Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 2:50am
“Around the block.” Nice pun.
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

“Around the block.” Nice pun.

Unintended, but I'll take credit anyway. Nice catch!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2019 at 2:28pm
Just got the crank back from the machinist, waiting for gaskets and seals.

There's a Jeep in there somewhere.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 1:32am
The holidays are over and I'm back to work on the Jeep. I took advantage of the holiday lull to send the block and rotating assembly out to Buck for a once-over. It probably would be OK with a quick hone, but as long as it was out I figured it's worth doing. For $150 he hot washed the block, installed the crank, honed and installed pistons with new rings and cut new valve seats, can't complain.
Hope to have it all back together tomorrow.

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 1:53am
Congrats. That's gotta be a nice feeling to make that step.

Also, either it's the angle of this photo or you have a really large sized garage. I'm looking forward to the day later this year when I have a work space again.

Sincerely,

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:39am
Good day today, got a couple hours this afternoon to hang goodies on the block. At this point, it's close to a running engine...except for oil, gas and spark.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 1:14am

With the assistance of my lovely assistant, the engine and tranny went home today. Surprising how easy it is when there's no body work in the way.

Note the clean electrical runs - just enough to get her to turn over and fire. Still have to rig up a temp "gas tank" before I can fire her up.

Ok, I'm stumped. The inverted bow attached to the frame seems to terminate in mid air behind the tranny. I know it was attached to something when I took everything apart, but can't imagine what that was. Anybody care to clue me in?

Stay tuned, hope to have some noise for you in the next couple days.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 3:25am
I don't recognize that as a 2A part. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

Same
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:56pm
I thought I took pictures of everything as I disassembled, but I missed this one. I'm going to flip it over and see if it makes more sense that way. It appears to be a cast or forged item so unlikely that someone fabbed it up in their shop as a one-off.
driller80545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller80545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:19am
Something to do with the clutch, master cylinder linkage?

47 cj2a
74 cj5
85 grand wagoneer
86 J20
driller80545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driller80545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:20am
Or skid plate?

47 cj2a
74 cj5
85 grand wagoneer
86 J20
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 1:26am
I think I see it upside down in your earlier pic of the dirty frame. Shape and location might make it a home made e-brake guard/skid plate mount. I know my '49 doesn't have one. 'Course I don't have an e-brake either.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

Me neither.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 4:20am
The second picture you posted on page 1 that piece is visible and as already mentioned is no doubt a home made e-brake skid plate. The same pic also shows the original skid plate is bent really bad, so this jeep must of drug it’s belly a lot. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:54pm
Good catch Ben, it indeed does look like some kind of skid plate for the e-brake, once it's turned over. However, not sure how much protection it would provide in a hard hit, especially since the free end attaches to a bolt on the transfer case. It might save the e-brake at the expense of the TC, not a good trade.

I have to say, whoever fabbed this thing up did a very nice job, despite it being a bad concept. I'm pretty sure one of the PO's worked at a local shipyard and this was a "government" project.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 6:59am
almost looks like a tire removal tools.....takes the tie off the wheel. but it's not.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 1:15am
First start today and it runs great! Actually, I tried starting it yesterday, but all it did was pop and die. Finally figured out I was flooding the crap out of it. I pulled the carb and there was a pool of gas sitting in the intake manifold. Soaked it up and blew some hot air into it, replace the carb and it fired right up and purred like a kitten.

That pretty much covers everything I could do on a bare chassis, so now it's on to bigger and better things, namely the body. WooHoo!
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>