally get it back on the chassis.

I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 1:49am
Still working to clean everything up and ready for paint. I'm taking everything in the bed and cockpit down to bare metal. The PO layed down a HUGE layer of paint and filler, but his prep wasn't too great so everything came up fairly easily with a little help from a propane torch and sharp chisel. I'm still amazed at the condition of the metal. The bed has some pitting and a few areas over the cross braces that required new metal, but that's the worst of it. Oh yeah, I forgot about the floors that were completely gone. Oh well, they're done. Haven't touched the exterior yet, but preliminary inspections tells me the paint is solid, so I may just do a coat of filler, wet sand and paint. Crossing fingers.

Tool box took a beating coming out so I'll have to rebuild the mounting edges. Actually, a bit of relief after the tedium of paint removal.

Next, mudding the dings, dents and welds. Coming together.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 3:41pm
Floors and bracing...FINALLY! This turned out to be a much longer and tedious task than I had anticipated. For one, I opted to bend the floor panels into the trans tunnel vs. making hard corners. My mistake, the PO (Bubba) replaced the DS pan with bends so I assumed that was the "proper" way. Obviously, he had access to metal shaping tools and abilities than I. The PS floor was pretty much gone so I had no reason to believe the floors were installed with anything other than bends. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, after many hours of whacking, heating, cutting, patching, nudging and swearing I got the pans to look pretty decent. I still have a bit of oil canning, but not enough to notice when you step on the floor. I'm thinking I can correct a lot of it with a bit of heat and water.

The main issue with the bracing was simply locating the body mounts in the correct locations. I had one body mount (left rear) left on the body after removing all the bad stuff. I mapped the mount points on the frame and transferred those dimensions to the body using the one body mount I had left on the body as a reference point. Just as a bit of insurance, I'm going to open up the mount holes on the frame to 3/4". This will give me a little leeway in case the body distorted during all the pounding and welding it went through.

What's left on the underside of the body is just to clean everything up in preparation for paint. Thankfully, Bubba did a repaint with cheap paint and for the most part, I was able to remove it with a sharp chisel, the final cleanup with a flap disc and a good particle mask. The red you see is what I assume is the original factory paint and it's as solid as can be, a tribute to the paint technology and production of the time. It's going to stay and will get overcoated with epoxy primer, hopefully next week.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 12:09am
I did the initial bend around the pipe. That was the easy part, but now I have to curve the bend in two places to match the shape of the trans tunnels and the bends have to be in the exact places. So I think I'll go back to placing the metal into place and hammering the crap out of it using the tunnel as a template. At least I've got one bend started.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 3:30am
I formed my trans tunnel pieces with a hammer and 1 1/2" steel pipe - just bend around the pipe for the transition you want.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 2:19am
Hammers and dollies?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 12:27am
Got the old floors removed, cleaned up the perimeters and installed the passenger side...all in only a day and a half. The major time consumer was inducing 18 ga. steel into compound curves. I heated the bends as best I could with a propane torch to soften it, but there just wasn't enough heat to make the metal pliable. So I ended up whacking away at it with the help of my wife (she's a keeper) providing backing on the other side. With a little more cutting and patching, I finally got it reasonably close to correct. If I had more heat available I would have tried the heat/water trick. Anybody got a method to caress these floors into place?
Here's the final product.

Only one more side to go.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 11:57pm
With the chassis and drivetrain pretty much ready to go, it's time to get after the body. I braced it up with 1x4's in order to help keep it in spec before turning it on its side for inspection.

As expected, the passenger side floor is toast, driver's side has been repaired, but not a great job. All the bracing needs to be replaced.

Scraped off the crud and mud from the bed underside and it ain't too bad, thanks to the preservation properties of leaking seals. That's original red paint there folks. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the condition.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:15am
First start today and it runs great! Actually, I tried starting it yesterday, but all it did was pop and die. Finally figured out I was flooding the crap out of it. I pulled the carb and there was a pool of gas sitting in the intake manifold. Soaked it up and blew some hot air into it, replace the carb and it fired right up and purred like a kitten.

That pretty much covers everything I could do on a bare chassis, so now it's on to bigger and better things, namely the body. WooHoo!

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 6:59am
almost looks like a tire removal tools.....takes the tie off the wheel. but it's not.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:54pm
Good catch Ben, it indeed does look like some kind of skid plate for the e-brake, once it's turned over. However, not sure how much protection it would provide in a hard hit, especially since the free end attaches to a bolt on the transfer case. It might save the e-brake at the expense of the TC, not a good trade.

I have to say, whoever fabbed this thing up did a very nice job, despite it being a bad concept. I'm pretty sure one of the PO's worked at a local shipyard and this was a "government" project.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 4:20am
The second picture you posted on page 1 that piece is visible and as already mentioned is no doubt a home made e-brake skid plate. The same pic also shows the original skid plate is bent really bad, so this jeep must of drug it’s belly a lot. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

I don't recognize that as a 2A part. 

Me neither.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 1:26am
I think I see it upside down in your earlier pic of the dirty frame. Shape and location might make it a home made e-brake guard/skid plate mount. I know my '49 doesn't have one. 'Course I don't have an e-brake either.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
driller80545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller80545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:20am
Or skid plate?

47 cj2a
74 cj5
85 grand wagoneer
86 J20
driller80545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller80545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:19am
Something to do with the clutch, master cylinder linkage?

47 cj2a
74 cj5
85 grand wagoneer
86 J20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:56pm
I thought I took pictures of everything as I disassembled, but I missed this one. I'm going to flip it over and see if it makes more sense that way. It appears to be a cast or forged item so unlikely that someone fabbed it up in their shop as a one-off.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

I don't recognize that as a 2A part. 

Same
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>