Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin
    Posted: 17 June 2020 at 12:58pm
[/QUOTE]

Don't scrap it. That was a Newgren 3-point hydraulic lift frame. Someone here might want it. 
[/QUOTE]

It's up for grabs for the taking, as long as it gets picked up.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

OK, so today I got to do something that I've wanted to do ever since I picked this thing up. It has a gargantuan humongous mount for a simple trailer ball. Check this thing out!

It's constructed of a conglomeration of 1/2" plate, angle and 1 3/4" round bar, all full penetration welded together. I think the guy who did this misread the specs on the engine as 600HP versus 60. Anyway, after all that, the whole fabrication, which ways at least 100 pounds was bolted to the frame and bumper via six 3/8" bolts. Now, I ain't no structural engineer, this just ain't right. It's gotta go!

So here's everything removed from the chassis. There's a 1 1/2" solid square bar fitted on rotating shaft just below the ball that I have no idea what it's function was. I think the removal of this crap has just gained me another 5 MPH.

Don't scrap it. That was a Newgren 3-point hydraulic lift frame. Someone here might want it. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 1:12am
Sounds like the roller is the way to go. I think I'll practice with some watered down latex paint that I can wipe off right away without leaving a mess. I mean, what could go wrong?

Got the new trailer hitch installed, much cleaner.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 4:41pm
My experience with One Shot is it takes time to fully dry and you can work it to fix minor deviations.  I used stencils and didn't get the best results.  Using a small stick as a "burnishing" tool, I was able to clean up the edges/corners for a much better look.

The light touch foam roller idea sounds better.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:32am

Originally posted by CJ2atlas CJ2atlas wrote:

I did mine by hand. A small foam roller and just the right amount of pressure as I rolled across the letters and they came out nearly perfect.
Probably should practice on an old hood or tailgate first if you've got something laying around.

What did you use for paint?

One Shot sign paint 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 4:16am
It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I just used rattle can enamel also.
I was just impressed that it wasn't nearly as hard to make it look good as I thought it would be. There's a little bit of a learning curve to get the paint just past the crown of letters. I found it was best to do it in one relatively quick pass.
My first one didn't turn out as good as the rest. That's why I suggested a practice run if possible.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 3:38am
Nice!  As to the paint, I used a foam brush, not a roller, and plain old Rustoleum oil paint out of a can.  You can buy stencils and lightly "glue" them on and hit it with spray paint.  That's what I did for the little 4WD logo on the tailgate.  Again, I used Rustoleum rattle cans with same exact color of paint.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:48am
OK, so today I got to do something that I've wanted to do ever since I picked this thing up. It has a gargantuan humongous mount for a simple trailer ball. Check this thing out!

It's constructed of a conglomeration of 1/2" plate, angle and 1 3/4" round bar, all full penetration welded together. I think the guy who did this misread the specs on the engine as 600HP versus 60. Anyway, after all that, the whole fabrication, which ways at least 100 pounds was bolted to the frame and bumper via six 3/8" bolts. Now, I ain't no structural engineer, this just ain't right. It's gotta go!

So here's everything removed from the chassis. There's a 1 1/2" solid square bar fitted on rotating shaft just below the ball that I have no idea what it's function was. I think the removal of this crap has just gained me another 5 MPH.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:31am
Originally posted by CJ2atlas CJ2atlas wrote:

I did mine by hand. A small foam roller and just the right amount of pressure as I rolled across the letters and they came out nearly perfect.
Probably should practice on an old hood or tailgate first if you've got something laying around.

What did you use for paint?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Quick question, does anyone have a trick for painting (contrasting color) the "Willys" logo on the hood. I know if I try doing it freehand I'll screw it up.

Yes, hire a sign painter😄

Or a pinstriper. 

I was afraid that was the answer.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:18am

Quick question, does anyone have a trick for painting (contrasting color) the "Willys" logo on the hood. I know if I try doing it freehand I'll screw it up.
Yes, hire a sign painter😄

Or a pinstriper. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 1:05am

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 1:02am
Been a while hasn't it? Believe it or not, I've been hard at it in the past month and thinking I'm seeing a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

As of last month, I had the main body painted and most of the mechanical stuff worked out. Home free, right? Wrong. As they say, the devil is in the details. Nothing major, just annoying little things that either didn't quite fit or flat-out didn't work, parts that were shipped wrong, and finally, dumb mistakes by yours truly.

Probably the most frustrating glitch came in attaching the fenders and grill. They came up almost 3/4" short of meeting the main body. I was able to get them to mate up by a combination of shoving the body forward by half the distance and moving the grill mounting platforms back the other half. Everything fits and looks just fine now, but I'm at a loss as to why I had the misfit in the first place. Everything else was pretty much routine tweaking and swearing, standard stuff for projects. It all takes time.

So today I was able to put the final paint on the front end. It was an ideal day for paint in the driveway, cool temps, low breeze, low humidity and a bright sun. I'm happy with the outcome.

Just when I'm feeling pretty smug about the paint job, I jump in to move her out of the way and, you guessed it, won't start. Problem was a rotted fuel suction line that should have been changed as a matter of routine, but who has the time? Anyway, got it changed and she fires right up.

On to the next challenge, which is simply to attach all the parts that make it a Jeep. Oh, and by the way, the seat cushions that were supposed to be delivered last Thursday were delivered to Scottsdale, AZ on Saturday. WHAAAAAT?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the color comments. I actually started out with the intention of painting it Olive Drab, but then saw a pic of the yellow and that was all it took to change my mind.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:11pm
That body and the color are looking great, good job.  
Max
CJ2A 110861
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:53am
Nice progress! I love that yellow color.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:37am
Ol' Yeller's coming out party. Finally got her off jackstands and into open air where whe belongs. Everything went well, other than the operator's confusion about a 3-speed shift pattern.
https://youtu.be/HOFRVNXjBVQ

I'm actually seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. All I need to do to finish up is strip, repair, prime and paint the front fenders, hood, tailgate, grill and misc. parts. Never mind.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>