Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 7:07pm
Oil filter question answered. Not sure yet if I'll need one since miles driven will be minimal. I've built and rebuilt cars for decades and have always relied upon forums like this to help me through tough spots and to spend my money. I welcome your input.
Now off to Naw'leans, so you probably won't hear from me for another week, but will be hitting that Jeep like a ton of bricks when I get back.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 12:52am
Welcome to the page, Cheapsnake! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:07am
Welcome!  As others have said, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience at your disposal on this site - use it!

You will find that not everything is cut and dried. What things are not verifiable with documentation are usually usually confirmed with experience. There is never a shortage of opinions!

My 2A has the steering damper as you have. I have owned it for nearly half I'd it's life and feel it is an acceptable option, just like my passenger side windshield wiper, heater or tow bar. 

Take your time and take lots of pictures. It might be a while before it all goes back together.
Bruce
1949 2A
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 2:30pm
I'm back and the demo continues. The toolbox had to come out in order to fix (replace) the floor underneath. This was a 2 1/2 hour process, cutting out welds without destroying the toolbox. Pretty ugly below, but enough solid metal all around to be able to weld in new metal without replacing the whole floor. The crossbrace underneath is toast and will be replaced. Tub is coming off so time for that later. Today I continue the disassembly, hopefully with wrenches versus cutting tools.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 11:56pm
Not much to report, other than the continuing deconstruction. Glad to see as I get into the guts that the frame is very solid, other than a half inch layer of grease and mud.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2019 at 12:44am
I wish my whole jeep had a 1/2" of grease on it when I bought it LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2019 at 3:20am
I'm guessing you have plenty of time to think about it, but are you inclined to go back with the original color? If the firewall is one layer, it looks like it was red.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

I'm guessing you have plenty of time to think about it, but are you inclined to go back with the original color? If the firewall is one layer, it looks like it was red.

Still not sure where this thing is going yet, CJ-2a originality, M38 tribute, resto-mod? And yes, it appears this thing was red at one time, also yellow, also metallic blue/green and maybe a couple other colors hidden in there. I tend to think the original color was red.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of advice on which way to go, including colors and it's all welcome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2019 at 11:39pm
Trying to get stuff removed in preparation for removal of the tub. Major issue, as suspected is the removal of the steering column and box. A previous post has the shaft and box coming out the bottom as a unit. That would imply they are inseparable. Is this so or am I missing something? BTW, I had to cut the steering wheel nut off and I'm trying to find a puller that works with this wheel. Any thoughts?

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

A previous post has the shaft and box coming out the bottom as a unit. That would imply they are inseparable. Is this so or am I missing something?

Correct. Or leave in place and lift tub off, of course once the steering wheel is removed.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 12:30am
Welcome from another '46, with a serial #6XXXX.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 12:44am
Somebody on this site was making a cj steering wheel puller a number of years ago.
Wish I'd had a proper puller when I removed mine. It was seriously stuck and I ended up using a massive 3 jaw puller, pretty nearly destroyed my steering wheel. Don't go that route!

Edit: Kaiser Willy's makes the puller I was thinking of.

Edited by CJ2atlas - 02 Nov. 2019 at 1:07am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 12:56am
Cheapsnake said, "Trying to get stuff removed in preparation for removal of the tub. Major issue, as suspected is the removal of the steering column and box. A previous post has the shaft and box coming out the bottom as a unit. That would imply they are inseparable. Is this so or am I missing something? BTW, I had to cut the steering wheel nut off and I'm trying to find a puller that works with this wheel. Any thoughts?"

This has been discussed, at length, many times. Search, my friend, search.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 1:54am
I bought this gear puller from Harbor Freight and it pulled the steering wheel effortlessly. https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-puller-set-15-pc-62958.html 
Yes, the box and shaft are inseparable and must come out the bottom of the unit. You're not missing anything. Just a lot of wiggling, up and down, side to side, to slide it out. And oh yes, welcome!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

I had to cut the steering wheel nut off and I'm trying to find a puller that works with this wheel. Any thoughts?

I make a steering wheel puller for this application. PM sent.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 11:24pm
I found a gear puller that worked perfectly with the steering wheel (with a few mods) and figured this was the ticket. Wrong, I cranked on that thing with a breaker bar, whacked on it and doused it with PB Blaster to no avail. At this point, I had the choice of cutting the wheel off or cutting the shaft from the inside. I really wanted to save the original wheel and the steering gear had a good 180 degrees of slop in it so my decision was easy, the shaft had to go. Finally got it off and time to move on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 12:50am
Body's off and no surprises, other than caked on grease/mud up to 2" thick in places. However, I'm not complaining since it appears to have preserves the frame quite nicely. Original paint in some places.

There's a transmission in there someplace.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:00am
Youtube guy who goes by "metalshaper" uses what appears to be most of a coil of an automotive coil spring underneath the steering wheel to prevent the puller from damaging the wheel. I watched him do one... worked good.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>