Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 11:57pm
With the chassis and drivetrain pretty much ready to go, it's time to get after the body. I braced it up with 1x4's in order to help keep it in spec before turning it on its side for inspection.

As expected, the passenger side floor is toast, driver's side has been repaired, but not a great job. All the bracing needs to be replaced.

Scraped off the crud and mud from the bed underside and it ain't too bad, thanks to the preservation properties of leaking seals. That's original red paint there folks. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the condition.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 12:27am
Got the old floors removed, cleaned up the perimeters and installed the passenger side...all in only a day and a half. The major time consumer was inducing 18 ga. steel into compound curves. I heated the bends as best I could with a propane torch to soften it, but there just wasn't enough heat to make the metal pliable. So I ended up whacking away at it with the help of my wife (she's a keeper) providing backing on the other side. With a little more cutting and patching, I finally got it reasonably close to correct. If I had more heat available I would have tried the heat/water trick. Anybody got a method to caress these floors into place?
Here's the final product.

Only one more side to go.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 2:19am
Hammers and dollies?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 3:30am
I formed my trans tunnel pieces with a hammer and 1 1/2" steel pipe - just bend around the pipe for the transition you want.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 12:09am
I did the initial bend around the pipe. That was the easy part, but now I have to curve the bend in two places to match the shape of the trans tunnels and the bends have to be in the exact places. So I think I'll go back to placing the metal into place and hammering the crap out of it using the tunnel as a template. At least I've got one bend started.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 3:41pm
Floors and bracing...FINALLY! This turned out to be a much longer and tedious task than I had anticipated. For one, I opted to bend the floor panels into the trans tunnel vs. making hard corners. My mistake, the PO (Bubba) replaced the DS pan with bends so I assumed that was the "proper" way. Obviously, he had access to metal shaping tools and abilities than I. The PS floor was pretty much gone so I had no reason to believe the floors were installed with anything other than bends. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, after many hours of whacking, heating, cutting, patching, nudging and swearing I got the pans to look pretty decent. I still have a bit of oil canning, but not enough to notice when you step on the floor. I'm thinking I can correct a lot of it with a bit of heat and water.

The main issue with the bracing was simply locating the body mounts in the correct locations. I had one body mount (left rear) left on the body after removing all the bad stuff. I mapped the mount points on the frame and transferred those dimensions to the body using the one body mount I had left on the body as a reference point. Just as a bit of insurance, I'm going to open up the mount holes on the frame to 3/4". This will give me a little leeway in case the body distorted during all the pounding and welding it went through.

What's left on the underside of the body is just to clean everything up in preparation for paint. Thankfully, Bubba did a repaint with cheap paint and for the most part, I was able to remove it with a sharp chisel, the final cleanup with a flap disc and a good particle mask. The red you see is what I assume is the original factory paint and it's as solid as can be, a tribute to the paint technology and production of the time. It's going to stay and will get overcoated with epoxy primer, hopefully next week.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 1:49am
Still working to clean everything up and ready for paint. I'm taking everything in the bed and cockpit down to bare metal. The PO layed down a HUGE layer of paint and filler, but his prep wasn't too great so everything came up fairly easily with a little help from a propane torch and sharp chisel. I'm still amazed at the condition of the metal. The bed has some pitting and a few areas over the cross braces that required new metal, but that's the worst of it. Oh yeah, I forgot about the floors that were completely gone. Oh well, they're done. Haven't touched the exterior yet, but preliminary inspections tells me the paint is solid, so I may just do a coat of filler, wet sand and paint. Crossing fingers.

Tool box took a beating coming out so I'll have to rebuild the mounting edges. Actually, a bit of relief after the tedium of paint removal.

Next, mudding the dings, dents and welds. Coming together.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 1:51pm
Finally got to lay down some paint, two coats of epoxy primer followed by single stage Acrylic Urethane. Yes, it is yellow vs. Olive Drab. If anyone has followed my other thread debating whether to go originality or military tribute, you'll recall I opted for the military tribute. Obviously, I changed my mind...got some splain'n to do.
Anyway, I'm anxious to flip her over to do the topside and finally get it back on the chassis.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 2:32pm
Looking great, love the color. This thread has been a good inspiration for me. I hope to start my project this summer.

John 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 2:50pm
Thanks John and good luck on your project. Take your time and have fun with it.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 1:14am
And now for the topside. I treated the bed and floor pans with Herculiner truck bed liner and painted over it. I just hated the idea of putting down a nice smooth finish and having it scuffed up by dirty boots and cargo. I did a couple test patches before committing to the final finish and it held up very well. I found the trick is to lay down the paint (12-18 hours) before the Herculiner is fully cured. This way there is a chemical bond versus a mechanical bond once the bed liner is cured.

Had just about enough sanding, filling and painting I need, so I'm just about ready to drop the body back on the chassis and do some mechanical stuff.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 5:03am
Nice progress! I love the color you chose, I’ve always thought that Michigan yellow CJ’s were very handsome.

Edited by TateC - 21 Mar. 2020 at 5:05am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Nice progress! I love the color you chose, I’ve always thought that Michigan yellow CJ’s were very handsome.

Thanks Tate, I actually had plans to paint it Olive Drab as a military tribute, even had the paint in hand. Then I saw a pic of the Michigan Yellow and all plans instantly changed. Actually, the paint color is Kirker Ultra-Glo Performance Yellow, but close enough, especially considering the cost difference with a custom mix.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 1:43am
ClapHaven't been on the page for awhile. But found your thread. Glad to see you are bringing her back to life again. Looks like a good job. I think you are Waaaaay Better off keeping it as a cj2a in that beautiful yellow color. I am more of a purest I guess and just feel a cj2a is just that a cj2a. Same with a military
if its an MB, GPW or M38 keep it that way. It is what it is. They are always worth more the more original they are and you see them as they were meant to be, it seems to have more integrity. Just my opinion now. Although I must confess I have butchered up more then my share of jeeps in the past "improving them"Confused Now I wish I hadn't.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2020 at 2:07am
Nice work!

I painted a car bright yellow once, it was very popular with bees. 😊
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 11:50pm
Thanks guys, but I have to confess, my wife had a lot to do with "my decision" to go original. Happy wife, happy life.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 12:41am
OK, body on! Dropped on with little problem until I discovered a hit at the tranny tunnel. I had the option of jacking the body up with spacers under the body mounts, but I felt the stock driving position is already a bit awkward and raising the seat would make it more so. So I ended up doing some judicious grinding through the PTO hole. We are now good to go with some fun stuff. Is there any fun stuff on these things?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 1:23am
We have wheels. Woo Hoo!

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>